Metal Monthly: New Album Releases - January 2016

Starting a new thread series that explores the new metal albums being released each month. To make things simple and short, I'll be focusing on Doom and Thrash genres. If something isn't listed, feel free to post it.

Here's the list of January releases:

Doom Releases

Ape Cave - Pillars of Evolution (Psychedelic Stoner/Sludge/Doom Metal) - 1/1/16
Morning Sun - Ultimo Exhalario (Atmospheric Doom Metal) - 1/7/16
The Slayerking - Sanatana Dharma (Gothic/Doom Metal) - 1/7/16
Fatigue - The Fall After (Black/Doom Metal) - 1/12/16
The Lumberjack Feedback - Blackened Visions (Doom/Sludge Metal) - 1/15/16
Agonal - Death Defeated (Doom/Death/Gothic Metal) - 1/15/16
Lunarsapian - A Slow, Painful Life (Drone/Dark Ambient/Noise) - 1/15/16
Lycus - Chasms (Funeral Doom Metal) - 1/15/16
Motus Tenebrae - Deathrising (Gothic/Doom Metal) - 1/25/16
The Fog - Perpetual Blackness (Death/Doom Metal) - 1/25/16
Conan - Revengeance (Stoner/Doom Metal) - 1/29/16

Thrash Releases

Shotgun Cure - Amorphous (Thrash Metal) - 1/1/16
Dysnomia - Proselyte (Thrash/Death Metal) - 1/1/16
Mastemey - Mastemey (Thrash Metal) - 1/3/16
Massdistraction - Your Time (Thrash Metal) - 1/4/16
Beyond the Grave - Predicitions of Disgrace (Thrash Metal) - 1/5/16
Inevitable Plague - Exaltation of Spirit (Death/Thrash Metal) - 1/5/16
Padra - Hezartooye Tanafor (Thrash Metal) - 1/8/16
Exmortus - Ride Forth (Technical Melodic Thrash/Death Metal) - 1/8/16
Imperfect Souls - Necro Bestial (Thrash/Death Metal) - 1/12/16
Suppressive Fire - Bedlam (Black/Thrash Metal) - 1/14/16
Opprobrium - Serpent Temptation (Reissue) (Death/Thrash Metal) - 1/15/16
Raw - Battalion of Demons (Death/Thrash Metal/Crossover) - 1/15/16
Memorain - Duality of Man (Thrash/Speed Metal) - 1/16/116
Skullpture - Skullpture...The Sinister Art (Reissue) (Death/Thrash Metal) - 1/17/16
Crusher - Redemption (Thrash Metal) - 1/22/16
Dethrone - Incinerate All (Thrash/Death Metal) - 1/22/16
Megadeth - Dystopia (Speed/Thrash Metal) - 1/22/16
Maze of Terror - Ready to Kill (Thrash Metal) - 1/28/16
Exumer - The Raging Tides (Thrash Metal) - 1/29/16
Disquiet - The Condemnation (Melodic Thrash Metal) - 1/29/16
Master - An Epiphany of Hate (Death/Thrash Metal) - 1/29/16

Misc. Metal Releases

Jeff Hughell - Trinidad Scorpion Hallucinations (Technical Death/Progressive Metal) - 1/8/16
Aborted - Termination Redux (Death Metal) - 1/8/16
Abbath - Abbath (Black Metal) - 1/22/16
Borknagar - Winter Thrice (Black Metal (early), Progressive Viking/Folk Metal (later)) - 1/22/16
The Resistance - Coup de Grâce (Death Metal) - 1/22/16
Dream Theater - The Astonishing (Progressive Metal) - 1/29/16

5 Likes

Top Doom Picks for January

Ape Cave - Pillars of Evolution

Agonal - Death Defeated

The Fog - Perpetual Blackness

Conan - Revengeance

Top Thrash Picks for January

Exmortus - Ride Forth

Suppressive Fire - Bedlam

Exumer - The Raging Tides

Master - An Epiphany of Hate

The Slayerking is pretty good.

Yeah. I wasn't familiar with them. They have a pretty unique atmospheric doom sound. They are also interesting because they include some basic guitar solos in their tracks to add a melodic touch, which a lot of doom metal bands don't do.

I'm really digging Ape Cave - not only because they are a local band, but because I'm a sucker for the chant-type stoner/doom stuff :D

Suppressed Fire has a killer traditional thrash sound (ala Sodom) but with more dirty black-metal inspired vocals. Plus they add in blast beats now and then which is awesome.

And of course Exumer and Master a classic metal bands, so its always good to see them release stuff. Although, based on the preview, I prefer Master's older sound.

The Fog is right up my alley, so I'll be keeping tabs on those folks.

Saw Conan at Bloodstock last year, highly approve. Will check it out, thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I love their Horseback Battle Hammer EP. Hopefully this new album is more of the same.

@Alamar

You've just made my life so much easier.

This wiki is also good - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_heavy_metal_music

1 Like

Nice. I wasn't aware of that wiki page. Looks like there's some stuff that I need to add for January.

I will admit that I haven't heard of most of those bands.

Guess it's time to get more CDs then!

1 Like

Updated the list with some stuff from that wikipedia page. I'll be honest though, there's a lot of crap on that page imo lol. So much power metal (not the good kind either) for some reason.

Wtf happened to Borknagar? I was never a fan, but they used to be heavily in the black metal scene and now they are sitting around a campfire and singing viking folk tunes apparently . . . Here's their first album. Here's the promo for their new one. O.o

Dream Theater is busy being their crazy selves and releasing another zany concept album. Could be amazing, or could be terrible. We'll see. I lost a bit of interest after Mike Portnoy left. Mangini is an amazing drummer but just doesn't do it for me. There was a clear reduction in overall drum sound when they released the first album with Mangini on the throne and I don't think they've been able to recreate things from the Portnoy years unfortunately.

This is a really good idea for a thread series. You should strawpoll some stuff too; that'd be a neat addition.

1 Like

Hmm. Like which Doom album are you looking forward to? Which Thrash/Death album are you looking forward to? Favorite album on the month?

What did you have in mind?

Favorite of the month type stuff. One for each genre maybe. I think it'd be interesting

1 Like

Good idea. I might add that in.

Haha yeah there always is every year! Whoever keeps it updated does a great job though, so I refer to it every month or so just to see what I might of missed.

I did start using https://github.com/rembo10/headphones on my server to keep track of all the different artists I listen to as it shows new and upcoming releases. My media server isn't the most powerful system though, so processing is problematic and I just don't have the time at the moment to manually fix things like failed search results.

On my main system/listening station I'm running foobar2k with the Lastfm scrobbler to feed Headphones my artist info, saving me a bit of time but once again still problematic. The bonus is finding new release info on Lastfm, as well as similar artists. I do have issue with their recent web site redesign and am baffled at how they fucked it up so badly!