[Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

I have a PAAG-E3112B that was working until today, it provides video and switches from input to input successfully, but does not allow any USB device to function regardless of port or device type (keyboard, mouse, whatever). Windows10 sees a new hub plugged in after the switch, but that’s all.

Potentially related, the KVM now has additional beeps after plugging in its power cord, almost like there’s a new configuration or even an error. I haven’t been able to find a resource online that documents the beep. It’s a two beep code that happens after the typical single beep after it’s plugged in.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

unplug the kvm power and usb for at least 1 minute solid then plug it back in. see if the port selection buttons beep normally. there is overcurrent protection in the kvm with a soft fuse and it takes a solid minute to reset. If you still have problems email me wendell at level1techs . com so I can do further diagnostics

Hi, I have a few suggestions for additional hotkey sequences.

• USB/Audio manual selection

I have two computers, with 3 monitors. However, only 2 monitors go through the KVM, with the other monitor always on the first PC.

I see there are options for auto follow port selection for audio and USB, but It would be amazing if there was a USB/Audio Port selection, separate from display selection.

There are cases where I want to keep my displays on computer 2 (and not swap computers) but I want to quickly control my first computer (since it still has a monitor connected), and then jump back quickly. Think of rearranging the windows on PC 1, skipping songs, etc. - things that don’t require a display switch.

• Display Re-connect

Sometimes when swapping between PC and Mac (and this usually only happens to the Mac) I get screen tearing/weirdness that goes away if I simply unplug and reconnect the usbc cable that connects the displays.

It would be really nice to just have that as a hotkey so I don’t have to get up out of my chair to do it :slight_smile:

Can I use the Moshi cable to connect to Thunderbolt ports on non-Macs too? Like my HP Spectre 15t-eb100?

I recently received my PAAG-ET3122B, and I’m having a couple of issues with it.

Currently connected to a single Windows PC on the PC2 connection set.

1. Plugging in a Razer DeathAdder V2 doesn’t work. I’m running fine with a Microsoft mouse, but when I plug in the Razer to any of hte USB ports I either don’t get any indication that the mouse is plugged in, or the PC gives me a cycle of Windows “Device Connected/Disconnected” noises until I unplug it again.

2. Sound is not coming through the PC2 input and out to my speakers. However, even with PC2 selected as the active PC input, I get sound if I plug the audio into the PC1 audio jack. Also note that, when I first turn the device on, I do hear a couple of seconds of sound from the PC2 input, which stops when the device is fully powered up and I’m back in the “only sound from PC1” state again.

@wendell - I’ve never heard of the audio problem that their talking about. Also, the mouse not working at all is very weird.

It’s definitely not normal behavior. You might need to email “wendell at level1techs dot com” sounds like it could be an RMA.

it will work in a usb3 port BUT if you have the software installed AND you tried it in a hid port first, you’ll have to reboot the kvm. This has to do with how we manage endpoints inside the kvm when it shows up first on the hid side of the world, but is not actually fully hid compliant in some very specific (and sketch) ways. GJ razer…

the “only sound from PC1” state again.

There is a shortcut key to keep audio at one PC or the other, perhaps you’ve hit that by mistake? its in the faq

sure?

Good to know! Added this to the FAQ.

Thanks. I have a gaming keyboard that doesn’t work for the hotkeys, so it looks like the KVM shipped with a fixed port for audio. I’ve found another keyboard and changed to follow mode, and that looks to have fixed the audio issue.

Still having issues with the Razer DAv2. Unplugged the KVM, plugged it into a non-HID port, and restarted the KVM. It’s still causing the PC to cycle device connection notifications. I do not have the Razer Synapse software installed, I’ll try that next.

the cycling connection sounds like a short or overcurrent protection.

I have one of the OG death adders from a billion years ago that has a short in it if you bend the cable a certain way. Wonder if that’s it…

It could also have sent garbage tot he kvm in “hid” mode as it might be misdetected as a keyboard… the razer controller for mmo mice presents a hid keyboard endpoint but its not always actually physically there

I’ve tried it with two different instances of the DAv2, so I don’t think it’s a cable issue. I understand that Razer doesn’t always color within the lines of the USB spec, so I’m willing to use the Microsoft mouse. That said, if anybody has gotten a Razer DAv2 to work, I’d love to compare notes.

It may also be the WIndows box. It’s a work-purchased Lenovo ThinkStation with a single USB-C port on the front. I’ll should get the second PC on the switch soon, and then I’ll see how my gaming rig deals with the DAv2.

Thanks for the quick replies!

My main issue was the audio, which was just the initial mode the device was shipped in an easily fixed.

Try an a to c cables also then? If the front panel USBC is an issue on the Lenovo…

Love this thread!

Just wanted to share my admittedly anecdotal experience with USB-C → DP cables. I ended up taking a chance on a “uni” USB-C to DP cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V27G2R, the 6ft version) and it’s working fine for me. I have a Mac Mini and an AMD NUC connected through these to an Innocn 27C1U 27" 4K monitor (through its DP via an Amazon Basics DP → DP 6ft cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FBJYWTJ) and haven’t any problems.

Yup, I know I took a big risk on this setup, but for me at least it’s working well. Don’t take this as a recommendation, just sharing my personal experience here in case it helps somebody else.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! That’s interesting, glad it’s working for you :smiley:

1 Like

I am curious how to connect USB devices to the KVM? I feel like I am missing something. Obviously just plugging in to the USB port doesn’t work - do I make some other connections (from the type B perhaps?)

I have a 2xmonitor, 4xpc KVM (PAAG-E3124B). I want to connect a Logitech Bolt receiver that connects to my MX keyboard and mouse wirelessly. Also, I see that there are only 2 3.0 output ports. Can I connect a USB3 hub so that I get some more ports? Not very necessary but just thinking of possibilities for my setup.

Hmm. The USB receiver should be compatible. From what I understand, you do need an app for connecting new devices. Have you tried this?

Also you’re probably going to need it in a blue USB port.

Also yes a USB 3.0 hub is compatible. Make sure it really is USB 3.0 though :stuck_out_tongue:

I meant do I need to connect the USB B port to my computer? Right now I only have DP cables going from the KVM to the computer.

Ah ok I see, yes. You will need to plug in 1 USB-B cable per PC. So in your case, 4 cables :slight_smile: you can have multiple bluetooth USBs in the KVM, however, you still need the 1 cable to connect them all to a PC. The KVM does not have any bluetooth capabilities.

only 2 USB3 ports right? Or can I connect the aforementioned Bolt receiver in a USB2 port? The ones on the back say HID though. Is that the same as USB2?