The small BSD problem thread

This thread is dedicated for problems that don’t necessarily deserve their own thread. Post your small problems in here if you think that’s a good idea.

I of course took that text from the OP of the Small Linux problem thread, which was written by wkpsfbx.

9 Likes

The link that I shot over to you in Zippys thread, was the openbsd ports tree ( repository ) that I was looking in. In there, bspwm is not listed.

But since you know that bspwm is already included by default, you should just be able to do sudo pkg_add bspwm. And that should work… Hopefully.

@WolfTech716

That’s what I was thinking too, but the issue I’m running into is that nothing displays after adding the package. If I initiate startx, it simply initiates the default environment, nothing more. I do believe I’m missing something…

1 Like

Did you edit the .xinitrc file to include bspwm?

I think that the default environment is TWM… Or maybe FVWM. Both are very cool.

1 Like

Alright I’ll need to give this project recon more effort now. The issue I have ended on is trying to get bspwm to start, which it gives me this error: `The server closed the connection: can’t parse display string.’ Any help is appreciated!

How are you trying to start bspwm?

1 Like

I’ve tried running bspwm, trying to create a .xinitrc file and running startx and that’s it I believe…

1 Like

It should work with .xinitrc and startx, see the documentation here:
https://man.openbsd.org/startx
There is an example .xinitrc showing the use of twm instead of bspwm.

Hm, I must be doing something wrong or missing a package, because my .xinitrc file has one line stating “exec bspwm”

It may be that I’m asking for more than my knowledge can grasp right now.

1 Like

Try this in your .xinitrc

sxhkd &
exec bspwm

Has anyone ever configured pfsense as a “transparent” firewall using a bridge? I want a configuration where WAN to LAN is bridged but firewalled, preferably with an IDS as well as PF.

I’ll use an OPT interface for management.

1 Like

Did you get it going??

This needs to be merged in to the BSD topic request thread

1 Like

I have a problem… I need a newbie guide to BSD

1 Like

Maybe we can bribe freqlabs to write one.

1 Like

yes! @freqlabs always seems to know what to do when BSD questions are asked

I have vidia games @freqlabs … but thats about it for bribes, well likes…when I get them

1 Like

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

The FreeBSD newcomer will find that the first section of this book guides the user through the FreeBSD installation process and gently introduces the concepts and conventions that underpin UNIX®. Working through this section requires little more than the desire to explore, and the ability to take on board new concepts as they are introduced.

Once you have traveled this far, the second, far larger, section of the Handbook is a comprehensive reference to all manner of topics of interest to FreeBSD system administrators. Some of these chapters may recommend that you do some prior reading, and this is noted in the synopsis at the beginning of each chapter.

4 Likes

MY EYES

so bright

2 Likes

@Goalkeeper I did not, I’ll have to try again soon. I think it had something to do with the .xinitrc being kinda mishmash when I made it originally.

3 Likes