Infrastructure Series -- Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX

Table of Contents

(All IPs in here are no invalid as the records have changed)

Introduction

Ever wanted your pi-hole to block ads everywhere in a secure manner? Do not want to use other recursive resolvers such cloudflare, quad 9, google DNS, and openNIC? Well you can make your server a recursive server and skip the middle man entirely going right to the root DNS servers of the web. Lets do it!

Obligatory shill of blog stream post: Phaselockedloopable- PLL’s continued exploration of networking, self-hosting and decoupling from big tech

As always check for updates in the second post :wink:

Prequisites:

• You must have HTTPS/TLS working with certificates on your NGINX
  • Working knowledge of NGINX
  • Domain bought through namecheap or elsewhere
  • Ability to set DynDNS records (in some manner I wont dictate how you do)
  • Means or system to run pi-hole and unbound on (preferably independent and not docker)

So let us start by an overview of DNS. Its critical to understanding what is happening in this wiki.

What is DNS?

DNS or Domain Name Server is quite literally the phonebook of the internet. Well actually its more like the whitebooks/yellowpages. You could navigate the internet with IPs but it would be difficult. So you want to lookup the IP of the name of the URL you put in the browser. That is the function of the Domain Name Server. For example, the domain name < URL from my nextcloud >, translates to the IP address 192.53.120.164 (in the old IPv4 format) or 2600:3c04::f03c:92ff:fec6:2030 (in the newer IPv6 format). Those are called A and AAAA records respectively. These are sourced at the highest level by recursive DNS servers such as cloudflare etc via a root server which is defined in my SOA or State of Authority DNS Record as follows:
SOA a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2021022100 1800 900 604800 86400

DNS is very essential to the internet as you know it. It is an unsung hero and any change to it must be very slow. We all probably have heard about the arguments against DNS over HTTPS and DNSCrypt vs DNS over TLS being good. (Famous Extremely relevant talk about DoH+DNSCrypt vs DoT)

One of the functions that DNS handles well is when an IP record changes. You can still navigate to the page so long as the record is updated. Unlike a phone book and much like the yellow pages :wink: , DNS records are commonly updated, meaning that a server’s IP address can change without affecting users of the website. Users continue to use the same domain name, and are automatically redirected to the new address. A DNS A or AAAA Record points a domain or subdomain to an IP, and a CNAME record points a domain or subdomain to another domain name (redirect CNAME). More on this later. Registration is a very important aspect of DNS and needs to be continuosly insured that the registrations are up to date. However this can take time to propagate.

After you register a new domain name or when you update DNS servers on your domain name, it usually takes about 12-36 hours for the domain name servers world-wide to be updated and able to access the information. This time can be greatly shorter in the immediate continent or sector of the internet you are in. This is what propagation time is.

Now there is a function in every OS and every network has one of some type. This is called a resolver. 99.99% of the time when you connect to a local network or to an ISP, the primary routing devices sends the network configuration information to your device, including one or more DNS servers as a function of DHCP. These are the initial DNS servers your device will use to translate host names to IP addresses. These can of course be changed and we will do that in this guide but first we need to understand the component responsible for your lookups. This is called a DNS Resolver and it is responsible for checking if the host name is available in local cache, and if not, contacts a series of DNS Name Servers, until eventually it receives the IP of the website or service you are trying to reach. There are 2 types of resolvers (technically a third but you cant host it).

Different Types of DNS Servers

Local DNS Server (Forward or Recursive)

So the first resolver you will hit is likely your local router or your local DNS server you have setup. It can be setup in a forwarder or resursive mode. I will be setting my network up cutting out the middle man which forwarders go to you. See below. In forward mode (most peoples setups) It simply forwards the non cached lookups to a set recurssive DNS server of its choice. All the information transmitted is then handled by the recurssive server that handles the bulk of the lookup.

Recursive DNS Server (Cloudflare, Quad 9, Google DNS, OpenNIC etc)

Recursive DNS is the middle-man between the consumer and the Authoritative DNS servers that are hosting a networks domains and the IP addresses that are associated with a domain name. This type of server you are familiar with. You have seen Cloudflare, Quad 9, Google DNS, OpenNIC etc, they are all recursive DNS Servers that your local DNS forwards to when in forward mode. We will be going through the process of setting up a recursive server in this guide.

DNS Root Server

The root server is the first step in translating friendly URLs into IP addresses. The Top Level Domain or TLD takes the TLD provided in the user’s query - for example my nextcloud, https://URL OF MY NC - and provides details for the .net TLD Name Server. The recursive server has knowledge of these. They are call root hints or root servers in a recursive resolvers configuration and it is this server that the recursive server calls to first.

There are not many root webservers and you cannot host one yourself. There are 13 root servers across the world, indicated by the letters A through M , operated by organizations such as Verisign, Cogent, ICANN, NIC DDN.mil, NASA.gov, and the U.S. Army Research Lab.

Top Level Domain Server

The TLD Name Server takes the domain name provided in the query, for example my nextcloud URL, and provides the IP of an Authoritative Name Server for the record. This is why the SOA record is important so we know which server is the authority on this IP and URL combination. This is a DNS server that contains DNS records for the specific domain itself. There are 1500+ valid TLDs in the current internet setup. Please see wikipedia for more information: List of Internet top-level domains - Wikipedia

Authoritative Name Server

Finally we reach the Authoritative Domain Name Server which is the last stop in our query before the infromation is returned to the recursive server or resolver. The Authoritative Name Server takes the domain name and subdomain, and if it has access to the DNS records or they are updated properly, it returns the correct IP address to the DNS Resolver or forwarder. Sometimes there can be different Authoritative servers for TLDs than there are for Subdomains. This is not always the case but you can find it in the enterprise in certain places. Its a good way to load balance record lookups. Authoritative Name Servers are organized using what are called DNS Zones. Each DNS zone has a closed set of Authoritative Name Servers. They are called “authoritative” because they can provide an authoritative, correct response as to what is the current IP for a specific domain. It is in essence the authority on where your server is located.

At this level most query’s are handled. You have 3 different types of queries. Recursive query, that a DNS client requires that a DNS server (typically a DNS recursive resolver) respond to the client with either the requested resource record or an error message if it can’t find the record. There is an iterative query in which the resolver seeks out each authoritative server until it finds a match or times out. Then you have a non-recursive query and this can occur in two situations, either the query is cached or that the recursive server is the authority for the record. Just knowledge you might want to have.

Different types of DNS records:

There are a lot of different types of records. I will cover the common records you will see:

• Address Mapping records (A) - records that hold a hostname and its corresponding IPv4 address.
  • IP Version 6 Address records (AAAA) - records that hold a hostname and its corresponding IPv6 address.
  • Service Location (SRV) - service location record, like MX but for other, newer protocols.
  • Canonical Name records (CNAME) - used to create aliases of domain names. Can be used to alias a domain to another domain.
  • Name Server records (NS) - delegates a DNS Zone to use a specific Authoritative Name Server.
  • Reverse-lookup Pointer records (PTR) - used to look up domain names based on an IP address.
  • Mail exchanger record (MX) - specifies a mail exchange server for the domain name, used in the SMTP protocol to route emails to the correct email server.
  • Certificate record (CERT) - stores encryption certificates such as PKIX, SPKI, PGP, etc.
  • State of Authority (SOA) - An SOA record is a Start of Authority. Every domain must have a Start of Authority record at the cutover point where the domain is delegated from its parent domain. The SOA record includes the following details: The primary name server for the domain, which is a.root-servers.net or the first name server in the vanity name server list in my case nstld.verisign-grs.com, The responsible party for the domain: cloud.< MY-TLD >.net, A timestamp that changes whenever you update your domain, The number of seconds before the zone should be refreshed, The number of seconds before a failed refresh should be retried, The upper limit in seconds before a zone is considered no longer authoritative and finally the negative result TTL (for example, how long a resolver should consider a negative result for a subdomain to be valid before retrying).

Setting up Unbound Recursive DNS Resolver+cache:

Let’s set this up and test it. Install unbound with all the recommended packages of your distribution. If you run arch linux or manjaro like I do on my server they have great docs: Unbound - ArchWiki . I will not help setup per distribution and that is why I left this installation step out.

The first thing we want to do after the package installation is to pull the active list of root servers. We also want this to update monthly so we never have an issue if the root servers should change (rare).

Root Hints Acquisition

Execute the following command:

sudo curl --output /etc/unbound/root.hints https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache

Once complete we want to create systemD timers to update this monthly, to setup the systemD automation we need a timer and a service. Lets create those files

Setup the timer: using your favorite editor create /etc/systemd/system/roothints.timer
It should contain the following:

[Unit]
Description=Run root.hints monthly

[Timer]
OnCalendar=monthly
Persistent=true

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

Setup the service: Using your favorite editor create /etc/systemd/system/roothints.service
It should contain the following:

[Unit]
Description=Update root hints for unbound
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/curl -o /etc/unbound/root.hints https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache

After saving both files start and enable the systemD service you just created.

Unbound.conf Configuration

Now we need to configure the unbound configuration to be a recurssive server.

I typically do so via ssh due to my server not being local to my current system. That is my configuration. I will post it below:

Original (see update)

## Unbound Configuration for Recursive Resolve
# Uncomment forward zone in case of root failure
# Author: PhaseLockedLoop

server:
    logfile: "/var/log/unbound/unbound.log" # Define log location
    verbosity: 0
    interface: 127.0.0.1
    interface: ::1 # Define if you want to answer IPv6 requests
    port: 31335 # Define port of your choice
    do-ip4: yes
    do-udp: yes
    do-tcp: yes
    do-ip6: yes # Enable but not prefer if 6 is a capability on the network (i.e 6in4)
    prefer-ip6: yes # Only enable if on NATIVE IPV6 Stack
    root-hints: root.hints # Top level root servers file
    harden-glue: yes
    harden-dnssec-stripped: yes
    trust-anchor-file: trusted-key.key # MUST HAVE FOR DNS SEC
    use-caps-for-id: no # Set no if you plan to use DNSSEC
    edns-buffer-size: 1472 # Set MTU of network
    prefetch: yes
    num-threads: 4 # Set to 1 if you do not have a powerful server
    so-rcvbuf: 1m
    tls-cert-bundle: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt # Only necessary for DoT Lookups
    private-address: 192.168.0.0/16
    private-address: 169.254.0.0/16
    private-address: 172.16.0.0/12
    private-address: 10.0.0.0/8
    private-address: fd00::/8
    private-address: fe80::/10
#    forward-zone:
#        name: "< MY-TLD > DoT"
#        forward-tls-upstream: yes
#	  forward-addr: 2600:3c04::f03c:92ff:fec6:2030@853#<TLD>
#	  forward-addr: 192.53.120.164@853#<TLD>

Resolv Conf

I have added comments for all to know what lines do which somewhat. YMMV. You will want to make sure your /etc/resolv.conf looks like this in order to use unbound as your local resolver (especially if its the same machine as the pihole)

nameserver ::1
nameserver 127.0.0.1
options trust-ad

Notes

Now that this is out of the way some notes:

IPv6 can be resolved as well but only enable it if you have a Native Stack. It can be buggy otherwise. Seeing as IPv6 is my primary stack its also preferred in my resolver. You will notice I even use IPv6 internally and on ssh :wink: . It is the future and I intend to embrace it fully. I never like being behind the times.

There is a forwarding section however that is for later when we want to setup DoT on linux systems and mac. Leave it commented out for recursive setups

Once complete, attempt to start unbound. It should work.

Testing the resolver

To test if DNSSEC is working, after starting unbound.service, do:

$ unbound-host -C /etc/unbound/unbound.conf -v sigok.verteiltesysteme.net

The response should be the ip address with the word (secure) next to it.

$ unbound-host -C /etc/unbound/unbound.conf -v sigfail.verteiltesysteme.net

Here the response should include (BOGUS (security failure)).

Additionally you can use drill to test the resolver as follows:

$ drill sigfail.verteiltesysteme.net
$ drill sigok.verteiltesysteme.net

The first command should give an rcode of SERVFAIL. The second should give an rcode of NOERROR.

Once this is verified functional and your system is resolving through the unbound congratulations you now have a recursive resolver! Now its time to use your already fully setup pi-hole :wink: to utilize it for which it forwards request to instead of someone else’s recursive resolver.

Setting up Pi-Hole:

This guide assumes you already had pi-hole setup as your principle DNS adblocker. Lets go ahead and configure the pi-hole to use our newly configured setup.

First navigate to its page:
We want to go to settings next

Sure you can use the URL but its protected by a github 2FA proxy :wink:

In settings: Go to the DNS Tab

We want to configure DNS as follows

Enable DNSSEC if those are the options you left enabled.

Save this to apply it. The pi-hole will now use your recursive DNS server and cut out the middle man internally. External DoT is the next step so we can do it everywhere.

I did the following. You do not need to:

If you dont want to use your own recursive DNS server but want to change the available DNS servers in the conf… see Infrastructure Series -- Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX - #24 by PhaseLockedLoop

Alright now lets setup a DoT NGINX Stream so we can pass DoT to the pi-hole.

NGINX DoT Configuration:

This guide will be performing a setup based on my network site to site configuration: Infrastructure Series -- Wireguard Site to Site Tunnel
Please adapt this guide to however you chose to setup your network, you know your network best, YMMV :wink:

So assuming you already have a website via a NGINX server and you have TLS working, the only thing you really need to do is add a stream configuration to TCP proxy DNS from the DoT 853 port to the 53 port of your pi-hole which is configured to use your recursive server. This is my configuration block. You may place the configuration block anywhere as long as its OUTSIDE the http block. This means it can go into stream.d folder or the main conf outside http.

stream {
    # DNS upstream pool
    upstream dns {
        zone dns 64k;
        server 10.31.82.3:53;
#	server_name dns.TLD;
    }

# DoT server for decryption
   server {
	listen 853 ssl;
    listen [::]:853 ssl;
#	server_name dns.TLD;
        ssl_certificate <certpath>/fullchain.pem;
        ssl_certificate_key <certpath>/privkey.pem;	
        proxy_pass dns;
    }
}

In essence what we are asking NGINX to do is respond on port 853 with our existing URL or TLD’s certificate. We are asking it to then upstream that via a TCP stream (NOT A WEBSOCKET) to the pi-hole server which internally has the following IP above. This will go through my wireguard tunnel and into my home network via routing you can see I setup in my site to site tunnel. Make sure your certificates are set to the fullchain (to avoid the cipher overlap error) and the key is set for wherever the private key is.

The next step is to open up port 853 in the firewall. This is a TCP port not a UDP so it is only necessary to open it up on both IPv6 and IPv4 for TCP 853. Your firewall setups can vary. Please execute this step appropriately for your network.

All you need to do now is restart the NGINX server and if you configured this block properly, you will have a DoT server in which you can externally and globally block all of your ads and have full control of your DNS anywhere and everywhere :wink:

Now lets setup the clients. A good first test client is android BTW. DoT is the method in which android private DNS works on and it will basically tell you if it is working.

Setting up DoT Clients:

Windows

The best resolver by far is stubby. You can acquire it here: http://dnsprivacy.org/dns_privacy_daemon_-_stubby/installation/windows_installer_for_stubby/

Install it and we will configure it via CMD PROMPT

Open an Admin CMD Prompt and cd to the stubby director

cd "\Program Files\Stubby"

Open the configuration YAML in notepad

notepad stubby.yml

The settings will look as follows for me: (set it up for your config YMMV)

resolution_type: GETDNS_RESOLUTION_STUB
dns_transport_list:
GETDNS_TRANSPORT_TLS
tls_authentication: GETDNS_AUTHENTICATION_NONE
tls_query_padding_blocksize: 128
edns_client_subnet_private: 1
idle_timeout: 10000
listen_addresses:
- 0::1
round_robin_upstreams: 2
upstream_recursive_servers:
- address_data: 192.53.120.164
  tls_auth_name: “< MY-TLD >.net"
- address_data: 2600:3c04::f03c:92ff:fec6:2030
  tls_auth_name: “< MY-TLD >.net"

Save that and run the following command to replace the default DNS server to a local Stubby:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy bypass -file “C:\Program Files\Stubby\stubby_setdns_windows.ps1”

Run a stubby.bat file (inside the stubby folder)

stubby.bat

Done and Done this should have have set stubby as the DNS in windows AND started the server.

Linux

Linux is so much easier. Lets just create the unbound as we did before on the local system EXCEPT we make it forward to our DoT server

See that section for configuring. See below for the changed configuration

## Unbound Configuration for Forwarding DOT Resolve
# Author: PhaseLockedLoop

server:
    verbosity: 0
    port: 31335 # Define port of your choice
    do-ip6: yes # Enable but not prefer if 6 is a capability on the network (i.e 6in4)
    trust-anchor-file: trusted-key.key # MUST HAVE FOR DNS SEC
    num-threads: 4 # Set to 1 if you do not have a powerful server
    so-rcvbuf: 1m
    tls-cert-bundle: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt # Only necessary for DoT Lookups
    forward-zone:
        name: "DoT"
        forward-tls-upstream: yes
	forward-addr: 2600:3c04::f03c:92ff:fec6:2030@853#<TLD>
	forward-addr: 192.53.120.164@853#<TLD>

Start unbound and point your DNS settings in your network manager to it as well as your /etc/resolve.conf (see earlier in the guide)

Done

Mac OSX

Step 1: Install Stubby with Homebrew (http://dnsprivacy.org/dns_privacy_daemon_-_stubby/):

brew install stubby

Step 2: Edit the configuration file:

vim /usr/local/etc/stubby/stubby.yml

Step 3: Remove the default DNSes an replace them with your server: (similar to how you did with windows) (ill post only the upstream block)

upstream_recursive_servers:
- address_data: 192.53.120.164
  tls_auth_name: “<TLD>"
- address_data: 2600:3c04::f03c:92ff:fec6:2030
  tls_auth_name: “<TLD>"

And also verify that Stubby is configured to use DNS over TLS for MAC OSX: (check the section or add it)

dns_transport_list:
    - GETDNS_TRANSPORT_TLS

tls_authentication: GETDNS_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED  

Step 4: Start the stubby service using the daemon that homebrew executes:

sudo brew services start stubby

Step 5: Replace the current DNS configuration to use 127.0.0.1 using the script provided with stubby

sudo /usr/local/opt/stubby/sbin/stubby-setdns-macos.sh

Step 6: Verify that everything is working as expected (use dig or nslookup): (I like to lookup all the information I can)

dig -t A www.google.com ALL
dig -t AAAA www.google.com ALL

Voila done

Android (Android P and above)

LOL Probably the simplest configuration there is:

Just set your URL in the private DNS settings location (varies from android to android)

IOS

You cant right now but you can set plain DNS for openNIC if you want :wink:

Guess yall are just (as of 02/21/2021)

SEE UPDATE IN UPDATES SECTION

Updates!

CONFIG UPDATE:

Ive added optimizations. Auth Zones for the master. Hardened DNSSEC further. See below

HARDENING UPDATE

Updated Configuration 2021-11-09T07:00:00Z:

## Unbound Configuration for Recursive Resolve

# SERVER BLOCK
server:

# Initial Configuration and Ports
    verbosity: 5
    port: 31335 

# IP4/6 TCP/UDP Configuration
    so-reuseport: yes
    max-udp-size: 3072
    udp-upstream-without-downstream: yes

# Root Hints

# DNSSEC and HARDEN
    harden-short-bufsize: yes
    harden-large-queries: yes
    harden-below-nxdomain: yes
    harden-referral-path: yes
    target-fetch-policy: "-1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1"
    harden-algo-downgrade: no
    trust-anchor-file: trusted-key.key
    hide-identity: yes
    hide-version: yes
    qname-minimisation: yes
    aggressive-nsec: yes
    unwanted-reply-threshold: 10000
    rrset-roundrobin: yes
    minimal-responses: yes
    module-config: "validator iterator"
    root-key-sentinel: yes
    val-clean-additional: yes
    val-log-level: 2
    trust-anchor-signaling: yes

# OPTIMIZE
    cache-min-ttl: 0
    serve-expired: yes
    so-reuseport: yes
    msg-cache-slabs: 8
    rrset-cache-slabs: 8
    infra-cache-slabs: 8
    key-cache-slabs: 8
    outgoing-range: 4096
    msg-cache-size: 256m
    rrset-cache-size: 512m
    num-threads: 4
    so-rcvbuf: 8m
    so-sndbuf: 8m
    # Other parameters

# REMOTE CONTROL BLOCK
remote-control:
    # Enable Remote Control
    control-enable: yes

# what interfaces are listened to for remote control.
    control-interface: 127.0.0.1

# port number for remote control operations.
    control-port: 8953

# unbound server key file.
    server-key-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_server.key"

# unbound server certificate file.
    server-cert-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_server.pem"

# unbound-control key file.
    control-key-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_control.key"

# unbound-control certificate file.
    control-cert-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_control.pem"

Apple IOS and MAC OSX USERS Update

ive written a rudimentary way of your installing DoT into your iphone with iOS 13+

Filename < MY-TLD >-ios-dns.mobileconfig

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PayloadContent</key>
	<array>
        <dict>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>XYZ DNS over TLS</string>
            <key>PayloadDescription</key>
            <string>Configures device to use XYZ Encrypted DNS over TLS</string>
            <key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
            <string>XYZ DNS</string>
            <key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.dnsSettings.managed.AFCA1444-5AEB-44CD-B23D-5D1B3ADCD1EE</string>
            <key>PayloadType</key>
            <string>com.apple.dnsSettings.managed</string>
            <key>PayloadUUID</key>
            <string>A6F9CB2D-F00E-4C3A-90EB-E19E5B872C4F</string>
            <key>PayloadVersion</key>
            <integer>1</integer>
            <key>DNSSettings</key>
            <dict>
                <key>DNSProtocol</key>
                <string>TLS</string>
                <key>ServerAddresses</key>
                <array>
                    <string>2600:3c04:0:0:f03c:92ff:fec6:2030</string>
                    <string>192.53.120.164</string>
                </array>
                <key>ServerName</key>
                <string>YOUR TLD</string>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </array>
	<key>PayloadDescription</key>
	<string>Adds the XYZ DNS to Big Sur and iOS 14 based systems</string>
	<key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
	<string>XYZ DNS over TLS</string>
	<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
    <string>r.macOSBeta.0BD60CF6-64B5-4D16-BEA4-7294E93BDD4C</string>
	<key>PayloadRemovalDisallowed</key>
	<false/>
	<key>PayloadType</key>
	<string>Configuration</string>
	<key>PayloadUUID</key>
	<string>01DA864C-C3AF-4039-A8D0-A00D982B1569</string>
	<key>PayloadVersion</key>
	<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Basically what you need to do is replace your DNS server’s DoT endpoint into my file…

Install Directions

1. Transfer the file to your phone, you can email it to yourself, use iCloud or any other method you prefer.

2. Open the file on your phone. Once open, you will see a message which says Profile Downloaded.

3. Open Settings and select Profile Downloaded

4. Tap Install in the top-right corner and follow on-screen instructions. The phone will display a warning that the profile is unsigned. thats fine LOL

5. To start using encrypted DNS, in Settings, select VPN & Network. You should see DNS near the bottom. Tap this and from the list select < MY-TLD > DNS. These are the settings from your freshly installed profile.

There’s no guarantee this continues working. It’s at the whim of apple and it’s documentation

@Eden @SgtAwesomesauce bet you could rejigger this mobile config for any DoT endpoint. Say quad9 or your preferred server? Eden you know more about apple. What’s the state of DoT and DoH?

Gravity Lists

The manual output of lists is useless because the functionality is a package deal. You need all of my settings imported not just adlists

[✓] Creating new gravity databases
  [✓] Storing downloaded domains in new gravity database
  [✓] Building tree
  [✓] Swapping databases
  [i] Number of gravity domains: 15255050 (6179958 unique domains)
  [i] Number of exact blacklisted domains: 30
  [i] Number of regex blacklist filters: 54
  [i] Number of exact whitelisted domains: 15384
  [i] Number of regex whitelist filters: 12
  [✓] Flushing DNS cache
  [✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✓] FTL is listening on port 53
     [✓] UDP (IPv4)
     [✓] TCP (IPv4)
     [✓] UDP (IPv6)
     [✓] TCP (IPv6)

[✓] Pi-hole blocking is enabled
    ~ ▓▒░                                                           ░▒▓ ✔  took 7m 38s   with eric@bi-frost  at 13:02:56  

Should your google play store or IOS store stop working. Its possible the google and apple URLs got caught. Consult your query log and proceed to whitelist until functional.

Comments, Questions Concerns?

C’est fini, bonne chance :wink:

Any services discovered in this guide are pursuant to the following Policy: https://services.< MY-TLD >.net/privacyLegal.html

Links to Infrastructure Series and Other Resources

Blog: Phaselockedloopable- PLL’s continued exploration of networking, self-hosting and decoupling from big tech

Phaselockedloopable- PLL’s continued exploration of networking, self-hosting and decoupling from big tech

Series 1: Native Dual Stack IP4+IP6

Infrastructure Series – Native Dual Stack IP4+IP6

Series 2: Wireguard Site to Site Tunnel

Infrastructure Series – Wireguard Site to Site Tunnel

Series 3: Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX

Infrastructure Series – Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX

Series 4: NGINX Reverse Proxy and Hardening SSL

Infrastructure Series – NGINX Reverse Proxy and Hardening SSL

Series 5: Taking DNS One Step Further - Full DNS Server infrastructure

Infrastructure Series – Taking DNS One Step Further - Full DNS Server infrastructure

Series 6: HTTP(S) Security Headers! You should use them!

Infrastructure Series – HTTP(S) Security Headers! You should use them! [NGINX]

Series 7: Use NGINX to inject CSS themes

Infrastructure Series – Use NGINX to inject CSS themes

ONE KEY TO RULE THEM ALL

Setting up a YubiKey Properly – One Key to rule them ALL!

Series 9: Infrastructure Series: BIND9 Authoritative DNS Guide “Please See Me Edition”

Infrastructure Series: BIND9 Authoritative DNS Guide “Please See Me Edition”

Buy me a crypto-beer

If you found this guide helpful you can donate Monero or Bitcoin to me at the following address in my User Card Profile

14 Likes

Index of further posts:

Additional Pihole configuration files

Configuration Dump is also located here

Updated Unbound Configuration:

How to block certain services from phoning home:

1 Like

Nice write-up. I appreciate the section on forward and recursive DNS servers but I was still confused how the differ after reading it. Correct me if I’m wrong but after a quick search it looks like forwarding servers send queries from the bottom to the top, where typically it goes from your router, to your ISP, to wherever your ISP forwards too, eventually going back to the root servers if it needs to (or stops at any recursive DNS lookup along the chain). Whereas the recursive server goes from top to bottom and starts with the TLD DNS server, which directs you to the proper authoritative name server where you end up getting the proper IP address straight from the horses mouth (The specific DNS records for that domain)

1 Like

Yes that is exactly correct. Top down is superior imho. Your ISP is a recursive. Cloudflare is a recursive and sometimes an authoritative … quad 9 is too

Why not run your own :wink:

1 Like

Because the majority of people don’t need it and maintaining it over a long term is not something everyone wants to do.

Using yourself as an example/anecdote is not a reason for people to do as you do.

While my target is most people I do preface the guide with this

But anyways unbound runs pretty flawlessly I havent had to touch it yet. testimonials on reddit about uptime seem optimistic.

I think its cool to have your own DNS infrastructure

1 Like

You’ve only ran unbound for less than 24hrs.

1 Like

For now. I do think the uptime will be no different.

Ive ran unbound before on my laptop for a year. Never had issues with DoT to the cloudflare servers.

im 99% sure I will see the same results. Ill let you know if it fails though :wink:

Stability update: (you dont need to care but I thought others might)

No hiccups yet

Now Novasty did point something out. You dont need to pull the root hints folks. The unbound package should update that by default. It doesnt hurt to pull the update manually if you have a regularly timed set of mainteance tasks but either will suffice

You say that, but everyone know that disclaimers get ignored.

1 Like

Sounds like the issue is between the “everyone” and the keyboard :wink:

Everyone should know I google most of this stuff. Im not a SME

If everyone knew how to do that, I wouldn’t have a job.

3 Likes

Not updated Scroll down

2 Likes

Zing! But he’s (PLL) correct to be optimistic. I’ve been running various combinations of Pihole, Unbound & Wireguard (OpenVPN before that) for 3-4 years now, ultimately what OS you’re running underneath all of this is the only real question. Everything from Raspian Lite to Ubuntu Server or pure Debian (both physical and virtual machines, as well as SBCs) has been rock-solid stable in my experience. Granted, i’m running a more standard configuration (without NGINX) but the premise remains. This stuff is dead simple to spin up, my old college roommate is terrified of command line and he didn’t have any issues getting a couple Pi-holes running on a brand new RPi4 in an afternoon. Perhaps not everyone should consider running their own DNS, but most competent human beings with a mild interest in technology DEFINITELY should at least consider it.

Unless you love supporting advertising agencies by providing them unlimited access to your data and privacy.

3 Likes

He runs Arch. I’ve never used it, can’t say much about it.

3 Likes

As novasty pointed out I do run arch and Manjaro arm.

It’s rock solid stable just like anything else. The thing it doesn’t have is a security policy

You have to write one. There’s a lot of none sense out there about unsupported distros etc. Truth is it’s linux and Linux is linux. Pedigreeism about distros is annoying.

The reason I ran it is to always be on the latest upstream and because it was lightweight. That was my reason haha

Unbound has been stupidly stable this entire time. Some pihole issues cropped up and the need for some optimizations but that’s it

1 Like

Now this you can fuck off on until all distros decide to finally agree on a unified filesystem structure. I can’t freely just hop over from RHEL to Deb/buntu without relearning a few things here and there because someone had the bright idea of having a completely different philosophy in user experience.

1 Like

They realistically will never do that Debian has its way in Red hat has its way.

Arch seems to come very close to the Red hat way

Suse follows the red hat way

In a lot of ways Debian and Ubuntu are the special snowflakes. But they are the big globby ones you can’t ignore

I like the file structure of Red hat and because Arch does kind of do a similar structure I’m fine on Arch

Then use what you want? All I’m saying is that pedigreeism in choosing one because we think one is better than the other is false

You weigh the pros and cons of what the distro has. Does it suit the purpose you wanted to It’s not going to be better

Almost all posix tools you’ll use function exactly the same way. And a newer kernel functions pretty much the same way.

your terminal is going to function pretty much the same way we’re talking about file paths here.

And it’s frustrating I know I bitched about it too but it’s just like we got to look it up and then we are okay. Fedora in particular threw me off again but I actually started to like its organization’s game with nginx

1 Like

Manjaro was the closest I ever got to dabbling with Arch-family stuff, on my quest to find the perfect (for me) Linux desktop distro I made a quick detour with Manj ~17 maybe, but my preference remains to stick within Deb family stuff, although I don’t love the pure Debian desktop experience, especially if you have modern hardware. But it’s rock-solid, almost boringly stable. Great for set it and forget it appliances I tend to build and tinker with.

1 Like

Testing complete. No issues to report.

Optimizations have worked and are very nice

Memory usage increased 15% but its well within limitations