[Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

Hey, is it possible to split the computer inputs to different monitors with 2x output models? For example, use DP1 from PC1 on monitor 1 and DP2 from PC2 on monitor 2?

Hmmm, I’m a little confused by your question. If you have 2 computers going to independent monitors, maybe you would just need a USB KM?

Sry for the confusion.
Most of the time, I have both monitors for PC1 or PC2. Sometimes, I want to have PC1 on monitor 1 and PC2 on monitor 2.
Would that be possible with one KVM (with dual input/output) or do I need two KVMs, one for each monitor?

Idk about that being possible…

I would use a direct HDMI connection for when you want them separate, and then DisplayPort through the KVM when you want to use it.

Or, I suppose you could buy a 3 PC 2 Monitor KVM:

PC 1
PC 1 → Monitor 1
PC 1 → Monitor 2

PC 2
PC 2 → Monitor 1
PC 2 → Monitor 2

PC 3
PC 1 → Monitor 1
PC 2 → Monitor 2

You could use the 3rd PC and mix the PC input cables.

Does anyone have experience connecting a raspberry pi usb mini-hdmi to the DP 4x1 kvm switch?

I would like to be able to switch between pi’s easily but have not had any luck researching this yet

O.K this is new to me, I didn’t even know DP 2.0 cables were out yet as I thought in order to use a DP 2 cable you would need a DP 2 device, everything I have is DP 1.4a.

Okay I have a first world problem to sort out.

I have two PCs one with a 4080, the other a 4090 both have 3 x DP1.4a outputs and 1 x HDMI 2.1 output, I use these in conjunction with a PAAG-E3132B to drive 2 x ViewSonic XG2703s and 1 x Alienware AW3423DW.

The problem is that this uses all of the Display Ports, I was looking at one of these as a possibility for connecting the Valve Index VR I just brought to the video cards HDMI out but have been told by the manufacturer that no way no how will this ever work.

So I have asked about flipping the problem on it’s head and connecting the cable from HDMI 2.1 out to the PAAG-E3132B as if it were just a normal display port connection and using the Display Port that is now free on the video card for the Valve Index.

Can anyone see any reason or does anyone know of any reason why this converter would not work with the PAAG-E3132B?

Thanks in advance.

Hm, I have no experience with Valve VR. From what I gather, the manufacturer says HDMI → DP doesn’t work for a good reason. They are impossible without the correct adapter.

You can convert HDMI to DisplayPort, but it will lower the bandwidth to HDMI 2.0 → DisplayPort 1.2. It should work with your GPU, but you might not be able to achieve the refresh rates you’re wanting. To convert HDMI to DisplayPort, you should really get a good “active” adapter they call it. Like this one:

We’ve tried that adapter and know it can work with the KVM. You might give that active adapter a try for the GPU. Probably won’t work for the Valve VR, but you could always try lol

I have never tried the cable you listed, I’m highly skeptical it will actually convert HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 for the L1Techs KVM.

Ah, update. In the description:

“This HDMI to Displayport cable won’t accept 2nd conversion, :bangbang:and the HDMI plug of this cable must be inserted into the HDMI port of the video source directly. Please DO NOT connect the HDMI plug and Displayport Plug to any other video devices such as video capture, switcher, KVM, splitter, HDMI extension cable, and Displayport adapter or extension cable, that won’t work.”

… sorry to be the bearer of bad news D:

Hi,

I am using the DP1.4 1x4 KVM.
I have a ZSA moonlander keyboard, this runs QMK firmware.

When I plug the keyboard into a USB2 port in the back of the switch, it works for controlling the KVM as expected.
However, the keyboard no longer shows up when I use the ZSA flashing tool to update the firmware.
If I plug the keyboard into the hub I have coming off the USB 3 port of the switch, it works as expected for the firmware flashing functionality, but no longer works for the KVM control, since the USB3 ports are not meant for HID control.

Also interestingly, when I plug the keyboard into the USB2 port on the switch, my windows laptop emits the sound for ‘new hardware detected’, even though that laptop is not the currently selected computer for the KVM switch.
The laptop does not make this sound when I plug my keyboad into the USB3 port via my hub.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue with QMK keyboards and possibly ZSA ones in particular?

For context:
I am using the zsa in-browser flasing utility.
My main computer is running Gentoo Linux.

Note:
In case anyone is curious as I was before trying it:
The ZSA layout editor, and I imagine QMK which underlies it, allows you to create macros, but it doesn’t let me set delay between keys in the macro. Not sure if this is a QMK limitation or a limitation of the ZSA editor.
Never the less, I created macros that do “Scroll lock → Scroll lock → [1,2,3,4]”, and these macros work to switch computers on the KVM.

this is not an issue per se, just a misunderstanding of how hid is meant to work. usb hid Actually Really Does have some stuff built in to make dynamically mapping between hosts a thing for a kvm type scenario. Printing even! the USB hid ports are meant for hid devices. Firmware programming isn’t part of the hid spec unfortunately; it makes sense you’d have to move it over to a usb3 port to program it.

USB is pretty insanely complicated, and if you go read the spec, there are hilarious incomplete “draft” parts and really stuff that just doesn’t make any sense at all.

I can’t sniff usb3 at speed. I can’t sniff for shortcuts when things deviate from the hid standard.

QMK follows the rules pretty well, which is why it works as well as it does. But hid switching means that the device shows up as “hid” which is soft cutover and why your laptop beeps. The kvm does hid device switching at the protocol level. This Just Works Better especially for things like avc/uvc audio codecs, keyboards, etc as explained in the faq…

1 Like

Cable Question: My desk layout is such that the total cable length I need is about 3m. When I eventually go 4K I’ll pay the FIBBR tax (in for a penny…) until then I’m at 1440 on 2 monitors.

I’m assuming the L1 cables will work for this. But figured I’d check before buying (this would be the 4PC/2Mon - PAAG-E3124B) .

Thanks

Oh yeah 1440p should be no problem with the L1Techs cables! Especially at such a short length.

1 Like

SWEET! Thanks

1 Like

We have “scratch-and-dent” KVMs available at discounted prices at the moment!

too late :upside_down_face:

I already got the “been shipped” email

Thanks for the offer though…

PS: where are you folks located? I’m getting emails timestamped 4am…

xD Oof close. Oh well. It’s general info for everyone. We’re in us eastern standard time. Probably 2-3 hours ahead, so 6-7am

I am experiencing an issue with no dispaly output during boot for any of my machines. This includes no motherboard logo, no grub boot selection, and no TTY display before SDDM starts.

All these machines previously displayed video out during boot on this same setup with a different KVM.

Machines tried:
Dell latitude 5500 laptop using HDMI to Displayport adapter
Desktop with Gigabyte X570 master mobo // nvidia 2070 super gpu

I am using the DP1.4 1x4 KVM

Has anyone seen similar issues?

Have never seen that before. Reboot the kvm? You cannot hot plug during bootup tho if that’s what your are describing. If the input isn’t active early in the boot process it won’t later activate the display if you toggle over to it “during” boot. Input has to be active and stay active just before you would normally see post output.

How do I reboot the KVM?
Just unplug and plug back in?

After rebooting the KVM by unplugging it from power, waiting about 10 seconds, then replugging it the issue persists.

It seems to be all the connections, not just the display.
I pressed Del repeatedly to get into the BIOS during boot, but it still booted normally and only showed a video output once at SDDM login.

Update:
Rebooting with another monitor works.
The monitor that fails: samsung LC32G75TQSNXZA 2560x1440 240Hz
The monitor that works: Gigabyte CV27F 1920x1080 165Hz

I use the samsung monitor at 1920x1080 240 Hz in system with no issues,. However I just tested it and it intermitantly goes black for a few seconds when I set it to full 2560x1440 240 Hz. It works file at 2560x1440 144Hz.

I think this suggests a cable issue, right?
My total cable length is, I think, 16 feet, >5m. Now I’m looking at this, I think I can get it down to 13 feet, ~4m, easily.
I am going to get the club3d cables as recommended and see how that goes.

Probably. Can you send pictures of your cables? You might be using DP 1.2. Either that, or the cables might be a little faulty. It should be fine with this 1440p monitor normally.

144Hz and 240Hz are probably using DSC (display stream compression). Can you try 120Hz? If it’s a bandwidth issue from the cables, 120Hz could be a good test.