Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

The Elder Scrolls Online has been :ok_hand:

Desktop minimized once, but I believe weird crap like that happened on other platforms as well.

If the Lutris installer isn’t using a WINE build from the stone ages ESync is enabled by default and shouldn’t normally be disabled manually.

There’s not really much you can do really except for a Vulkan based layer, but since you said your GPU is too old this isn’t an option.
Without Vulkan you’re typically just CPU bound because DX -> OGL is a massive overhead, there’s not all that much you can do.
On some Desktop Environments you might want to play around with the compositor settings, some games and DEs work better with compositing enabled, and some disabled…
You can always drop in on the Lutris Discord though, lot of people there that may have some hints.

Either way - this thread is supposed to be for Proton testing, Lutris doesn’t use plain Proton tho :wink:

/edit
Actually, why are you running the Windows Version in the first place? XCOM:EU has a native Linux port. Or are you running the GOG Version? Apparently that one doesn’t :confused:

Proton 4.11-3 was just released with updated D**bleep**VK. It finally renders fog and haze properly in Turbo Dismount, and Goat Simulator now launches with D**bleep**VK.

Goat Simulator’s native port had TERRIBLE performance issues which were down to the OpenGL renderer not being able to handle everything the game threw at it. D**bleep**VK solves those issues once you turn it on with the Environment Variable in the launch options. Though it runs out of virtual memory more often, as the native version doesn’t run out of memory… and the Payday DLC for Goat Simulator just crashes whenever you try to load it.

This means almost every single game works that I wish to play in my library on Linux, except for Crash Bandicoot NST (Un-Bearable glitch) and UE4 and Unity games that use Windows Media Foundation.

I’ve been playing the red alert 3 demo with steam play… I think I might buy it

Well, apparently the new 4.11-3 stubs out all Xbox controller emulation support on some systems and I have no clue how to get it back because there isn’t any documentation on it, basically having Valve decide for you what’s best…

How and why?!? I know they’re now doing “Direct” gamepad support but completely breaking the Dualshock 3 is uncalled for.

Edit: Found part of the problem. The recommended procedure to get a Dualshock 3 working in the Linux RPCS3 BREAKS Proton trying to pass inputs from the Dualshock 3 controller to Proton. https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Help:Controller_Configuration

Bear in mind EA shut down the online servers. So if you want to play online you need to install some additional program to get you onto community servers but that might be windows only.

1 Like

Seems the Dualshock 4 over bluetooth is also affected by 4.11-3’s changes. Someone from Valve was able to reproduce the error so it isn’t related to the RPCS3 configured /etc/udev/rules.d.

looks like I’ll have to hold off on using that for a couple of games, not too upset though considering the games I use the Dualshock for already run perfectly on earlier versions of proton.

Thanks. In the meantime I have discovered a bit more about how it works but I don’t understand all the runner-options yet. Esync indeed is enabled by default.
I am actually running the GOG version of XCOM:EU :wink: , I like my games DRM-free and I didn’t know that this game does have a native Linux version for Steam but not for GOG. It should be a shortlasting problem, as soon as the supply-issues for the 5700 XT cards are solved and the price-gouging is gone I will buy a 5700 XT and I can use Vulkan.

A proton related question for anyone who would be so kind to help me with this? I discovered the program steamcmd from Valve which allows you to install the Windows-version of a game on Linux (Proton). Some games have a bad performance with the native Linux version, like Borderlands 2. I don’t quite understand how to use steamcmd though. When you install it you can run it from any path and you get a “>” which symbolizes the command prompt.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#Cross-Platform_Installation
Valve says that you could use either

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login anonymous +force_install_dir …/csgo_ds +app_update 740 validate +quit

or

@ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1
@NoPromptForPassword 1
@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows
login anonymous
force_install_dir …/csgo_ds
app_update 740 validate
quit

But how do you know which name you should use instead of “csgo_ds” for whatever program you would like to install? If there already is a thread/tutorial on this then I would be happy with a link to that. By the way, it is ironic that Valve uses this game as an example while this game runs slightly better on Linux (LTT review of the 3700X) than on Windows.

Not quite sure what this is for tbh. You really just need to enable SteamPlay for all games in the steam settings and go to town.
I think SteamCMD is just meant to developers to integrate into steam.

Because that is not the game, it’s the server software.
Also from what I read this isn’t meant to run the games on a different platform, it’s just to download them for a different platform to do something else with it.
For example if you have some Windows VMs running on top of Linux you could use this to download the setup files on the host machine and then put that file into a shared directory with the VMs so they can access it. So instead of downloading it multiple times for each VM you would only download it once for that host.

Spyro: Reignited Trilogy is yet another victim of Media Foundation DLLs being missing.

This is becoming a serious problem. Even though Wine is making headway for the “framework” portion of the Media Foundation fixes, nothing is being done on Wine’s side to make sure it works OOTB, because by default it doesn’t, thanks to patent encumbered codecs.

Here’s the ongoing issue about it once again:

Doesn’t wmv playback need ffmepg or something which has a very restrictive license preventing valve from including it. (its why all bethesda games have broken video and audio).

Wish there was a solution, but the law says no. :frowning:

The solution is there, but Valve can’t implement it because of MPEG-LA and Microsoft patents.

This will be the one thorn in the side of Proton for YEARS to come.

Custom proton solves this easily

Speaking of that, I fixed Media Foundation on the latest Proton-GE. It’s in my other thread.

Custom anything will solve most problems, the issue is these sorts of problems will block most people (casuals or basic gamers) from using Linux, which means Linux will remain at the below %1 userbase for many years to come, which means developers will continue to laugh at Linux.

There is only one thing I wish Linux could do good and that is VRR, it needs dedicated fullscreen mode most times, can’t take custom freesync timings (flickers), and can’t be used with fscompositing (nvidia) nor more then 1 display… such a pain and disappointment.

VRR (freesync etc) Is so flexible under Windows, it will enable under almost ANY condition, but under Linux you gotta stand on your head and touch you nose while bouncing up and down!

I’ve long known multi-monitor on Nvidia just doesn’t work on Linux, so for me Freesync engages with KDE’s compositor off.

Interestingly, games with hidden CEF renderers glitch out when compositing isn’t turned on, so that’s yet another frustration I encountered.

I don’t have any issues with it. What specifically are you having trouble with?

Compositor tearing, blanking, bad association with certain games, Xserver crashes, Freesync turning off in multi-monitor, ZERO multi-GPU multi monitor support (all monitors have to be attached to the same GPU) and OBS freaks out in multi monitor.

Way too many issues to count, so I moved to a singular 4K monitor and it’s been a far better experience.

I never had any of those. The only thing I know of is the multi-GPU multi-Monitor thing, that’s an X11 limitation from what I read.