Welcome to Level1 Devember!

This year I’ll be building a mobile game in Unity, it’ll be a simple tower builder to play whilst in the throne. I’m a self taught software engineer from Lisbon currently working as a Frontend dev for a startup. :slight_smile:

PS: Thanks for the help @w.meri!

4 Likes

@Diogo_F_Marques and @Tyler_Lindberg

I’ve upped your permissions so you should be able to link threads and stuff now.

I think that’s everybody that needs it so far?

2 Likes

Hello there! I’m Kolton, I’m a sysadmin in Southeast Missouri and I do lots of things : P

My #devember2020 project is a continuation of an existing project I’ve been working on: reasonably affordable hardware/software to control O gauge model railroad locomotives from a phone or computer. Read more about it in my post.

My github account is here, but I don’t have the files for the project public yet; I want to get something that actually works and is somewhat polished before releasing the source.

3 Likes

Ola, I’m a web dev, and i’m planning to make kind of a youtube subscriptions page generator/player thing by using only stuff included in almost any linux distro, so bash, sed, grep…

Generated html file will be OK for most browsers.

I already did some of the work, but I need to finish it, so this is going to be a nice incentive

6 Likes

Currently been writing my whole infra as code :slight_smile: Maybe I can see what it takes for typhoon to support linode

1 Like

My small project is to make a CPU simulator/assembly interpreter to better display and compare low level algorithms

5 Likes

I an odd SFF/desktop build that I want to turn into an NDI streaming server. It’s currently configured with NGinx/RTMP but it isn’t getting much use because I had trouble configuring it more multiple stream transcodes. Also, the nginx-rtmp module hasn’t been updated, not currently maintained, and only compiles on older versions of Ubuntu LTS.

PC specs:
R7 2700
ASUS TUF B450M Pro
32 GB DD4 3200 RAM
Nvidia Quadro P1000 GPU
256GB NVME SSD
Current OS - Ubuntu 18.04
Current Software - Nginx 1.14, Cuda/nvenc 5.0, ffmpeg 4.2, nginx-rtmp-module git master

Goal:

Install current version of Fedora or Ubuntu with nginx-ndi and compile nvenc for ffmpeg.
Configure Nginx, nginx-ndi, ffmpeg/nvenc to allow multiple simultaneous nvenc x264 encodes to Twitch, Youtube, and archive a 1080p/60fps stream to my Proxmox-based storage server.

Strengths: 10+ years experience with ffmpeg, streaming media, and Linux based web applications
Challenges: No experience with NDI

2 Likes

Would setting up my home network (router, firewall, NAS & VMs) be a valid project?

2 Likes

Wow, this one’s gonna be fun to follow.

2 Likes

Devember is targeted more towards software development, but that’s not to say that you shouldn’t do that project.

To Quote the top post:

So, I think if you’re not doing any software development, it’s not technically devember.

But you’re still chasing knowledge, which is just as valuable.

2 Likes

I’m new here, but I liked the challenge. So I decided to post here. I’m experienced in development, but I’m new to cloud tech like S3/Object storage. It looks legit. So far, I’ve done some research into Amazon S3 and Minio. It looks like the future of file storage. Not the same use-case as GlusterFS, but I’m sure it can provide a similar use case for most of the time you want file storage. I wish more projects would support attaching to a Minio instead of using a filesystem. Something like Plex, with a media library in Minio I think could be powerful.

I am not sure if I will open source it while I’m working on it. But I think I will blog my progress in the thread if there is interest.
Thread here: S3 Frontend

2 Likes

Hi I’m Jack,

I just joined recently. I’ve been watching the level1 podcast for a while, and the devember challenge sounded fun. I haven’t worked with databases/rest apis much in my school studies or my (rather short at this point) professional career. So something using those two I figured would be ideal.

My plan was to try to create a web service to store and manage my wallpapers and their color data I use for theming my WM and terminal. I’ve previously used a script and git to handle this, and I felt it would be a fun step up.

Here’s my project’s thread, we’ll see how it goes.

3 Likes

Hello,

I studied electrical engineering but I work as these days is as a senior software dev. The product I work on is a lot of numeric methods, modeling and visualization and is primarily built in python and C. In the last couple years I have done less and less coding and more mentoring, code reviews and customer support type work.

Still refining my idea for the project but I have been wanting to get back into working with micro controllers and electrical engineering type work and am in the process of moving to a new house. So I thought a home automation project would scratch a few itches. I think the full goal would be to have 3 to 6 temperature/humidity sensor modules in the new house and link them all to a single control unit that would control the furnace, humidifier and HRV and also be controllable by an API (or small android app).

For Devember I am sticking to the more coding oriented tasks:

• pick a processor for the control unit and get some sort of authentication working [Devember]
  • build an API to get the current status and set desired temp/humidity [Devember]
  • build a basic android app that uses the API to control the controller [Devember]
  • setup a hosted portal for limited portion of the API [Devember]

Given the up coming move I don’t know how far I will get. There are also going to be some more hardware tasks that need to get done but I will leave that for the thread: smart-home-combined-furnace-humidifier-and-hrv-control. I am also hoping that others will be working on home automation projects this year and they might provide or find solutions to some parts of this project.

1 Like

If you’re struggling to think of a project, check out Advent Of Code which provides a new coding challenge to tackle every day in December.

2 Likes

A foreign paradigm in a foreign language against a foreign API…plus 10 years of codeless rust…what could go wrong?

I was worried I bit off more than I could chew. It has not been easy. But things are starting to take shape so I feel safe to share:

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am going to be working on my Proxmox asymmetric cluster management thing. Many years ago (I think it was in 2015?) I wrote a crappy script demo-ing that maybe auto-migration of high load VMs between an un-balanced cluster (low power nodes and high power nodes) could be a thing.

So… I am actually making that work now… hopefully.

Project Thread

I would like to pre-face this with, I am not a Python programmer nor do I pretend to be one. So this is also me learning Python.

3 Likes

Hi All!
Hopefully it’s not too late to join?

I am going to be building a system for embeddable web comments using the Matrix protocol.
It’s basically going to be an embeddable HTML/JS thing, so you can use it easily on static sites (like hugo / jekyll stuff).
It’s all going to federate using the Matrix protocol, so it will have some interesting properties re: resiliency and privacy.
I’m also writing the whole thing in Elm, which is a blast!

I just signed up for the forum (have been L1 fan for years now). If somebody will give my account permissions, I can make a proper post describing the project :snowboarder:

3 Likes

Thats awesome. I did a quick and dirty project like that for a class at uni. Hope yours goes well.

1 Like

Alrighty I put up my devember post!

It’s a rough overview of the why and the how of what I’m building (Matrix web comments thing).
I intentionally left out a bunch of interesting design details, to try and keep it brief.
So if you have any questions, come and talk to me! I’ll gladly elaborate :racehorse:

4 Likes

When you make more progress than expected you enter the challenge.
I have wanted to explore the esp32 and learn micropython, mainly to see how far this combo can go before you need more horse power. I want to explore automation, “web dev”, device interface (real microcontroller stuff), addressable LED control, and whatever else comes my way as explore this micro.

2 Likes