What Hidden Windows 10 Features do you Like?

Could just be an actual bug for some people.

Maybe they changed it in 1803. Previously you had to go to extreme measures for Win10 to not force a reboot after an update, including taking ownership then denying access to files and disabling task scheduler entries. I still have all that stuff set, it would be great if I could revert those changes and just use the policy.

If this was a bug, it was a bug for 100.00% of people. It looked like MS did it deliberately.

Definitely possible.

Mayhap. I go in spurts of 100% Linux to 100% Windows after either of them have failed me in some shape or form. I am the worst when it comes to rage quits :frowning:

Now, with a few tools, you can build a pretty badass Linux environment in Windows. Personally, Iā€™ve never had a problem with reboots, but I typically close everything before screen locking, so if it happens to reboot at 3:00 AM or whenever I never noticed :man_shrugging:

However, since enabling those GPOs, Iā€™ve had to manually click Install Updates or Reboot, while getting notified daily if I donā€™t do it. I have notifications on, because I never found it bothersome.

I never close anything and have a BIOS password set, so it was super-obvious when Windows screwed me by rebooting against my will, because I would come to a ā€œENTER PASSWORD:ā€ screen burning into my monitor.

Sadly WSL still doesnā€™t work with the windows firewall, so I stick with separate machines and VMs. That bug was actually fixed but it didnā€™t make it into 1803, will be in 1809.

Actually, I havent updated W10 to the April fools rollup yet. Wrecks AMD GPU drivers, from what I hear

The only time Iā€™ve witnessed the auto update usurping group policy was when I used to put my PC to sleep. Though I wouldnt put it past M$ from prioritizing some updates over user preferences

Didnā€™t have any issues (R9 390) on insider.

I had driver issues one time, but thatā€™s half a year ago. Also you can always roll back as long as you donā€™t delete the previous version.
^which is actually a pretty nice feature IMO.

2 Likes

Windows 7 was the first time I saw that feature.

To be honest most of the improvements that I enjoy with this iteration of windows have to do with the expanded explorer features. This isnā€™t necessarily hidden but it does deserve an honorable mention.

My mouse hand thanks you all for this reminderā€¦ I had forgotten that these features existed.

1 Like

This is part of why I became a big fan of Win + R

Is that not intentional? Thatā€™s an admin application. There are a handful I think you have to explicitly search for using the whole name.

Even if itā€™s intentional it is a terrible feature because if i began typing ā€œregeā€ then it should find it. CMD and other tools donā€™t have the problem.

Right, but you have to run regedit as admin, not the others. I could be wrong, but that was my impression. Iā€™ve not had to use diskutil, regedit, of devmgmt in a long time

1 Like

Doesnā€™t that basically defeat the whole point of searching for it? If Iā€™m typing in the whole name, I might as well just open up Run

Not in my opinion. Multiple avenues to accomplish the same task. Win + R vs Win type the command.

Again, Iā€™ve not read this anywhere, but I interpreted it as a fail safe. Rather specify the command than type ā€œReā€ and that be the first thing that comes up. People everywhere would probably spam delete to ā€œsave disk spaceā€ not knowing what theyā€™re doing.

Itā€™s entirely possible thatā€™s the case.
(I may be giving Microsoft too much credit here) In that scenario Iā€™d think there would be a setting somewhere to allow these admin tools to show as search results without typing the entirety of the name. Again, maybe Iā€™m assuming too much of MS.
Regardless, that would be a nice setting to have

I mean yes and no. Local profiles can edit the registry unless it had been explicitly blocked by group policy. Otherwise in enterprise settings, itā€™ll be locked down.

You can observe this and other problems with the search feature.

Try searching for devices and printers.

Win7 Pro here at work. regedit.exe doesnā€™t show up in the search until you type out the full name either.

regedi doesnā€™t cut it:

2 Likes

If enough people rally theyā€™ll do it. There is a whole ecosystem around ā€œDeveloper Modeā€. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll make an ā€œAdmin Modeā€. Of course, they probably consider shell.azure.com Admin Mode lul.

Admins make up such a tiny portion of the population (then again, so do developers I guess), that they would have to change a lot to start catering to them. Iā€™m curious to see the search results in 2012R2 and Server 2016 vs 8.1 and 10.

No Windows in sight for as far as the eyes can see :man_shrugging:

Sorry, I will try on a VM tonight if I remember and let you know.

1 Like