AMD Epyc Milan Workstation Questions

Never had any audio issue, and neither with the 3090. But most often when I have HDMI audio issues it turns out to be at a higher level, like the operating system defaulting to on-board audio or something like that.

I did disable the on-board VGA while in workstation mode, however: it was messing with Windows’ display output especially when I was switching my KVM to a different machine and back. Honestly, if you’re running your machine as a workstation, it’s better to disable the on-board VGA.

The main reason is that I get the Bios error listed above unless I am on the 3.15C Bios provided by Asrock (FRB3/Processor Startup/Initialization failure - Asserted). I’m not sure waht causes that or if it is in anyway related.

I have now been able to get HDMI audio through the GPU on Pop!OS but still have not had any luck with Windows bare metal or on any VM’s no matter how many times I do clean installs of the drivers or try different things within device manager.

On Windows, Nvidia Control Panel can see the display as an audio output device but Windows itself doesn’t see any available audio devices. I have tried using a bluetooth speaker to make sure it isn’t a general audio problem and that does work.

Is anyone else using a 7443P with ROMED6U-2L2T, and if so do you get the “FRB3/Processor Startup/Initialization failure - Asserted” error in bios?

Did you disable this in Bios? I was told that option is not available with using a Milan CPU on the ROMED6U, it doesn’t show up in Bios at all for me.

It doesn’t show up in my BIOS either, but you can still disable it in the Device Manager. For me, leaving it enabled caused issues with G-Sync.

I’m using a Rome CPU, so maybe there’s a difference. TBH I’m not entirely sure that I disabled it in the BIOS, it may have been in Windows only. The information is probably in one of my early posts on this thread if you have the patience to search for it.

As someone else has already mentioned: yes, they’re mounted using correctly-sized cable ties.

The rubber corner pieces produce more than enough friction to keep both fans securely in position.

I was intending to replace this with threaded rods and washers/nuts, but there’s little point as the cable ties work perfectly.

2 Likes

hey mate thanks for the reply, I tried your method already it works fine, and temps are really good for what it is! also tied 2 of them on the top of the chassis for extra support.

Hey everyone,

Could someone with a supermicro H12SSL-i weigh in on whether or not the black horizontal SATA ports on the motherboard are tall enough to interfere with the installation of long GPUs like Nvidia 4090s? I’m trying to pick between the H12SSL-i and the H12SSL-NT

I have a dual-rome system right now, in a H11DSi motherboard, but that board has some connectors that do block long GPUs, which I’m finally fed up with…

Actually a second question - does the H12SSL-NT come with SATA breakout cables?

Thanks.

Here is a $7 solution to your problem:

And here is a $200 solution to your problem:

If your GPU card is actually hitting the SATA ports, it sounds like a card manufactured outside the actual spec, the card should never hit the connectors itself.

1 Like

I ended up getting an Asrock ROME8-2T because it was available locally. I’m very happy with it, for what it’s worth! I don’t find the lack of connectivity to be a problem for my needs… Audio out via monitor (over HDMI), audio in via the webcam’s integrated microphone, and (with an external 4-port USB hub) enough USB ports for me overall.

But yes there were connectors on the H11DSi that blocked installation of a GPU over the “standard” length (e.g. the length of a quadro card).

2 Likes

Well, for the 2nd time, my H12SSL-NT has died after adding a PCIe card. The BMC is dead (again) and I’m pretty sure it’s the same failure as here : H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating" | ServeTheHome Forums

PSA: There are some incredibly delicate components by the BMC that can be physically damaged if you slip with a heavy GPU etc.

Was there any damage, or was it from static discharge? Maybe that is why the Asrock ROMED8 has a big heatsink covering the BMC components and NIC.

Looks like I chipped off the corner of one of the SMD’s - I was taking proper anti-static precautions.

Looks like the retail SKU (MBD-H12SSL-NT-O) includes the breakout cable below, but the bulk SKU (MBD-H12SSL-NT-B) does not.
SLIMLINE SAS x8 (LA) to 8 SATA x4,INT, 70CM,32AWG, 85 O
Source: H12SSL-NT | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

1 Like

Ah man. I just bought an H12SSL-CT. I’ll have to be super careful with it…

Thanks for the Proxxon torque screwdriver link. Just ordered one from Amazon UK, cheaper than the Wera and other “known” brands.
I have several Proxxon socket sets. Awesome tools.

1 Like

would this work for LGA3647 and 4189? lost my one i had on my Xeon Scaleable machine and looking to get a new one, sorry for talking about different product in AMD page.

I’m late to the party and you’ve probably decided, but this is not a problem on the H12SSL-I, I have two long cards covering them and there is 1-2 mm clearance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks very much for weighing in! Glad to hear it. Though, yes, I ended up with an ASRock ROMED8-2T just due to local availability. I’m happy with it. I preferred the supermicro IPMI, but not a big deal since I’m using this as a workstation.

2 Likes

Hope that posting in this thread gets me some suggestions… what PCIe cards would you get to make an Epyc Server board more “Workstation-Like”?

Other than GPU of course.
Is there a combo-IO board that has e.g. audio and more USB?
What USB cards would you go for?
In theory you can probably get by by adding tons of USB ports and then adding peripherals that way.
Has anybody gotten a high quality audio card?

How about Wifi (I probably won’t need it for now though).

Any and all suggestions welcome!