Xbone Scorpio actually seems impressive

Hardware integrated DX12
12 GB GDDR5
Upclocked Jaguar CPU (8 core @ 2.3Ghz)
Vapor chamber cooling
6 teraflop GPU with 40 compute units @ 1172 MHz
All 4k games will super sample to 1080p
900p games will run natively at 4k (most the time)
Forza team was able to port Forza 3(?) to Scorpio in 2 days and run it at 4k @ ~60% GPU

No price
No pictures

3 Likes

Those GPU specs seem to be just above an RX 480. With a low level API I think Scorpio could actually play games rather well.

1 Like

I think that's what they're aiming for. Instead of making a low/mid grade PC they want to take all variables off the table and make the hardware as optimized as possible and easy as possible to work with. They seem to be on the right track here.

He mentions that in there somewhere as well.

Also looks like it should theoretically perform above the recent PS4 Pro as well. Faster CPU, beefier GPU, more RAM. Now if only it could run a desktop OS :thinking:

I wonder if we'll be seeing HBM on the ninth gen consoles.

2 Likes

I think it will define the future or how gaming code is written

1 Like

I'm kinda thinking the same way... if this is just a console mid-gen 'refresh' then we can look forward to console being actually great gaming machines in the next generation. If the can cut down as many barriers as possible to make code work as well as possible we could see them start beating out PC performance with lower hardware needs/cost.

I'm fine with that as long as I can stream the video to my laptop like I can now.

1 Like

I'm fine with consoles becoming closer to PCs as long as it also comes with a greater potential support for modding. They also need to get rid of the walled garden mentality.

So far, for PC gamers, the good news is mostly that console ports will be inherently less poorly optimized.
So, I guess even more people will buy Ubisoft and EA titles?

2 Likes

Not bad, now we just need to see the price to performance ratio.

1 Like

It better be available for cheap. Like sub $500.

Probably wont happen tho. Unless they turn this into a Bugatti type machine and take a big loss. They already have taken a loss on consoles in the past. If they don't, maybe $500 ish maybe top end $550.

1 Like

Define "cheap"

2 Likes

I am amazed how much performance they can wring out of 8 jaguar cores.
Hopefully PC and console development will be more synergistic.

7850k!

1 Like

The problem is Microsoft and Sony can't provide a gaming experience that competes with PC. And instead of trying to provide a different experience, they're trying to get as close to PC gaming as possible. As a PC gamer, I don't care how close they get. I will never give up the flexibility and power of PC gaming. So I bought a Nintendo Switch, because unlike Sony and Microsoft, they're not trying to match my PC's power, they're trying to provide a different type of gaming experience, and that is far more valuable than a couple extra teraflops of performance. I don't care if they fit a 1080ti on this thing and charge $500 for it. Provide a good gaming experience, not a shitty PC experience.

6 Likes

My bet is it will cost no less than 600$.

Even with the advantage of mass-production, i'd be damn impressed if they can beat both PC performance and PC price tags without any significant compromise (inb4 they melt/burn like samsungs).
But if I'm wrong, that would also probably bring a drop in PC part prices, so no complaints either way.

I'm thinking 500 dollars myself.

I think the biggest question is how long will this last? Rumor is that Sony is coming out with their next gen console soon. You have to think maybe what 3 years max before a new generation comes out for Microsoft? And then games will be made exclusive to that. I think the funniest part of the console wars right now is how last generation everyone used to say oh, you need to upgrade your PC so often. And like my cpu and motherboard was bought in January 2011, so nearly 3 years before the xbox one came out, and console peasants are having to upgrade their console already and the core of my system is showing no signs of needing an upgrade more than 6 years later.

3 Likes

what concerns me is that they didn't replace the CPU component. I understand they have to keep costs down, but the thought of an 8-core Jaguar CPU just makes me weep.

It would be nice if the consoles could add in different setting controls for their games. Until recently those settings have been completely absent from the consoles and even now you might get an FOV slider on a couple very specific titles. What makes the PC experience better imo is not necessarily the graphical quality, but the fact that you have tons of options. if I want to run a AAA game on my piddly 7770, I can totally do that - I just have to turn the settings down. On the consoles, you get a single set of settings and framerate caps to run regardless of whether the console can run the game well or not. You're completely beholden to multiple companies to offer a decent experience who have no incentive to make it better.

1 Like

Technically that's what they're doing. Essentially at this point they're just overclocking the CPU and upgrading the GPU.

@KemoKa73 that's probably mostly due to the container environment. The games on consoles are created to run on specific hardware as well as possible where as PC games are designed to run on a multitude of platforms as variably as possible. The former should theoretically be better... but it's far and long inferior. We may see the meshing of that soon though.

Honestly, this level of wastefulness should be illegal and internal upgradeability should be enforced by law.
There's a limit to how much material we can economically get out of recycling old electronics, and it's not improving that much with time. Hopefully we can stop being stupid with unoptimized and inefficient products before we have to go to the asteroid belt in order to get decent quality materials.

1 Like

I want to see what the price tag of the consoles will actually be, because if it's over $600, I'm going to have a field day putting together a PCPP list to kill the new consoles.

2 Likes

i honestly would be shocked if it was over $500