Arctic SP3 4u Rack Case Compatibility list

This is a thread about cases that work with the Actic SP3 CPU cooler designed for 4u cases.

Norco 4224 confirmed ok without 1mm to spare.

Caliper measurements :

Norco mobo standoff height 10.67mm

Mobo thickness to top of cpu: 12.66mm

Sp3 height from copper plate to heatpipe: ~152mm

Do you have the sp3? Post your confirmed-fit and confifrmed-not-fit below.

8 Likes

It’s a great cooler and I considered getting one, but after too much measuring figured it probably wouldn’t fit in my old supermicro case. They really could have saved a lot of headache by reducing the height by 5-7mm so it could fit into everything, I’m doubtful it would effect temps noticeably.

1 Like

I use a different Norco case, and I got -2mm clearance. but I just have to rest the lid slightly on the cooler.

Presumably it would cause damage over time to the motherboard, but I figure if it lasts another 2-3 years, then gen1TR should really be replaced anyway.

the case I got, a Norco clone, has a mobo plate under it.

I could remove the plate and have the mobo a bit lower to fit, but I’d just change the problem to the PCIe slots not being fully connecting.

Rather keep the PCi cards snug, and slightly rest the lid.

cases approx 19" * 26" * 7"

the other case has a nh-u9-tr4-sp3, which has plenty of clearance.

1 Like

It does not fit in a Inter-Tech 4724 because it has a motherboard tray elevated from the bottom of the chassis.
It fits barely in a Inter-Tech 4416 and I suspect it holds true for all other 4U 44xx series. 4408, 4410, 4420, 4424. That is, the lid goes on but it is a tiny bit convex.
I currently have it in a 4416 after returning the 4724 because it didn’t fit, not even with lower motherboard standoffs (4mm instead of the normal 6mm). Yes they exists and no I do not recommend it.
I use it with a ROMED8-2T and a Epyc 7551.

The 44xx series uses a standoff with a very short threaded insert in the bottom metal sheet of the case. Which is also a hassle because finding those in a lower height has proved to be impossible so far. So the next thing was looking at the SP3 itself. I’ve looked at somehow lowering the copper at the top. I’ve found in other forums not to heat heat pipes as to bend / mold the copper as the pipes will explode. The best option I found on another forum that I have to try out yet is to use a (small) hammer to make the copper more flat on top. I haven’t dared or tried this yet.

2 Likes

Fits great in my Fractal Torrent Compact.

1 Like

Confirmed fit with the EPYCD8-2T… Barely.

No room to spare at all, but it fits. :yay:

2 Likes

:ok: Sliger CX4000 series

This is a CX4150i with an ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T:

The heat pipe height is inconsistent, but clearance between the lid and the highest one is ~0.5mm. This does mean that setting an object on top of the case has the full structural support of the CPU, backplate, and motherboard will cost you time and money later. But for its intended purpose of being mounted in a rack, this works fine.

The CX4000 series all has similar construction, with a motherboard tray resting directly on the bottom shell, and 10mm board mounting standoffs.

1 Like

Good news/bad news:

Good news:

• Heat sink fits in RSV-L4000U 4U Server Chassis. About 0.5mm to spare.

Bad news:

• Fan does not (almost) fit on the case, due to the motherboard, ASRock WRX80 Creator R2.0.
  • Motherboard’s VRM heatsink/fan/TB4 module sticks up a lot. So I have to shift the fan up on the heatsink.
  • But doing so loses height/clearance for the case cover. The fan shroud is hitting the case cover, but the cover can be fully installed. Vibrations will be transferred to the case via the fan.

2 Likes

Do you think it might make sense to run only intake fam on the cooler given you have other fans pulling out air?

picture please ?

For sure it will work. Especially if you have fans pulling air at the back.

2 Likes

So I decided to ditch the Rosewill RSV-L4000U 4U server chassis and use a conventional tower case. For one thing is the cooler fan issue, I don’t like at all how it fits in the case, with the slight downward pressure from when the case lid is closed.

The other issue being the case itself being flimsy. Because of the size of the cooler, I can’t install the steel horizontal support bar that goes across the case. You can see the holes and the L-bracket for it in the picture above.
Without this bar, the case bends significantly diagonally when I pick it up or move it around, due to the huge weight. Since the motherboard ($$$) is screwed directly into the chassis bottom, the motherboard also flexes when the case flexes. I don’t like this at all. A $100 case should not damage a $1000 motherboard.

I switched to the Fractal Define 7 XL. Plenty of space to work inside of it, and no flexing. It’s heavy though, 37 lb empty and probably 50+ lb once fully populated. I put wheels on it to move it around, it’s not something you want to pick up and move.

3 Likes

Considering putting an arctic freezer 4u sp3 in my define 7 xl for the AMD 5965wx cpu. Do you still recommend it? I’m using the Asus sage swrx80e with all 8 rdimm slots filled. Hoping I won’t have issues with the cooler hitting or obscuring anything…

ACs SP3 4U is situated longways, akin for EPYC boards, having side notchings for RAM

Physically, there is no issues with fitment. Define 7 XL is spacious and a joy to work with. The heatsink has slots cut out for ram height. You may still need to move the exhaust fan up higher, but it doesn’t come near hitting the side panel of the Define 7 XL. The Arctic cooler is not as massive as say, a Noctua NH-D15 (which I also have in another system), that thing is giganto!

However, I’m not currently happy with the cooler’s performance. Please follow this thread:

Has anyone fitted 3rd party fans on this cooler? Looks like the bottom of the fans is notched, how tall would this be with regular sized RDIMMs and regular 120 mm fan on top of them?

I’ve bought Arctic stuff before and their plastic quality isn’t just what I want and I have some quality fans left over from other projects.

1 Like

The fans are built into a shroud, which slots into grooves on the heatsink. You might have some issues holding another fan to the heatsink.

Not insurmountable (lol) but not cleanly

I saw a photo somewhere where a person had fitted Noctua Chromax fans on it. I was just hoping to find that photo again :smiley:

1 Like

You’re probably looking for these pics (mounted with zip ties).

They’ll still barely clear standard RAM, at least in the boards I’ve seen so far. The shroud on the included fans has no corner frame on the bottom, it’s rounded to match the heatsink notch, which would help clear taller / accessorized RAM modules.

1 Like

As long as your ram is naked, or with very very minimal shroud, it’s a perfectly viable solution. I’ve done it myself.

1 Like