Sysadmin Mega Thread

The Ubiquiti Edgerouters are great routers, but only decent gateways. Wish I could configure all network devices with the vyatta cli.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the best way for a libvirt/qemu/kvm virtual machine to access an exposed port from docker on the host?

So I have a docker container with a port exposed:

ports:
    - '8080:8080'

I also have a virtual machine connected to an isolated virtual network,

I can ping 192.168.100.1 (ip of the host in the virtual network), and I can get to nginx on the host. But 192.168.100.1:8080 of the docker container does not load.

Edit:

Well, changing to the default network works, maybe “internal and host routing only” does not include docker containers. It is REALLY slow though, about 10 megabit. I can get over a gigabit from the container on a different machine, so it is definitly a software issue.

I am using a virtio device on the VM end, so I don’t think it is that.

libvirt is not aware of docker, so it won’t count the docker veth devices.

Check your link speeds on all devices. Sometimes they need to be manually forced because dumb.

2 Likes

Showing 10 gigabit on the VM end, not sure how/if bridges have a connection speed, and if they how to check that.

ehh bridges technically have a connection speed, but they’re happy to pass packets as fast as the computer is capable of doing.

But only having a connection speed in that they will negotiate with the vnic.

1 Like

Well, the connection speed thing seems to have fixed itself, getting over 100 megabit now, which is around what I’d expect given the application.

Networking is probably my least favorite part of sysadmin type stuff.

1 Like

Don’t you love it when that stuff happens?

Stay well away from anyone who enjoys it.

1 Like

Shut up you need me

4 Likes

psh, you have ssh and telnet. we can keep you caged for public safety.

2 Likes

Has anyone set up nextcloud with the ldap/ad backend before?

I remember trying it before and not running into any issues, so I suspect something is up with the FreeNAS plugin…

id be willing to try with freeipa… but i dont have freenas

1 Like

I might try nextcloud in a vm to see if that magically works.

1 Like

Literally no one uses this (maybe like 15 years ago)

there are sadly lots of places that use it internally…
:frowning:

(X)Doubt unless they dont have network people

I literally know a vendor that uses it b/c they do crazy shit with the filesystem and put stuff in weird places, which can break ssh ( on migration/software installs/etc) , and their fallback is to have telnet to get back in

That sounds like server people doing stupid things not network

i am one of the server people and i want them to stop doing it.

2 Likes

Tell the network people to block the traffic :slight_smile: