Sysadmin Mega Thread

Older Ubiquiti Edgeswitch firmwares had it on by default and you’ll still get one with that firmware on it from time to time. I have an expect script that telnets in, generates ssh keys, enables ssh and disables telnet.

More commenting that its not used by anyone who does networking for a living not that it doesnt work / exist still on network gear.

They took it out of macOS base install a while back.

Only one thing left worth doing in telnet…

telnet mapscii.me

Unrelated, stupid Ubuntu changed the name of the network interface on first boot after install so it had no network connection and the cloud-init failed.

2 Likes

Their repeated BS with networking is highly infuriating

1 Like

more like failplan amirite

ldap/ad backend on Nextcloud snap on ubuntu works as expected ootb, so looks like the freenas plugin is to blame… oh well.

1 Like

but to get back to telnet there are some rudimentary commands one can do with telnet to check if mail is getting sent on a mail host.

Instead we’ve switched to nc.

1 Like

Yeah, you can do various network diagnostic stuff with it, but at this point there are better tools for that (like nc).

teach me some netcat…?

I honestly haven’t had to use it recently, but I remember I used to use telnet to test open ports which you do with netcat like this:

2 Likes

sudo vuln, heads up…

3 Likes

Anyone experienced with bind config? Kinda stumped…

Nice to see a lack of scary stuff in the newest openzfs point release. Impressive that they got it this far so quickly.

1 Like

Just heard about it. Updated my Linode server and rebooted just in case someone was already in there.

1 Like

Stupid question: there’s no way to get an intermediate CA from let’s encrypt right? Just host certificates?

Eh nvm, I didn’t realize intermediate CAs couldn’t be constrained to a specific domain.

1 Like

Finally got my old 24U rack back from my parents.

3 Likes

What’s that Debian thing?

1 Like

that is a debian sticker I slapped on my 3d printer

2 Likes

Does anyone else have colo space? A couple times year, I get a call/email from a different DC rep saying they’re my sales rep and do an intro and each time, they don’t have my correct contact info or company name or anything…

Got one today who says he can renew my contract at a lower rate, so we’ll see how that goes…

I’d be suspicious, but they haven’t asked for any sensitive info…

1 Like

colo space?

datacenter colocation

Just means I’m renting rack space.

1 Like