X570 GPU off Chipset

This is our combo

idk what the bios settings are but
16x
8x
4x

your dedicated CPU m.2 is being wasted, maybe get a riser for it if you aren’t going to use a m.2 ssd

1 Like

The plan is to get 2 of the m.2 to u.2 like you posted. Then run that to my Icydock and then run other two slots of the 9400 16i like they are currently

I have one of them but the icydock is currenty in use and i dont even have the chassis yet

I am leaving no pcie wasted

They ironically shipped me the top one and not the bottom one on my order so i have extra options now.

Edit: Shit, read X570 CREATOR and thought it was the ASUS ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI I have experience with.

Maybe MSI’s options are similar?

I’ve been currently running an 5950X/ASUS ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI with a Quadro P2000 in in the chipset PCIe slot to have the two main CPU PCIe slots available for NVMe bifurcation/PCIe Switch experiments.

Works fine.

Notes:

• Previous BIOS version 0904 (first one with AGESA 1208) was bugged, replaced with 1002

• Don’t update the BIOS via UEFI flash tool, use USB flashback

Changed BIOS settings, pics taken from an ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE but the relevant options are the same options as the ProArt’s, only the color scheme is a bit different:

1 Like

The ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE unit from the user in that thread had been defective, that was the source of the issues there.

Same well 2 Tri mode HBAs so basically that

If you get your setup with the two Broadcom HBAs to run, could you do me a favor and check if you can send the system to sleep mode (S3), wait a little, wake it up again and check if it still functions normally?

I have similar HBAs and after S3 they crash the system either a short while after waking it up or when you then try to properly reboot or shut down the system (S5), in Windows you’ll be greeted with a BSoD (something like Driver Power State Change Failure)

Will probably be a bit as I need to get the case still (hopefully ship this week or next) then get everything set up on new sever (Migrate data etc). I have 1 9500 16i 1 9400 16i and 1 9400 8i. Any specific combo you want tested? (Current 9400 16i / 9400 8i with Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T running proxmox right now 3900 cpu)

Mobos on Hand
Asrock X570 Taichi,
ASUS ROG Strix X370-F
Asrock X570 Creator
Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T
Asrock AB350m

CPU 3900/3600/5600G/3900/5950/5800

1 Like

I’ve experienced the very same issues with these Broadcom HBAs:

• 9400-8i8e (should be the same as the 9400-16i)
  • 9500-16i
  • P411W-32P PCIe Switch

Doesn’t matter if drives are attached. Broadcom “can’t replicate the issues in their lab” but I personally haven’t seen a system where the issues don’t happen.

Do want

Also note my HBA are not legit broadcom models

Not if you want a workstation that goes to sleep to save power/avoid heat in the summer :wink:

Eh I just let it run in the basement its naturally cool all year round.

It hurt paying $500 for a HBA

I run it with an Icy Dock 4 x U.2 NVMe backplane to be able to easily swap projects’ U.2 NVMe drives, wouldn’t want to do without any more and opening up the case, remove the drives from something like a Delock 90091 is a pain-in-the-butt.

I got the OG Icydock cant connect it to my 9500 sadly

Works with the P411W-32P though :slight_smile:

1 Like

My poor wallet does not want

@GigaBusterEXE clearing cmos probably dropped some of my configs disabled cms / enabled 4g / resizable bar and it booted fine

It’s not the dns/it’s always the DNS situation

2 Likes

Now I just need some more parts to show up, mainly the chassis

Drives all there off the new hba, always good still needs some additions / changes
Basic 3 fan is keeping them cool so thats good to know.

Not sure my ideal cables are going to work, but we shall see when they show up.

Is it worth bothering to upgrade to latest firmware for the LSI cards?

Still need to free up a card from the old system to set up the test.

Let’s just say Broadcom has “room for improvement” regarding their firmware quality. I don’t get why they are constantly being recommended, I guess it’s just thanks to tradition and a feedback loop - zero issues with a 93xx controller that was still LSI from around ten years ago.

1 Like