One Key to Rule It All [YubiKey+GPG-SSH+FIDO2+MFA-ZeroTrust]

table of contents

YubiKey Do What Skeleton Key Do

So we all know about the YubiKey. We are going to be using the 5 series in this guide and we are going to load all of our keys we need on a day to day deed onto the key via GPG! We are also going to pin and access code protect everything on the key preventing tampering!

Without judging my messy desk I will be programming all 3 of my keys. A current, hot spare, cold spare to be moved to a off site undisclosed everything proof location

So lets get to it.

DE: XFCE

Notice: Work in Progress

YubiKey 5 Initial Setup

Open the YubiKey Manager on your chosen Linux Distro

For me I installed everything I needed from the CLI in arch as follows:

sudo pacman -S gnupg pinentry libusb-compat pcsclite ccid yubikey-manager-qt yubikey-manager yubikey-personalization yubikey-personalization-gui yubico-pam pam-u2f libfido2

Setup each of the applications you need. I dont do FIPS or PIV so I will be excluding that

FIDO2/U2F

Set the FIDO2 pin

Do not forget this. Do not type it in too many times incorrect or you permanently lock out yourself from these mechanisms and have to erase the yubikey applet.

OTP and encrypting slots

Configure slot 1 completely and make sure it is registered with yubico OTP server.

Now we are going to clock that slot with a different piece of software so it cannot be tampered with.

Select from the drop down. YubuKeys unprotected enable protection.

Create an access code and REMEMBER IT. if you lose it. This part of the yubikey functionality is FOREVER broken by design.

There now we have locked both parts of the key that we will use for u2f. Which is important if you are going to store keys away from your residence or tenure-ship

GPG ED25519-Curve25519 ED-DSA setup

Ed25519 was introduced to OpenSSH already, so, we can use ssh-agent feature of gpg-agent using authentication subkey of OpenPGP. Since GnuPG 2.1.8 of March 2016, encryption by Curve25519 is supported. ECC is generic term and security of ECC depends on the curve used. Unfortunately, no one wants to use standardized curve of NIST but thats okay. We can still take advantage of state of the art cryptography.

Define your LD Library path
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

Nuke gpg agent
gpg-connect-agent KILLAGENT /bye

Using the newer gpg package and standard create a key using expert options
gpg2 --expert --full-gen-key

The output will look like

Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) RSA and RSA (default)
   (2) DSA and Elgamal
   (3) DSA (sign only)
   (4) RSA (sign only)
   (7) DSA (set your own capabilities)
   (8) RSA (set your own capabilities)
   (9) ECC and ECC
  (10) ECC (sign only)
  (11) ECC (set your own capabilities)
Your selection? 

Select Option 9. We will use both ED25519 and Curve25519

Seeing as we have many curves to our disposal you have choice as well. I suggest 25519.

Please select which elliptic curve you want:
   (1) Curve 25519
   (2) NIST P-256
   (3) NIST P-384
   (4) NIST P-521
   (5) Brainpool P-256
   (6) Brainpool P-384
   (7) Brainpool P-512
   (8) secp256k1
Your selection? 

Option 1 is what I selected. Depending on your version you may get this warning to which you select yes

GPG: WARNING: Curve25519/ED25519 is not yet part of the OpenPGP standard.
Use this curve anyway? (y/N) y

Make a non expiring key.

Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0)
Key does not expire at all
Is this correct? (y/N) y

We are going to construct a gpg user card for this key. We will also add as many as we like later. it is not difficult

GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.

Email address: <email>
Comment: <any commentary about the key>
You selected this USER-ID:
    "(Given Name) (Sur Name)  <email>"

On confirmation:

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? 

Select O

You will get some sort of confirmation message where it outputs

gpg: key <HEX> marked as ultimately trusted
public and secret key created and signed.

Echo out the keyid You will need it later

echo "<redacted>" >> keyid

We are going to now edit this key to give us both encryption and authentication capabilities.

gpg2 --expert --edit-key <HEX>

Invoke the addkey function

gpg> addkey

It will proceed to ask for the type of key we want. In this case we want to define our own capabilities

Please select what kind of key you want:
   (3) DSA (sign only)
   (4) RSA (sign only)
   (5) Elgamal (encrypt only)
   (6) RSA (encrypt only)
   (7) DSA (set your own capabilities)
   (8) RSA (set your own capabilities)
  (10) ECC (sign only)
  (11) ECC (set your own capabilities)
  (12) ECC (encrypt only)
  (13) Existing key
Your selection? 

So select option 11 since we are creating ED-DSA keys and then, we specify “Authenticate” capability. Select S then A then quit

Possible actions for a EDDSA key: Sign Authenticate
Current allowed actions: Sign

(S) Toggle the sign capability
   (A) Toggle the authenticate capability
   (Q) Finished

Your selection? S

Current allowed actions: Sign Authenticate

(Q) Finished

Your selection? A

Current allowed actions: Authenticate

(Q) Finished

Your selection? Q

It follows up with where it asks which curve. We input 1 for “Curve25519”.

Please select which elliptic curve you want:
   (1) Curve 25519
   (2) NIST P-256
   (3) NIST P-384
   (4) NIST P-521
   (5) Brainpool P-256
   (6) Brainpool P-384
   (7) Brainpool P-512
   (8) secp256k1
Your selection? 1

It asks confirmation. We say y.

gpg: WARNING: Curve25519 is not yet part of the OpenPGP standard.
Use this curve anyway? (y/N) y

It asks expiration of the key just like last time

Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0)
Key does not expire at all
Is this correct? (y/N) y
Really create? (y/N) y

Done you should find yourself with 3 keys in the gpg key package.

sec  ed25519/<redacted>
     created: 2021-06-30  expires: never       usage: SC  
     trust: unknown       validity: unknown
ssb  cv25519/<redacted>
     created: 2021-06-30  expires: never       usage: E   
ssb  ed25519/<redacted>
     created: 2021-06-30  expires: never       usage: A 

Invoke the save command

UNLESS you need to add more emails and stuff. I added all my emails to my card. You can even add a photo for identification if you would like.

The process is simple and kind of verbose. Here you see the process

$ gpg2 --edit-key <key-id>
  gpg> adduid
  Email address: <email>
  Comment: <comment or Return to none>
  Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? O
  Enter passphrase: <password>
  gpg> uid <uid>
  gpg> trust
  Your decision? 5
  Do you really want to set this key to ultimate trust? (y/N) y
  gpg> save

You have the following options you may also change

> passwd       # change the passphrase
> clean        # compact any user ID that is no longer usable (e.g revoked or expired)
> revkey       # revoke a key
> addkey       # add a subkey to this key
> expire       # change the key expiration time
> adduid       # add additional names, comments, and email addresses
> addphoto     # add photo to key (must be JPG, 240x288 recommended, enter full path to image when prompted)

If you absolutely need RSA keys you can add them as a secondary auth and secondary sign and secondary encrypt subkey. Ive not done this. I discard legacy quickly. If that is something you need to do consider doing so in the same way we added subkeys earlier.

Upload your keys to a keyserver of your choice once you are complete adding what you need.

I prefer keys.openpgp.org as it requires verification of your identity. This fixes my gripe I have with SKHS

After your done make sure you export the keys this way we will need it later.

gpg --armor --export-secret-keys $(cat keyid) > mastersub.key
gpg --armor --export-secret-subkeys $(cat keyid) > sub.key
gpg --armor --export $(cat keyid) > public.key

Then tarball or zip the following up

keyid        
mastersub.key 
public.key    
sub.key

This zip file (gpg.zip) should be backed up offline to a usb drive, or other secure location. It is also very important, because each time we move our gpg key over to a yubikey, the gpg tool destroys the key. So we have to copy over a duplicate each time.

GPG Key to Card

Alright now we need to add the key to the OpenPGP applet on the Yubi-Key. This part is quite verbose. It was frustrating for me to figure out how to do so at first.

You will repeat this ENTIRE section per key you wish to use. So they maybe exact clones.

With the yubikey plugged in

gpg --card-edit

invoke admin

admin

On this prompt, you will want to change the pin. When the prompt comes up, type 123456 for the current pin, this is the default for yubikeys. This will be your unlock code for SSH and GPG general usage. Invoke option 3 when done

Now invoke passwd

passwd

This time we need to change the admin pin. The initial pin is 12345678 . Change the pin. Make it longer and different from the admin pin. Remember both of these. This is the most secure way.

Now lets change the embedded card attributes. Execute each of these and fill out the forms

name
lang
login
url (insert the URL of your key on a keyserver)
sex (gender)
login (username)

Now use ykman to set the openpgp touch requirements. Im an all on guy. I want to have control over when these things are done and so they cant be done with me away from my desk and someone else pushes it.

ykman openpgp keys set-touch aut on
ykman openpgp keys set-touch sig on
ykman openpgp keys set-touch enc on

This is just telling your yubikey that any authentication, signature, or encryption key usage, requires a physical touch of the device before it will do the operation. This can be useful for ultra security conscious individuals. A program wouldn’t be able to sign or encrypt anything with your key in the background, because it would require a touch before any action.

You need to execute the following commands outside of the gpg directory that we created in the key creation step. Your current directory should have a zip file in it that we created. Start by unarchiving the gpg.zip that we created earlier. Each time you do this section (for every key) you need to delete the gpg folder, and unarchive gpg.zip again. We can’t reuse the gpg folder each time, because the gpg smart card commands delete the secret key, so you MUST have a fresh copy of the gpg files each time.

mkdir opgpyk-exp
tar -xvzf opgpyk-exp.tar.gz -C opgpyk-exp/
export GNUPGHOME=$(mktemp -d)
cp -r opgpyk-exp $GNUPGHOME
cd $GNUPGHOME/opgpyk-exp

gpg --import mastersub.key
gpg --edit-key $(cat keyid)

That should do it. Now the keys are going to be displayed. You will have SC, E and A. We will put SC without selecting any of the subkeys to the signature spot by invoking the key to card functionality.

keytocard (signature)

Next we will do auth and encryption much the same way BUT we must be very verbose. key 1 selects. invoke function then key 1 to deselect again. If you do not deselect it will copy both. Do not do this.

key 1
keytocard (choose encryption, 1)
key 1

key 2
keytocard (auth)
key 2

save

Done and if you get the error “operation not supported by device” after you do the initial yubikey setup and run the keytocard command. Just unplug your yubikey, then plug it back in, type keytocard again

I realize this dox’s me. Just so yall know I own a 10mm and a mossberg. Dont try anything but your welcome to ASK to have drinks with me. I prefer whiskey btw :wink:

Voila, Rinse and repeat per key.

GPG for SSH

When you are using secure shell a subroutine called ssh-agent is used to manage the keys. To use a GPG key, you’ll use a similar subroutine called gpg-agent , that manages GPG keys. To get gpg-agent to handle requests to and from SSH, you need to enable support by adding the line enable-ssh-support to the ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf . You could do this globally in ETC too. Use your favorite editor to do this

Now typically it gets annoying that you are ssh-adding a lot… we can use the GPG keygrip function to make sure we choose the right key everytime.

To do this, specify the keys in the ~/.gnupg/sshcontrol file. The entries in this file are keygrips —internal identifiers gpg-agent uses to refer to keys. Unlike a key hash, a keygrip refers to both the public and private key. To find the keygrip, use gpg2 -K --with-keygrip , as shown below. Then add that line to the sshcontrol file.

REMEMBER if you have exported you key to the hardware key your keys are no longer stored in gpg. You don’t need to reimport if you do not want to you can instead fetch based on the yubikeys stored information if you set it up correctly

gpg2 --card-edit
gpg/card> fetch
ssb>  ed25519 2021-06-30 [A]
      Keygrip = <a-redacted-string>

Echo it in

echo <a-redacted-string> >> ~/.gnupg/sshcontrol

Now you tell the SSH auth socket to connect to gpg agent in your shel config. Ive achieved this in my Z shell config

$ cat ~/.zshrc
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$(gpgconf --list-dirs agent-ssh-socket)
gpgconf --launch gpg-agent

In order to use SSH, you need to share your public key with the remote host. You have two options. First, you can run ssh-add -L to list your public keys and copy it manually to the remote host OR you may also use ssh-copy-id rom this perspective, nothing has changed.

Done now you only need the GPG key

GPG for GIT

This process should be done on each computer that you want to do commit signing on via GIT or however you have your SVN or GIT commit signing functioning

git config --global user.signingkey $(cat keyid)
git config --global commit.gpgsign true
gpg --import public.key

Do not forget you must import the public key from your gpg master key, otherwise git won’t recognize your yubikey. You have been warned. You could spend hours figuring that out xD.
Be sure to add the contents of our public.key file to GitHub or other service, so that your commits will show as verified otherwise they will show up as unverified or insecure.

PAM-U2F-FIDO2 for Linux Login

The last part. Configure the PAM module on linux to handle U2F FIDO2 for login

mkdir ~/.config/Yubico
pamu2fcfg -o pam://hostname -i pam://hostname > ~/.config/Yubico/u2f_keys

Click the button of your U2F key to confirm the key and If you own multiple keys, append them with:

pamu2fcfg -o pam://hostname -i pam://hostname -n >> ~/.config/Yubico/u2f_keys

You can also do passwordless sudo and configure it per display manager. PLEASE see your documentation per distro and Desktop environment on how to do that. I really cant cover them all. Dont forget to sudo -s in case you screw up and need to revert changes.

Additional Notes

You can use this key in many places as a smart card and also on windows. (I have reserved this section for if I do this. I dont use windows rn)

Good luck :wink:

Leave a like… Sent the metrics to the moon

Links to Infrastructure Series and Other Resources

Blog: Phaselockedloopable- PLL’s continued exploration of networking, self-hosting and decoupling from big tech

Phaselockedloopable- PLL’s continued exploration of networking, self-hosting and decoupling from big tech

Series 1: Native Dual Stack IP4+IP6

Infrastructure Series – Native Dual Stack IP4+IP6

Series 2: Wireguard Site to Site Tunnel

Infrastructure Series – Wireguard Site to Site Tunnel

Series 3: Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX

Infrastructure Series – Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX

Series 4: NGINX Reverse Proxy and Hardening SSL

Infrastructure Series – NGINX Reverse Proxy and Hardening SSL

Series 5: Taking DNS One Step Further - Full DNS Server infrastructure

Infrastructure Series – Taking DNS One Step Further - Full DNS Server infrastructure

Series 6: HTTP(S) Security Headers! You should use them!

Infrastructure Series – HTTP(S) Security Headers! You should use them! [NGINX]

Series 7: Use NGINX to inject CSS themes

Infrastructure Series – Use NGINX to inject CSS themes

ONE KEY TO RULE THEM ALL

Setting up a YubiKey Properly – One Key to rule them ALL!

Series 9: Infrastructure Series: BIND9 Authoritative DNS Guide “Please See Me Edition”

Infrastructure Series: BIND9 Authoritative DNS Guide “Please See Me Edition”

Buy me a crypto-beer

If you found this guide helpful you can donate Monero or Bitcoin to me at the following address in my User Card Profile

29 Likes

Reserved

This is the kick in the pants I needed. I am ordering 3 Yubikeys tonight.

3 Likes

just so you know they are google Advanced Protection Program certified. So you can uber lockdown google accounts

1 Like

Nice. I am moving to Denver next month and part of setting up my home lab there will be focusing on your teachings lol. Get off cloud services as much as possible and lock down the ones that I am still tied to + being more serious about my security.

Yubi key is something I have wanted to implement for a long time I just haven’t made it a priority because I knew it would be a PITA to get everything working how I wanted it.

2 Likes

Thats awesome. I love to hear it. @wendell likes to say a lot on the videos he publishes that people should do this. I thought what stops them. Probably the lack of knowledge like this in one place. It can be daunting to tie all the research together. Thats what I try to do with these.

Hope it goes well for you. I really want to see MFA+ZeroTrust proliferate. It would be good for security overall and U2F FIDO2 on stuff

3 Likes

I appreciate your contributions to the forum and hope you continue to contribute in the future. I am catching up to many of you who have been in the game longer but I hope that soon I will have something of substance to write up here for people to benefit from.

1 Like

haha appreciate the compliment. Im not in the game nor am I even close to the IT or security sector.

I am an RF engineer for the DOD. This is just my hobby. I care about security in all aspects of my life. Turns out if your security is air tight you can divulge your name and things that most people fear to say. I divulged it in this guide because everything I have is locked down by these

My disks for my server are encrypted via the keys on it etc.

Almost all attack surfaces have been mitigated against including physical and MFA+ZeroTrust

Even my emails are compartmentalized. You can try and attack my google by all my important financial stuff is on a secure paid email service I never disclose. Its this separation that really makes one hard to attack

Even in my daily life my credit is froze and locked. Nobody can even run a check without my permission

3 Likes

I think that people like you who make it their “hobby” do just as much to help everyone as “security professionals”. The passion and drive is there to the point that you pursue it in your own time. The benefits are felt by everyone here.

On a different note, I have been keeping a keen eye on @wendell home automation and security projects. Do you think that there is a good way to incorporate yubikey’s into home automation and security for say, disarming/arming your security system or maybe access control to certain rooms?

Maybe that will be a project I will have to pursue when my living accommodations are a little more permanent.

thats a him question but Id be VERY interested lol

They are NFC capable so I would think you could just wall mount a NFC reader that is tied into your security system or maybe re-program a commercial NFC lock to respond to the yubikey.

Regardless, outside the scope of this thread. Don’t mean to hijack it.

1 Like

Its still interesting dont apologize for hijacking it. I love the idea lol

1 Like

Actually, since I have you here and you are a RF engineer. What is your opinion on using NFC stuff? would you implement something like that or would you consider that an unacceptable attack surface for someone to intercept your NFC transaction?

NFC is fine as long as the transcation done with it is exactly the same as its done with USB. In reference to the yubikey it is. It requires you to touch the golden surface. SO even if someone swiped by they wouldnt get anything unless they had international spy level sleight of hand. In which case youve likely pissed off the powers that be. God speed lol

Fair enough lol

You have so many keys :smiley:

i was considering updating to a yubikey 5c nfc. the 5 brings fido2 support mainly i think? plus USB type-c which i don’t have on my 4.

curious how you manage offsite storage. I’m thinking the simplest option for myself is likely a small safe in a family members house (though that doesn’t address the access on death issue, may make it worse to handle)

In truth its for redundancy and back up. Minimum 3 keys is my rule

Main
Hot Spare
Cold Spare at undisclosed protected location.
I actually have a 4th with an extremely close very trusted friend… and I was like guard this thing lol.

At the end of the day should shit hit the fan with these you still want to make sure you can access your protected stuff. Particularly any PGP encrypted stuff.

Its so nice. Type C USB3 as well. Its the latest standard. Its not the funky USB 2.0 type C. So it will work in anything that has a type C port.

and PIV. Just not FIPS 203 PIV but its PIV none the less

So here is what I do. It is with family but since they have multiple properties I wont disclose which one. They have a fireproof waterproof safe. It contains all the sensitive stuff. That key in particular is protected in that using it requires a pin. I basically left a riddle written on it in terms of the access on death. The riddle is pretty simple. Knowing me well makes it easier to figure it out. “If you want sex, reverse the hex”

In any case. That solves any issue in terms of access. I guess if you were really worried it could be written into your last will and testament granting them access and giving them the pins

One thing I periodically will do is pull them out every 6 months to a year. Plug them into a port. verify functionality… keep them plugged in for like 10-30 minutes and store it again. It is flash storage

2 Likes

I appreciate all the love on this post guys but its not exactly to where I see wanting the information. I want to make it easier not just all in one place

I’ve thought about making it a script as well

I know we are tech oriented but think “let’s make a average person do this” level of explanation.

I realize I cant easily do that alone so I reach out to the community on what parts we all find difficult. (suggestions always welcome)

I’m with you on that. I think there’s a bit of a barrier to entry for things like yubikeys and the related technologies. There’s some abstractions but I think they’re still geared towards generalised usage for tech people

2 Likes

They are but I think its up to the open source community to make integration easier… Thats why im starting to think maybe making interactive scripts to go along with the two GUI programs (one is simple the other is verbose)… is something that might need to happen.

1 Like