Xbone Scorpio actually seems impressive

I'm still not sure what this thread is on about.

Facts: We don't know how much the Scorpio costs. We don't know how easy it is to Forza 7 at 4k. Therefore price to performance is still unknown.

Speculation is fine, but arguing over unknown variables is a fool's errand.

It's a console so it must be dismissed immediately.

It wont be long now until the next consoles are literally just PC's running Windows or some other desktop equivalent X86 OS.

Having the dominant gaming platform force developers to write for 8 weak cores means my 8320e will last till Ryzen 2 or Ryzen 3.

1 Like

Impressive for a console, yes. But i don't think it will be doing native 4K with any decent detail or with out the use of the checkerboard method.

I also want to know the price, because anything over 500 will be to much.

Games like Forza where the developers actually bother to optimize things correctly will see 4k@60. But we know that allot of developers just can't be fked doing that so will offer some sort of butchered resolution compromise... At least for the first couple years until they finally cave in and give a damn about threading their games probably along with optimized code....

So first party games will look fantastic and a select few 3rd party will look decent? Par for the course I'd say.

Yes, I was surprised with the PS4 and XB1 with developers opting for 900p resolutions in their games.. I can't believe those consoles didn't see 1080p as a standard for games...

Right. It seems like they fixed the issue with that in the PS4 pro, for now, and the Xbone, at least if the hardware based DX12 works out, it should remove all hardware related bottlenecks. Then again even on PC many games just suck in optimization.... seems like developers just suck lately.

I think the XB1 uses a custom based DX12 API tailored for that specific hardware, most consoles have a tailored API, its just with DX12 its become closer to what PC has. The PS4 can use Vulkan API but they have their own SonyAPI as well, same with the switch.

For example, Skyrim Switch edition uses Vulkan!

I think that's why the switch is able to do more than we may perceive at the moment, they may have made the vulcan API work as close to the metal as possible and that optimization makes the games run on the lesser hardware. I'm kinda thinking that with the Scorpio was well. I'm no authority in any of this, but in the video in the OP the guy says it only takes 11 CPU cycles from API to hardware, versus several thousand now. That could lead to some insane performance increases that we may never get on a PC due to the variable hardware environments.

Don't you find it odd that there is only a single screen shot of this well optimized Forza? Makes me think that the demo was not true 4k like to the PS Pro demos.

Not very impressive specs

And is going to have almost no exclusive software

I can't imagine why any one of us would buy this for themselves unless it was to connect with peasant friends on a single platform.

A) The PS4 will have way more exclusive software. Including some of the nicer remasters out there that will be exclusive to sony. I'm not aware of any usable PS3 or PS4 emulators. The xbox has none of those advantages to a PC user.

B) Even if they were going to keep new Halo and Gears of War exclusive to xbox in 2017, would you really care? There is no software* of substance worth buying the console for.

C) When you consider the cost of software and peripherals you might as well get rid of the idea console gaming is going to be cheaper or anywhere near the same value.

Such a ridiculous cop out to say no one knows. We know plenty, terrible buy. Especially for those of us here

Stahp with the peasant delusion.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the spec at all.

I would imagine a 480 level gpu running close to the metal will be able to punch well above the pc 480 weight (unless said pc version is not similarly optimized of course.. and from experience we know that is more often not optimized) and I would think it would also take a lot less cpu grunt to get there.. so the frequency boost alone across all cores should give it a good boost.

WIll you see a boost in shitty engines like fallout's? no, although hopefully with bethesda getting aboard the amd train that will hopefully change.

As with any of the current consoles native 4k seems like a stretch to me but I am willing to be shown different.

What interests me more is that in the digital foundry video it alludes to dx12 specific hardware changes which greatly increased efficiency but there is very little details on that.

Why would you care how a system runs fallout when you own a PC?

You're missing the point.

To a PC user the xbox is now 100% useless, not that it was ever* sane to own one. They've always had terrible exclusives every generation relative to Sony and Nintendo. It's a terrible buy

I think we see different things when we look at the consoles

You see a platform that only has merits in its title exclusives, and without such exclusives it no longer then serves a purpose.

I see the consoles as a chance for people to see what standard x86 hardware is like without the incumbent inneficiences of the os + api..

Granted we have seen a lot of crap (which I consider training wheels for people using the 'new' *snicker* hardware) but we are starting to see good examples of what a cpu the level of a q6600 in terms of computing power and a gpu the level of a 7850 can actually do when the software is written properly.

Long term, strong reliance on IPC is a trap that the pc needs to get out of

1 Like

Other people in this thread have been implying they might buy it because it will be valuable to people like us.

That's very different than saying "i can understand why my nephew would want this when he has to ask his parents to fund his hobby and justify it to them"

Yes I could see buying this as a gift, but never in my house.

The only way I could see myself buying this is if, because of the optimized nature devs can make it due to static hardware, it plays 4k better than my 1070 can, and if I can stream 4k over the LAN to some NUC unit I have connected to the 4k monitor I'd want to play on.

Edit: That said, if this bring the unification of PC/Xbox closer to the PC side we'll get better PC games or PC game ports. Nothing bad about htat.

I guess I'm different than a lot on here as I'm looking forward to this system. PC gaming has burned me far too many times over the years. From steams launch(which was horrible along with half life 2 where you could pirate it and play hours into the game in the time it took to decrypt the retail version), games like battlefield 1942(which had a demo that works great and the retail game was broken for a solid month), starforce and the cluster fuck that was, etc. I remember dealing with games that wouldn't install because I had imaging tools on my machine. Don't get me wrong, I know it has gotten better, I just don't care anymore. Now even on consoles huge zero day patches are the norm(used to be this wasn't a problem on consoles).

I think pretty much all of my computers right now have intel graphics in them. I prefer small laptops(I have a surface pro 4 and a dell xps developer system). I'm using an upgraded mac mini as a desktop as I need to support them and since the last few versions have sucked I might build a pc again. If I do it will have a graphics card in it. Either way the intel graphics I have in everything now means my gaming options are more limited.

It is worth saying that most of the people I play games with on the xbox are IT people like me. I play with a few system admins, a couple of network guys, a few cisco engineers, etc. A bunch of them don't even have a personal desktop at home, just laptops. None of us want to screw around with a gaming computer at home, we just want something that works. We all had xbox 360's because of the voice chats and went to the xbox one. I have to say I personally love the system. With the tv pass through I can tell if a friend is sitting in front of their console and shoot them a message asking if they want to play a game. Its nice.

At the end of the day I just want to relax and play a game either alone or with some friends. The consoles make this easy. I don't have to worry about the drm(which is weird to say as they are loaded with it), system requirements other than enough disk space, driver revisions, etc. Also for multi player games I don't have to worry about cheating anywhere near as much as this one is huge. You have people exploiting the games sure but call of duty is the only one where it was fully wrecked on the consoles. On the PC cheating software is way too common on some games. I know this has gotten better too but as a console gamer I don't really deal with it.

1 Like