What Hidden Windows 10 Features do you Like?

I wondered how to do this. I never use that bar

2 Likes

First thing I do when setting up a new PC. I also unpin that cascade windows button and all the other crappy first party apps on the windows bar.

So mine looks like this:

1 Like

Amen to that. I turn all that crap off.

1 Like

Also I run shutupwindows10 after updates.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

1 Like

Slightly out of scope of the topic kindof. I’ll add though i tend to just suggest that people be careful with these things, they can break your system. Its like the Fedora equivalent of fedy people use it not knowing what its doing and then are screwed when they have a hosed system as no one will help them.

1 Like

Fair enough. It never hosed one of mine but I get your point. It does allow you to do a registry back up before you apply the settings. So yeah, use it with caution.

Perhaps the only privacy feature, random mac address.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027925/windows-how-and-why-to-use-random-hardware-addresses

2 Likes

Can confirm. Using it on insider is not a smart idea if you don’t know what each setting does.
It breaks the connection to the activation server and windows will start bluescreening until you reactivate properly. At some point it will no longer boot. Took me a few days to figure that out (even though the BSOD is pretty clear on that, I just didn’t know what deactivated it). Took some days to reactivate properly and almost 2 months to get me another insider update which in itself was problematic because Microsoft’s certificate ran out during that time so I couldn’t use admin tools anymore.

Anyway, if you use that, know what you’re doing.

Yup first thing I turned off, waste of space. I thought this was common knowledge.

Basic rule of thumb: right-click all the things and see what happens.

an excuse for me to install gentoo

Interesting. Have you tried enabling GPO Loopback processing?

GPEdit > Computer Config > Admin Template > System > Group Policy > Loopback processing (the last option on my VM)

Replace should work, I think.

And you can switch between the desktops with Ctrl + Meta + .

Also, instead of Meta + Tab, you can swipe up on the touchpad with three fingers, assuming you are using a compatible laptop.

That policy does not exist, it must be for domain controllers/servers only. Or perhaps just on clients that log on to a domain, which I don’t do.

Ah, sorry man. Crappy position that Microsoft put power users and professionals in. I wish there was a way to circumvent active hours all together. They seem to be getting lenient, but it’s annoying that it exists at all.

There is, you just need to go through the rigamarole of taking ownership and denying access to that reboot task in the filesystem and disabling it in task scheduler. It’s a huge pain in the ass, but it does work. Basically follow #2 in this link:

It is only in the insider preview, regular windows stays activated when it’s activated once.

1 Like

I have heard that they force updates due to attack surface of vulnerabilities, but I’m not so sure about that.

Has anyone read this? I’m wondering if it’s worth it…

I think I just want to start using powershell more.

https://www.informit.com/store/windows-10-in-depth-includes-content-update-program-9780789754745

Might have been at their recommendation.

1 Like

Get a project that actually requires power shell. You’ll learn as you need it and you’ll retain the information better.

1 Like

This one is going to be real tough. Putting my grudges, and personal biases aside I do like the Windows Subsystem for Linux. I can use it instead of putty to SSH into other devices.

1 Like