Xbone Scorpio actually seems impressive

I've used a Beowulf cluster long ago. That's now ancient tech, but at the time it was great lol.

Right now, I'm stocking up on ARM based server infrastructure since almost 3 years. It's amazing. The periphery is a bit more expensive, but over here in Europe, electricity is really expensive, and with prices of Intel Xeons being so high for their performance, there is a lot to be said for non-x86 server infrastructure. ARM server infrastructure is basically infinitely scalable. Now I'm stocking up on Cavium, used to be on Samsung. Might use Gene-X at some point in time also because curious, but the price is a bit high to just satisfy curiosity lol, it's still about 10k per installed unit, but it's cheaper than Intel, and my old AMD servers are still running, but they use a lot of electricity, so I'm having them run sponsored applications, when everything is paid for. The ARM server cluster barely uses any electricity when it idles, and that REALLY reflects in the cost of energy, not only the electricity bill for the servers themselves, but also in terms of HVAC for instance. Totally worth it. Also, there is definitely less breakage due to the simplicity of ARM systems.

1 Like

I think it would be neat if somebody made an OS for computer clusters instead of assuming of a single main computer with a main processor. Have a main computer and abstract the connections to each computer as just threads for the OS.

More importantly if it already exists it could run games to see what kind of strange things people could come up with.

It ain't gonna be cheap. I have heard prices, but I won't spread rumors. XBox Scorpio does look awesome but I also read that if you don't have a 4K TV there is no reason to replace your Xbone.

Speaking via Mexican website levelup.com, Spencer said that it'd be a "premium" console and that "we have not announced the pricing yet, but want to make sure that the investment we are making in the product of Scorpio goes hand in hand with the requirement of high-end consumers. And that means a higher price".

PCpartpicker FTW.

Any *nix is exactly that. You can rip out a board on a running system and the system will just continue to run. You can plug in a board or several boards and the system will just incorporate the hardware immediately. OpenMP, OpenCL, etc... are standard API's supported on *nix systems, and there is no artificial limitating to hardware scaling like on Windows Server, you can keep stacking those boards. The tricky part is job distribution, finetuning the workload. But that's true on any scaled system. There are plenty of tools available on *nix systems for that though. Windows is the only exception to the rule of free hardware scaling that I know of. All other operating systems are made for any deployment, distributed or otherwise.

1 Like

I will have to look into that, when I first came to my uni I thought I would study machine learning/ AI stuff but there is something about concurrent systems and algorithms that interest me a lot. This summer I might have to pursue some self studying in this field more.

Because again there is no software that can run* on it

And the software that is there is worthless

If you're worried about privacy don't browse the internet. (which you can do on a console)

More nonsensical peasant arguments

And yes we would all acknowledge buying a console for your child is not the same as buying one for yourself.

There really aren't two sides. People who say taht are just trying to say that to cover up for the peasants.

@Zoltan Have fun with the troll brother. I'm ready to read the novel you're about to write out.

3 Likes

Nope, not worth it. Have decided to only help polite people from now on lol

5 Likes

Yea you have all this knoweldge to impart about video games

/s

I think you guys are imagining this discussion is about something it's not, lol

What delusion are you all under where your irrelevant knowledge leads to expertise in best habits for purchasing video games and the hardware to play them? lol

To know anything about it you'd have to know about video games

edit - and no if you're buying an xbox you don't know shit about video games unless you ahve the other consoles, lol

Totally ignorant people talking big, playing video games requires very little technical knowledge. Picking out a console/platform requires knowledge of software.

Which clearly you peasant supporters lack

Totally out of your element, clearly

The official line from MS was the Scorpio will be priced in line with previous consoles.

You let me down Zoltan.

@Dr.Venkman that's right, but then again like he said, they said it'd be a premium. I'm still gonna speculate 500 bucks though.

2 Likes

I think that was more in regard to the swing in performance between MS and Sony. The PS4 pro is no longer the premium console. Although I'm sure the PS5 can't be too far behind the Scorpio and I think MS will have that in mind.

Probably right. I've been -really- wanting to buy a PS4/pro for a couple of games, namely kingdom hearts, but I can't pull the trigger since I don't know anyone with one, so if the Scorpio comes out at 500 I'll probably go ahead and pick it up and ditch the idea of getting the PS4 pro for now.

I wonder if Sony is going to cut out the generational thing as well and just release "Playstation" and have different SKUs for different power capabilities.

Regarding console gaming being more useful in a social context. Unfortunately i think Microsoft and Sony have moved away from that and Nintendo consoles are the only console that continues to do that. When was the last major local 4 player CO OP game made by Microsoft or Sony? It seems like local multiplayer games are exclusive to Nintendo or small indie studios. I don't think you can any longer claim that Microsoft and Sony are "social" consoles. With the large range of indie developers on steam with you could even argue that PC is more social than Sony or Microsoft consoles.

I think gaming on a console in front of a TV is much more social than PC. I couldn't imagine having some friends around and playing a game on a PC unless the PC was setup as a console.

what do you mean "unless the pc was setup as a console"?

Under a TV in my living room using Xbox controllers.

ah, well, thats pretty easy to do with a PC. A friend of mine just takes his older hardware and its it in a wooden case we built, and has that in his living room connected to the tv. Local Co Op games usually aren't very intensive on hardware. At my place, i just use a steam link, and can effortless play PC games in the living room using the PC from my bedroom.

Yeah an under the TV console-ish PC is something I'm considering with a 55" freesync Wasbi Mango monitor. It's just the cost of adding the 4K gaming capability to a windows PC is stupid right now even with what Ryzen and AM4 offer.

i wish the scorpio was using a 12 threaded or 16 threaded cpu. Probably not going to see most games optimized for more than 8 threads without consoles having more than 8 threads.