Sysadmin Mega Thread

EdgeMax was definitely languishing, but I knew they’d still need something for WISP deployments. Now that they basically have Unifi for WISP, it’s clear where they’re going with it. I’ll have to buy a Mikrotik test unit to see if that’s the way I want to go from here (most likely is).

Any recommendations for alternatives? I like their fancy UI but their products are definitely buggy.

I have a new site I am setting up and wouldn’t mind diversifying my hardware vendors a bit.

If the UI is what you like, then you’d probably be fine sticking with Ubiquiti, otherwise Mikrotik like I mentioned is the closest equivalent afaik.

Just keep us updated on other alternatives. We may all have to swap in next few years.

1 Like

This project has the potential for a 10gigabit uplink, so I have been trying to gauge how a few brands are doing. I don’t want to end up with a thousand dollar paper weight.

On the other hand, I can likely get an old used 1U server and toss a SFP+ NIC in it for cheaper, but then I am on the hook if anything goes wrong.

1 Like

Definitely don’t need to spend $1k for a 10Gb uplink, but I see what you mean. I’d avoid EdgeMax, but if you’re fine with Unifi, it’s not going anywhere any time soon.

@Novasty @TalkToFrank @oO.o You guys have any good resources on wireguard? I would be very thankful for any links that explain things well. First I though about hosting services like Nextcloud online, but to be honest I would rather not be bothered with needing to always keep an eye on securing every single service that much and more tunnel into my private network and mostly care about the security of my wireguard server.

1 Like

What os, I can more or less explain what I understand.

https://www.wireguard.com/quickstart/

1 Like

Anybody got use for 4 or 5 10gb Mellanox ConnectX-2 SFP cards with copper transceivers and some fiber ones too? DAC Cables and fiber cables?

The config is pretty simple. The documentation on their site that @novasty linked plus any documentation specific to the platforms you’re using should get you there without much headache.

Simplicity comes with some limitations. Any sort of broadcast traffic won’t work, but that’s typical for vpn. DHCP doesn’t work. Routes, DNS server and search domain need to be configured client-side… That’s about it off the top of my head.

I’ll trade you 10 Xeon E5520s for them.

2 Likes

figured i would ask lol

1 Like

:frowning:

1 Like

Doesn’t Oracle have it’s own directory/dc thing or is it just repackaged freeipa like rhel’s idm?

Took a bit of effort, but I got my wireguard to let me ping site-to-site with my pi acting as the gateway to my linode. Now I can access my linodes via their private IPs instead of their public IPs (I don’t think it stops bandwidth tracking as it is still tunneled out via the WAN).

1 Like

I am looking for an opinion. I am setting up a new deployment. Ill have a /28 routed to this site, and I will definitely need to assign some of those IPs to a stack of servers. I want to avoid 1:1 NAT solutions if possible, so passthrough it is.

I think I have narrowed down my options to the MicroTik RB4011iGS+RM or the Ubiquity EdgeRouter 12.

Ubiquity Pro: Pretty interface, makes idiots like me happy.
Ubiquity Con: Unexpected EOL of products.

MikroTik Pro: SFP+ port
MikroTik Con: I don’t like change

I'm old and cranky

Something else? What would y’all choose and why?

I would order the Mikrotik from somewhere with a return policy and test drive it.

According to Tom at Lawrence Systems the stuff Ubiquiti has for routing isn’t that great, so I’d call that another mark in favor of the Mikrotik.

2 Likes

I really just use the WAP’s and the small Gateway for some of my deployments.

Never really touched anything bigger.

Yeah, their router/gateway units definitely leave something to be desired.

Their enterprise grade switches are quite nice, but I only have Cisco to compare to, so…