Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

I have moved it to The small linux problem thread
Thanks.

Quake Champions. Fedora 28, Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers.
New drivers fix texture flashing.
Two options set on steam plus Proton 3.7.3.
Get through the intro screen.
From there on in, game is slow to respond to user input.
Managed to start a game.
Again, gameplay too slow.
Crashed.
Try with Proton 3.7.4. Beta tested.
User interface faster. Joined a match. Crashed.
More work needs to be done on Quake Champions to get it to run without crashing.
Test videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8GzUQ4vASHCVRk_i3kSruA/videos

Bye.

Wolfenstein: The New Order runs great.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus runs with the new mesa drivers.
However.
Some more work needs to be done.
CPU and GPU threads are maxed out even on low quality video settings.
The FPS, even on Low settings with FXAA is only ~ 10 FPS.
Pity.
Visuals look great.
Perhaps Bethesda may help.
Bye.

GTAV does work with a couple work arounds, I’ve been playing online with friends, it’s not 100% though, it starts chugging after a few hours.

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Steam Play: Windows Games on Linux (WINE fork called Proton)

Tested the following in Fedora 28 with the Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers and Proton Beta.

Sniper Elite 4. - Still will not start. Gives error message.
Star Wars Dark Forces. Runs o.k.
STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II runs but only in small window in top RHS of the scree. Needs fixed.
I will finalise testing today.
Bye.

Retested Ashes of the Singularity escalation Fedora 28 and Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers and Proton Beta. The stardock launcher shows up then press launch then stardock launcher looks like section of Steam GUI. Completely broken.

@Dje4321 I have a very similar system to yours (Sandy Bridge, FirePro M6100, Fedora 28.) Have you managed to get Vulkan to run on the Radeon driver? I’ve got Vulkan support with the experimental amdgpu driver, but the only thing I can get to work is Skyrim SE.

My GPU doesnt support vulkan, DX12, or even DX11 properly

alright:

• Dark Souls PTDE (Not remastered) works fine, hitches at some loading breakpoints, but that’s normal for using it under wine too
  • Dragon Ball Fighter Z Loads into blackscreen and never recovers
  • Darksiders Loads and plays but the menus are completely broken, both at the start screen and ingame
  • Brothers, a tale of 2 sons crashes before startup
  • The Witcher plays perfectly
  • Castle Crashers works fine
  • Pit People works fine

Last big title to test is MH:World

New update:

Steamplay is in the mainline client now. You do not need to opt into the beta to enable proton.

2 Likes

That said, if you are testing new games I recommend using the beta, because that will have the latest updates.

1 Like

Yeah, for testing purposes, the beta is still recommended. But for anyone who just wants to play some proton compatible games, just stick with the stable build.

1 Like

Just tested Prey. It runs really well. Video recorded.
Fedora 28 and Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers and Proton Beta.

I am testing Doom 2016 next.

1 Like

So …

Doom 2016 with Fedora 28 an the following drivers:
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.0-devel
Running with Steam Play Proton Beta.

OpenGL performance looks to be on par with the performance seen running the AMDGPU/PRO Drivers on Ubuntu 16.04LTS.

Vulkan Performance is terrible.
I see 3 FPS using the same DOOM Settings on the same test scene.
The Vulkan performance is much worse than the OpenGL performance.

You may question - why am I running Mesa 18.3.0-devel?

Because those drivers were installed along with an OS patch update…
I will try to roll back to 18.2.0-rc4 drivers next.

Bye.

I can’t seem to get mine to work on setup it keeps saying to specify the location of part 7 even though I have it pointing ot the right directory. It’ll just throw the error “The file could not be located in the installer’s folder. Please make sure that the file is in the correct folder, or specify its current location.” Did you have this happen?

Monster Hunter: World works!

Volumetrics make it a slide show and a few particle effects are broken, but if you turn those off, it’s completely playable.

2 Likes

Brilliant News.
If it is really working well on Steam Play Beta already on Linux that could get much interest right now.
The more AAA games we can get tested the better.
Any chance you could record a video of your testing and put it on Youtube so we can see it?
Obviously Steam would have to Whitelist it first.

1 Like

Failed to roll back to Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers.

Asked for help/advice here: The small linux problem thread

This might be a problem with Vulkan performance on the Mesa Drivers and Vulkan though.

I note, for example, that Wolfenstein: The New Colossus only manages ~ 10 FPS, running on 18.2.0-rc4 drivers.

As a cross check I will go and install Wolfenstein: The New Colossus on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / AMDGPU/PRO installation and see how that performs in the meantime. Doom ran great on that. It looks like the MESA Vulkan performance is very poor. It looks like something is broken. It could of course be something on my Fedora 28 installation.