Steam Play: Windows Games on Linux (Proton Discussion)

This is what EVE does. Rather than port the whole thing which would be ridiculous they just tweaked it to work nicely with wine.

I think your mindset on this might be looking in the completely wrong direction. Your replies don’t make much sense, it almost seems like your trying to say two different things to the point where I don’t even know what point your trying to get across.

proton/wine has been around for a long time. Steam just makes it easier to use now. Some games make use of it really well without needing to post complex code to a system that barely registers on the worth it scale. Add a plus onto that that proton will mark the game as Linux when played (correct me if I’m wrong) and it gives dives and insight into who’s using their game on what platform.

That data can change minds for the devs who see that a native port will benefit them. But proton/wine is going to be a good choice for other games, old game which are not longer in development, complex games that can’t easily or affordably be ported (eve for example).

A moment ago you said all games using proton need to work 100%, now your saying proton is bad. maybe it’s worth looking at what your position is and all the moving parts involved? its not as simple as a or b.

3 Likes

Oh, if there is I’ll move the relevant posts there.

3 Likes

@misterk81 I tweaked the title slightly, hope that’s alright.

2 Likes

i did not state it was bad i stated it gives devs no reason to code for linux if they know someone is going to do the work for them for free and still means they get the same customer base. humans are lazy if you know there is a group doing that work and if leads to bugs you can deny that its your fault. i love what proton is doing i love how steam is making games work. but it does not mean 1:1 for the game nor the overall market shift.

Frankly, I think that as they see more people interested in Linux, more developers will start checking that box on their builds. Because that’s really all it is for a bunch of the big engines these days. Keep in mind that steam also released a feature to the store where users can express interest in a game coming to a specific platform which will allow Steam to share the info with developers.

More importantly, this is not perfect, it never will be. This is a stopgap to help gamers, nothing more. Any developer that takes pride in their work will want to release natively if they care at all about the platform in question, otherwise they’re at the mercy of a goddamn open source project.

It doesn’t give the devs no reason to code for Linux, it gives them even more reason to code for linux.

1 Like

It’s all good.

Also, new news:

Valve has steamplay in the non-beta stable Steam Client. So you don’t have to enter in the beta to try this now. But I would imagine that the beta will still get more updates for those testing games.

5 Likes

You’re missing that WINE is a pretty old project and doesn’t work in a lot of new games. There’s no reason why it would work overnight just because it has a new name.

Also games don’t even work in Windows a lot of the time. Especially older games work better on WINE a lot of the time at this point.

I mean we also have native Linux games, quite a lot of them at this point. And it’s still not really finding adoption with the “normies”. That tells me it’s not a matter of the platform.

1 Like

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Proton’s real purpose is to increase Linux user numbers. Once that is achieved, dev’s will want to make Linux versions in order to increase sales.

2 Likes

Also (and this is just speculation) devs probably get a small discount to make them Linux compatible in some way. Pretty sure that’s happening with the native Linux titles already as well.

1 Like

If this isn’t true, that’s what I always thought Valve should do. Consider a title like Fallout 4, just a 5% discount would probably save millions. It would be more than enough money to pay for the port.

2 Likes

I’d imagine if the next Wine version (3.15) has no regressions, It could be the new base version for Proton. It has many threaded operation enhancements.

Ive been using the link below and almost all the games I wanted are now working.

https://spcr.netlify.com/

While old games I liked where great on ubuntu 14.04 when I put my toes in. I quicky left that behind. Abopted AMD and fedora in the end for a semi stable for me distro with AMDGPU.

Now this Valve initiative is well under away. For me some old games I miss with some launch command line edits in the steam linux client are back.

Am enjoying supreme commander: forged alliance again.
“Lets the good times roll”
PS then beta beta steam launch fix is a lowly;

PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command%

2 Likes

So I have a question about this new revelation. Does this mean that now without opting into the beta, I can just install steam Windows games, or is this still a feature I will have to turn on?

I somehow borked up steam when I updated it a few days ago and have to re-install it. So wondering if this is an option I have to turn on, or is it just going to turn on, on it’s own?

At the moment it is an opt in beta or you just get the normal client on linux that plays linux games.

Thanks! Just makes the decision easier for me! Gonna reinstall it.

Heads up: The Experimental branch of Subnautica no longer supports OpenGL. It breaks DXVK on Proton and Wine. You need to use PBA on wined3d to even play the game at all on the experimental branch.

The stable branch of Subnautica also updated to break OpenGL launching. So much for “It works fine with Wine, so we don’t need to make a Linux port.”

Is there a way to force proton? For some reason it doesn’t want to let me play Skyrim Special Edition on linux.

Yeah, in steam settings, under “steam play” there’s a checkbox for it.

Awesome! This is what I was looking for! Now Im ready to go nuke my windows install.

I tried openSUSE Tumbleweed, since that is what I use on my laptops, but I hit a few snags. I could get most things done and having the latest and greatest drivers is nice, but I couldn’t get EVE Online to work, so I instaleld Xubuntu and got it working with wine-development.