Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Had all these issues on both Cinnamon and KDE. The flickering and blanking on Cinnamon was driving me insane. The incorrect primary monitor association with games also drove me insane, with tearing and stuttering issues cropping up on KDE as soon as you go multi monitor, even with the fixes.

VRR / Gsync doesn’t work with Multi monitor setup, you must disable others. Also from what I can tell the nvidia drivers don’t tolerate custom EDID with different VRR/freesync ranges (all of this works flawless under windows btw).

I’m not sure if all this can be fixed with Wayland or not but apparently that is the only hope for Linux getting better freesync and gsync support and flexibility. My monitors freesync range is 48-65hz which is not overly useful, I typically set it to 35-60hz and have no issues under Windows.

Fullscreen compositing does a decent job at smoothing things out a bit. There are some things linux does wonderfully such as having games not interfere with the desktop and running in a virtual fullscreen window, quite nice. (its not borderless mode)

Rust used to work with steam play…

Then they decided to support linux and made the game native.

Well they just ended support for rust (native) and steam play no longer works because they are requiring an anticheat software.

1 Like

doesn’t that depend on the server you’re on? Or am I confusing that with another game :thinking:

Theres a rumor of like 3 servers that linux users can connect to … but I can even connect to my LAN server because it kicks me off or failing to auth to anticheat

Mh bummer… some of those survival games had that same issue but it was server dependant. There’s just too many of them, I can’t remember which it was :man_shrugging:

Sounds like what happened to War Thunder. EAC means many multiplayer titles don’t work with Proton at all.

1 Like

Heads up for those tracking Media Foundation…

The z0z0z mf-install script was recently updated for better compatibility with Unreal Engine 4 games by adding mfplay.dll and colorcnv.dll. This finally allows UE4 games with blank intro splash screens to play. These were just added in the last 2 days.

The thing that still isn’t solved is video quality selection in Unity games like PC Building Simulator, where the videos don’t play unless you set the quality to “Ultra”.

Played a fair bit of Deep Space Galactic’ last night, runs pretty well. At 4k on high (fsaa set to low) I was getting 40-50fps, so I switched to 1800p and got 60-70fps which is quite good and hardly noticeable downgrade, I do this for many games under Linux atm as to combat the %10-20 performance loss/tax proton demands.

However there was a small issue, microphone input does not work anymore for this game. A bit weird. I might test it on older versions of proton to see if it suddenly works.

I played a LOT of Breathedge on Proton 4.15-GE-4 last night (with my own mf_install patches) and it worked great, but at 4K you need to lower the draw distance now in order to maintain good frame rates. The map size increased significantly.