X570 GPU off Chipset

So Im woring on upgrading my home server, and I was going to add some GPUs to it this time around for fun mostly

Bios 3.9 (latest)
CPU 5950x (shouldnt matter)

X570 Creator PCie slot layout
Plan was
PCIE 1= LSI 9500 16i
Pcie 2 = GT730 Gpu (1x GPU)
Pcie 3 = 2.5g NIC
Pcie 4 = LSI 9400 16i
Pcie5 = empty
Pcie6 = Quadro P1000

Issue is system wont boot if the GPU is no in slot 1 or 4 , is this a common x570 issue/ has anyone seen this before?

My MSI X570 Tomahawk have a BIOS option that allows the board to POST without a GPU installed

If you have that option that would be your fix, else you might be shit outta luck.

I looked up the manual, but found a board different to yours…
Check the manual to see how the PCIe lanes are divided - some will be from the CPU and some from the x570 chipset.

Yo are using 31 lanes in total, and depending on how it is configured there may not be enough lanes - M.2 and SATA use some lanes as well. Typically, I would expect 1, 4 and 6 to end up as x8, x8, x4 but you may need to adjust the BIOS. Some combinations may even totally disable slots.

Nope 16i HBAs are only 8 lane cards physically. the GT730 is 1x, the P1000 is a 16x card but isnt even the primary display

The lanes are correct and there is no stipulation besides disabling the TB feature (Which i did)

Zero installed

1 Device and not conflicting as the they are not shared.

That is correct

I think I understand better - sounds like your prioritising HBAs, the 730 is just for display and the P1000 for transcoding. I’m not sure I can add much more, but I did take a quick look around the web - there seem to be some posts elsewhere that users cannot use GPU on the chipset (not CPU) - so PCIe2 would not work, but I didn’t find anything about a third CPU PCIe slot…

If my assumption above is correct, have you tried removing the 730 and using the P1000 as the (primary) display? Alternatively can you get away with one HBA running at x4?

And I did note that the manual has an * by PCIe6 in various places, but I didn’t find the associated note - is there something buried in the manual that may clarify things I wonder???

I´m not sure if Nvidia still has that limitation that their cards need at least x8 lanes?
Given that slot 1 and 4 are x16 / x8 slots.
I thought that there was a limitation of some sorts but that could also had to with Sli rather.
So i could be mistaken about that doe.

I pulled the quadro out of the last slot and just tried to boot with the x1 card in a 1x slot and it was a no go

Hmm that is kinda interesting.

A bit more awake now…how about the 730 in PCIe6? (no P1000). It would also be interesting to try the P1000 in the x1 slot with an adapter if you have one (thinking of @MisteryAngel post)

I believe same thing I can test tonight if I have time. Issue is that is a 1x card so its super wasted.

Dont have an adapter for the 1x slot

Yeah well i might be confused with the sli requirements.
I believe those where at least 8x requirements for that to work.

@mutation666 I think that those Lsi cards would potentially bottleneck at 4x would they?

Yep I got the 9500 due to being pcie 4.0 vs 3.0 as I already have a 16 and 8i 9400 in my old server.

15 SAS SSDs + other stuff = need both cards to not have any bottlenecks on the hardware side (probably wont need all of both of them but rather remove any since its a big SSD array, will have some U.2 SSDs on it as well)

1 Like

Maybe you could try to manually set the bottom pci-e slot to gen3 mode in bios.
i´m not sure if that is possible on the Asrock bios doe.
But i can kinda remember that there has been a similar topic on the forum,
about running a gpu from the bottom slot not working.
But that was on a different motherboard if i can remember right the Asus pro X570 WS ACE.

@aBav.Normie-Pleb i believe it was you wasn´t it?

I am pretty sure I can set it, Ill give that a shot too

1 Like

probably it is booting you are just not getting the display info about BIOS and stuff because of the initialization process.

what OS is installed? turn this config on and just wait 5 minutes and then see if you can ping the PC.

if this has some hypervisor can you just live with out a dedicated display on the host?

There is no OS was fresh build.
Would get to Asrock Splash page saying F2/Delete for Bios F11 for boot options and freeze there with A9 code, sometimes code would pass (rarely) but still just freeze there. Tried no USB connected or drives etc

disable the wifi card and the extra sata controller, use only ports 1-4

obligatory disable CSM and enable above 4G decoding

1 Like

There was no sata connected during testing. Pretty sure I had CSM disabled, not 100% if i did above 4g decoding

move the quadro out of the 16x slot
and play around with the combination of 1x slots

Did mess with the 1x slots a bit pullled everything but 1x gpu at one point pretty sure (dont 100% quote me on that)