[Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

Correct, and those are blue. One on the front, one on the back.

They are not quite the same. Speed-wise the HID ports are slower. For a lot of peripherals, this doesn’t matter though. The white USB ports saying HID means that they are HID Compliant. It’s a universal USB standard. It is not suitable for all USB connections. The LEDs, custom software, etc. in peripherals often times will need a USB 3.0 connection. More on that below.

That depends. I don’t have much experience with the Logitech Bolt connection. Some peripherals will violate HID specification and that will force you to have to use the blue USB 3.0 instead. There’s nothing wrong with this, that’s why the USB 3.0 ports are there. Just be mindful keyboards plugged into a USB 3.0 port will lose access to the keyboard shortcuts for your KVM. They rely on the USB-HID standard to work.

I suggest getting all your cables connected, trying the USB-HID port, and if that doesn’t work, power cycle the KVM and try the receiver in one of the blue USB 3.0 ports. :slight_smile: if you need more USB 3.0 you can always get a USB hub.

Yeah, I think I’ll just get a USB3 hub. Any Level1 favorites that are validated to work with this KVM?

On a more positive note, I finally got all my cables and I am able to switch between my machines for the displays! Next is figuring out the keyboard/mouse lol

1 Like

Does this also carry the audio signal if I plug in my desktop speakers into the KVM?

The default setting is to separate each input, however! There is a hotkey. You can find a list of all the hotkeys in the “KVM Shortcuts / Command List” section.

We use Anker here sometimes, and their products are pretty good. You could probably use something like this without issue:

Hello,

Interested in buying a KVM capable of handling my current WFH - personal PC setup:

PC1 (work laptop) connected to a docking station (ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock v2), monitor 1 Dell 27" G2724D 1440p@165hz, monitor 2 Alienware 34" AW3420DW@120Hz - both G-Sync, and two HID devices Razer DA V2 Pro, Ducky Shine 7. The 2nd monitor, mouse and keyboard after I finish work I have to keep unplugging from docking station to my personal computer (pc2) -which is the reason I am looking at a more permanent solution to get away from this to a KVM.
What type of KVM will best suit my needs to accommodate the docking station (charging the laptop) and to not have to replug monitor 2 , k&m?
@wendell.

Cant make usb-c kvm work in ubuntu, it works in bios, but after login “no signal”. Works good on second pc (windows 11). Sometimes it works but only until next pc switch

Probably a software thing. Not much in the kvm would stop it from working depending on os.

What GPU? Can you ssh in and see if any console messages?

just intels 13900 gpu
after switch there r lots of msgs like:
kernel: [ 372.323290] usb 1-6.4: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-71)
kernel: [ 386.729668] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] ERROR AUX USBC2/DDI TC2/PHY C: did not complete or timeout within 10ms (status 0xac4003ff)
[ 389.741617] WARNING: CPU: 4 PID: 2629 at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/display/intel_dp_aux.c:241 intel_dp_aux_xfer+0x89a/0x8c0 [i915]
looks like a crash in intel’s driver (tho ssh is working)

the dual dp kvm is probably all you need, though usbc docks can sometimes be a little wonky. displaylink stuff usually works okay, and caldigit is by far the most reliable.

I have a dual monitor + usbc power delivery kvm coming soon that could work well. would ley you run the alienware over “dedicated” DP and power+dp for the lesser 1440p monitor, which is a nice combo imho.

The KVM with usb X power delivery will basically replace the need to have to use the docking station, from my very little understanding…
Probably will wait for that then to de-clutter my desk.
Any ETA and price point for that?

eta could be as soon as september, finishing details now. not sure on price, probably slightly more than the dual pc dual monitor kvm

1 Like

Thanks Wendell, I will wait until then to buy one of your tuned KVMs- and hopefully the USB C one will be all I will need.

I don’t see any mention in this thread about the availability of DP 2.0 cables yet. I found some monoprice DP 2.0 cables on amazon, bought a 1.5 foot version, real tiny. Tossed some chokes on each end for good measure. Had Club3D 3ft cables before and it was… ok, all of my devices would occasionally “blink” annoyingly often at best (few times an hour) and at worst would sometimes take a bit of time to “sync up” after switching between devices.

After testing on an M2 studio which had given me the most problems due to having to do TB to DP instead of a nice big fat DP cable the whole way, so far it’s only “blinked” once in a few hours I’ve been testing it. Gonna try to get a Moshi cable, see if that clears up the rest.

I don’t know what you mean by blinked… but

I am running on my 2pc 3monitor kvm
2 x Viewsonic XG2703-GS Gsync gaming monitors @ 2560 x 1440 @ 144 Hz.
1 x Alienware AW3423DW Gsync gaming monitor @ 3440 x 1440 @ 175 Hz.

I’ve only had one issue thus far where the entire length of a cable run was 7 metres as they were the only cables I had at the time and one monitor would periodically act as if I was swapping between a multi monitor and a single monitor setup, this seems to have disappeared by replacing the 5m DisplayPort cable I had with a 2m one, reducing the cable run from 7 to 3 meters.

If “blink” is what I think it is, I would be looking at the cables first, not the KVM.

I mean, I literally said I had better results with shorter cables and upgrading them to DP 2.0 speced cables. Presumably since DP 2.0 has much higher bandwidth requirements it should be able to provide a more stable signal for DP 1.4 gear currently in use. So far so good with the 1.5ft DP 2.0 monoprice.

I’ve been periodically checking in since the beginning of the year on the Dual Monitor Four Computer KVM to see if the 10G USB model had become available. The 5G model will work for me, but I thought I may as well get the latest version if possible. Is there an update on the availability of the 10G version, or should I go ahead and get the 5G version?

@wendell

The first public batches of the dual monitor 4 PC 10g kvms should stock around the beginning of August.

1 Like

Great! Thanks @Level1_Amber and @wendell!