What Hidden Windows 10 Features do you Like?

But why does it find it when I type the whole name in? It comes off as intentional.

Still doesn’t convince me that it’s not a terrible feature. Even If it is intentional I still have to work even harder to walk my remote users through doing very simple administrative tasks.

Like when trying to get the device manager up from search.

“did it show up yet? keep typing, it should show up.”

You expect it to work similarly to W7 but it doesn’t. Petty annoyance I suppose.

Same thing happens with other .EXE files without start menu shortcuts. It’s just a generally craptacular search implementation, not deliberate.

Just fyi, if you haven’t already you should provide feedback on this then.

1 Like

Just a petty annoyance. I want to take the opportunity to refocus the discussion towards hidden Windows 10 features I do like. (sorry admins)

1 Like

We actually have a topic on WSL as well (feel free to contribute to it) Getting Windows Subsystem for Linux

1 Like

Right-click start menu -> Device Manager.
Thank me later.

3 Likes

thanks

Okay, I’ll add another feature I like…

Edge has a cool emulation feature as well, this is a step in the right direction! Goodbye browserstack!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand … Advertising your programs as better than others inside the OS = step in the wrong direction…

That was in IE10 already.

1 Like

Must’ve been, ya know… hidden :wink:

Yeah well, the Dev tools have been there since IE7(?), maybe 8 but they were never always a little shitty, they were in the main menu though :smiley:

1 Like

I can now confirm that you are wrong about this. Win10 still ignores the group policy against forced reboots after updating.

1 Like

i to can confirm that windows ignores local group policy towards windows updates altogether , as of the 2017 spring update. i dont know if it respects domain policies or not, i am not in that environment at work. we are running 10 pro there. perhaps enterprise is different, i do not know.
just for the sake of info:
i had set the notify to download and notify to install settings (due to very limited bandwidth i have discussed this elsewhere on this forum) , and was updating the machines manually from a flash drive.
updated to the spring 2017 update, and finished the update as instructed.
once done, the other machines lost internet connectivity, and upon investigating , i found that windows update was downloading updates, and the local policies above i set were still set. so it was ignoring those policies.
i had to pull the ethernet cable to stop that and use a registry hack to set the ethernet port as metered to to the unwanted behaviour. i have to redo the hack upon almost every windows update as windows keeps setting it back to the unmetered state.

I keep seeing people with their Cortana bars enabled Eg:

You can hide it in that same setting. If you’re worried about not being able to search in the windows menu, just start typing when you hit the windows key.

1 Like

I wondered how to do this. I never use that bar

2 Likes

First thing I do when setting up a new PC. I also unpin that cascade windows button and all the other crappy first party apps on the windows bar.

So mine looks like this:

1 Like

Amen to that. I turn all that crap off.

1 Like

Also I run shutupwindows10 after updates.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

1 Like

Slightly out of scope of the topic kindof. I’ll add though i tend to just suggest that people be careful with these things, they can break your system. Its like the Fedora equivalent of fedy people use it not knowing what its doing and then are screwed when they have a hosed system as no one will help them.

1 Like