Xbone Scorpio actually seems impressive

Being a sys admin doesn't mean you have good taste i guess....

Buying microsoft over sony in consoles is sort of unfathomable considering the exclusive lists.

I find it hard to imagine anyone with perspective buying an xbox, unless they already had a PS4 and just wanted it for cross platform games. Or* just a buy CoD/Madden or whatever their thing is every year kinda guy and wanted a decent console to play it on.

There is nothing worth playing on the xbox...

And as to games being hard to install or finicky. I'm clearly no where near as tech savvy or your group of people. I have never once had an issue getting a game running that a quick google search couldn't solve.

And DRM? Anything on a PC port will be on the console. Microsoft wanted constant DRM for every game...

Being a sys admin doesn't mean shit in the world of video games, as proven by your friends who buy xboxs as their only consoles. Granted some of you are locked in because of the social aspect, which is fair.

My point with the DRM is on the consoles you really don't notice it is there. They just work. On the PC that isn't always the case.

The reason most of my friends like the xboxone over the ps4? Sony did such an absolute shit job on the ps3 and its communication that we all focused on the xbox 360. The ps4 tried to copy the xbox 360's setup while ms was pushing forward. Now the ps4 is a good system but we liked microsoft's setup and had a good idea that it would be good again where sony had to prove itself. From a social side the integration on the xboxone is hard to ignore. I had friends who would just send out big invites to play titanfall or some other game. I could be watching tv and have it pop up on the screen and decide I want to play. It is a very useful feature and it means I don't play the wii u as much(although to be fair it isn't very good). Honestly the social side of the xbox one makes enough of a difference that I haven't bought a ps4.

I will say as far as the xbox one not having a lot of good games I think that is across the industry right now. The big budget games have gotten pretty bad universally as they try to cover wider audiences.

Big thing is one has a lot of options to go with a console over a pc, same can be said the other way around. One shouldn't really look down on the other.

In my case(and I'd say a lot of my friends cases as well) I don't have a lot of time to play video games. A console works well for this. If I had more time I might have a gaming pc.

I would agree microsoft generally makes a better console in a vacuum. But consoles are about software

I can play 90% of games ever made on my PC.

I can very easily emulate everything worth playing made the wii and before on consoles except the original xbox, which has no software I would want. Not including I can emulate or play basically every PC game ever made....And arcade games

Without the exclusive software a console has nothing to some one like us who can not only build a rig but maintain it for decades. And Microsoft platforms have never had the software, even though I would acknowledge they generally are superior on cross party platforms...If you exclude your PC

It's a total money sink, you can do waht you want. But don't pretend it's for anything but the social aspect.

Over time you've just basically taken cash out of your wallet and burned it if you didn't need xbox live

What PC community hates Nintendo consoles? Does Nintendo consoles not count as real consoles? I don't get all the Nintendo hatred from the Sony and Microsoft communities.

Think back a generation. I don't know if you preferred the ps3 or the xbox360 but it doesn't matter. Remember the Wii selling way better than every other console? Imagine if the vast majority of developers for your platform switched and focused on the Wii instead. Sometimes they would port games over to your console, but it would be optimized for the Wii's hardware and controllers. They even market how the Wii is the most premium gaming experience with the best graphics. And Wii fans bragged about how amazing games looked on the Wii. That the greater power your console provided was useless, it was impossible to even tell the difference.

That is what microsoft and sony consoles are. They claim to be the most premium gaming experience, when they aren't. Remember when Sony and Microsoft fans used to claim it was impossible for humans to tell the difference past 30fps? People aren't peasants for liking the IPs on Sony or Microsoft consoles, but when they are so very much pro graphic fidelity and a premium gaming experience, and are deluding themselves into believing the Sony or Microsoft console is the premium experience, then peasant seems like a decent word for them. Not because their hardware is weak. Not because console growth is nowhere near that of PC. But because they focus so much on hardware and graphics and a premium gaming experience, and they poo poo on Nintendo and then they choose shitty options for hardware and graphics and act smug about it. Hell, you can't even disable bloom, can you? lol Even you in this thread is pretending like the Scorpio is the best option for 4k gaming, that building a 4k gaming PC is so expensive. No it isn't.

You know what i have to buy to get a 4k gaming PC? a new videocard and thats it!. And thats the case with almost every PC gamer. Oh, 4k is a thing? just need to upgrade my videocard. You have to buy an entire new console. My CPU, motherboard, and ram is over 6 years old, my psu is over 8 years old. None of it is showing signs of needing to be replaced. How old is your console that is going to be replaced with the Scorpio? less than 4 years old. I have to upgrade the bulk of my PC far less often then you having to replace your entire console. Oh, the price isn't that different for our games? Really? TF2 is one of the most played FPS, its free. LoL and Dota2, two of the biggest games in PC, completely free. Compared to the biggest console game, CoD, where its $60 minimum, every year, (TF2, LoL, and Dota2 are all old games, that are constantly getting major updates so the savings are recurring every year), and then you have to pay even more for like map packs and other garbage.

See this part here I disagree with

Your telling me someone on a bulldozer/core2 or whatever only needs to upgrade their graphics card to get a good 4k gaming experience?

Sure, if games were properly optimized for newer apis then we wouldnt be having this conversation.

But more often than not they aren't.

I am guessing you are sandy or ivy from the way you are talking, as 4 strong ipc cores are still relevant in this day and age.

Try to see my point of view, I played doom on a q6600 with vulcan + 390x recently and that showed me how fucked up things are when it comes to pc's. It was awesome with 1080p+60fps and everything cranked up.. If you want to talk about planned obsolescence then that would be a very good example. That cpu is STILL more than good enough to game but inefficient software/api is rendering it obsolete.

The simple truth is that the pc landscape is a clusterfuck right now of software that isnt using hardware properly and you always need more muscle on pc to get the same job done on console.

Sorry for the rant, inefficiency is one of my triggers.

i have an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.8Ghz which outperforms every i5 on the market.

i'm not very familiar with the q6660, but you know high resolution is pretty much a GPU thing, right? If your q6600 can run games at 1080p fine, it can run games at 4k fine if it has a better GPU. Being like, my computer can't run games so it isn't correct that all you need is a new videocard to do 4k gaming isn't really taking the spirit of the comment.

And you know if you bought a console at the time you bought that q6600, you would have bought another console by now, and would be looking at the Scorpio as the third upgrade, right?

As soon as you started making the argument "pc master race" and calling console users "peasants" you lost all credibility with me.

2 Likes

meh, retired the cpu recently so its all academic.

It was in the media pc in my living room.

I just dislike people talking about consoles planned obsolescence when broken apis render good pc tech artificially obsolete as well.

Pot / Kettle = black

vulcan and dx12 adoption is taking too damn long :frowning:

More peasant delusion....

Consoles aren't even modular so you can replace a component when it breaks.

The arguments for having a console are few and far between, that is not one of them.

Not to mention I'm not buying platform that doesn't work with 99% of the software ever produced with a PC

I was willing to put up with you up to a point, but seriously

Take your PCMR bullshit of pretending you are better than others and go away.

2 Likes

I'm not big on PCMR

It's just a subtle dig, which is amusing and true

Which is why it pisses you off

If you don't want to hear people make snide remarks on the internet in response to you don't say things that are obviously untrue.

If you had anything substantive to say in response you'd have spit it out instead of this worthless little fit. Of course you don't because buying a Microsoft console is indefensible most of the time.

you think the q6600 really is just not being optimized? A lot of people in the gaming community really underestimate the number of threads games are taking advantage of.

A 4K capable gaming machine for around $500 seems impressive to me. Even more so when the machine comes pre built and with a pretty little case. Or maybe I'm just a easily impressed unwashed console peasant.

select games with custom video settings almost always manipulated to make them graphically less intensive and who knows what they'll call true 4k. I'm sure a 470 can run some games at 4k 60fps as well.

Dude just using the words 4k doesn't mean anything

Again they're not selling you 1000 dollars worth of hardware for 500 bucks.

This doesn't change the game, this is not a "4k" gaming device. Which is a meaningless distinction in this context anyway.

At what FPS? How nice will the physics be? Most importantly what the hell would you want to use it for?

The answer is obviously going to be sub par if it's running at 4k res. The whole 4k gaming like is a transparent gimmick, obviously it depends on the software.

1 Like

Tone it down just a bit there, it's OK to strongly defend points of view, even if those are very controversial, but rant on products and companies, not on users personally please.

A counter-argument by the way is super easy: why would you want to turn perfectly good PC hardware into a console by installing Windows or some other spyware piece of walled garden crap on it lol. Keep your good PC hardware for real computer operating systems, buy a cheap console for gaming on the side, because a console is more useful in a social context, like gaming with kids or friends or family, and you can just unplug them after you're done and not plug them in again until you game again, thus leading to vastly reduced privacy problems in comparison to infecting perfectly good expensive PC hardware with that spyware crap.

There are always two sides. I agree that it's perfectly OK to have a strong discussion. Just don't make it personal.

2 Likes

I wonder if it would be possible to do some distributive system with a bunch of old consoles with Linux installed on them? Have them layed out in a graph pattern and have a single console give out processing tasks to its neighboring consoles and it computes some processes of its own.

The USAF nuclear strategic weapons early warning system actually consists of a whole bunch of PS3's running linux. It's a pretty good super computer.

Edit: if you want to check it out, it's called the "Condor Cluster". (https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html)

1 Like

Distributed systems interest me a lot. Its a hard choice between principles of AI and parallel algorithms course?