Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Kind of a legal grey area, but someone has hosted a install script for Media Foundation that actually sorta works. (By sorta, I mean, will work 50% of the time, but is good enough to get past unskippable cinematics in Unity and Unreal Engine games)

3DMark benchmark videos work at Ultra quality and higher in PC Building Simulator with this installed, and Breathedge can finally play pre-rendered cinematics, minus the game startup Unreal engine splash screen.

If ever there was a good band aid, this is it.

1 Like

I can comfirm overwatch runs fine with proton via lutris

For anyone who cares War Thunder now runs under steamplay with 4.2-3 Proton, this is the windows64 directx11 client and the launcher will run then you press play game.

Couple things to note.

1. Don’t try to move the launcher around, its a bit unstable and can teleport offscreen etc…
  2. Reshade4 (have not tested others) dxgi dll injection does not work with this game under steamplay at present (unknown reason), if you want reshade then use Lutris, but be sure to disable esync/winesync (reshade may conflict with this somehow).

Reasons to use win64 client:
The linux War Thunder client is terrible performance, some people have success with the under development vulkan api (config edit/direct launch) but most get crashes.

My personal settings is TAA HIGH with reshade421 lumasharpen, looks great. The in-game TPS sharpening postfx filter is beyond broken, it causes black blotch artifacting around objects!!!

Roguelike and indie list:

working:

Isaac rebirth/afterbirth
dead cells (but it has native on gog so idk why youd do this)
castle crashers
pit people
gungeon
Rogue legacy
isaac original
audiosurf 2 (important because native seems broken)
thumper
nidhogg (important because native seems broken)

nonworking

necrodancer (audio issues, luckily also has native tho)
dbfz (gets to titles and hangs)
donut county

Upcoming

Hades (epic exclusive rn but looks awesome)

tested on centos 7.4, nvidia drivers, skylake cpu

1 Like

I tested drive gal*gun double peace on ubuntu 19.04

1 Like

So, good news for people playing Subnautica Below Zero on Freesync Monitors: Engaging Vsync now has proper frame pacing when combined with Freesync on DXVK 1.1.1.

There’s a minor performance improvement in Breathedge, but it’s still hampered by streaming assets bottlenecks.

Once DXVK 1.1.1 is added to Proton 4.2, if you’re on the latest Mesa or Nvidia Vulkan driver, expect improvements when VSync is turned on with Freesync also engaged.

Protip:

Don’t think you’re stuck with the version of DXVK that Proton is shipped with. You can update DXVK in Proton 4.2 like this:

From the release ZIP file:

The x32 folder contents go into ../steamapps/common/Proton 4.2/dist/lib/wine/dxvk

and

The x64 folder contents go into ../steamapps/common/Proton 4.2/dist/lib64/wine/dxvk

Overwrite when prompted.

You now have the latest DXVK ready for use with Proton 4.2. Do note that if Proton updates, you may have to repeat this procedure.

Do note that this only works for DXVK and not D9VK. D9VK requires genuine d3d9x and d3dcompiler DLLs from winetricks.

2 Likes

Heads up!

A Hat in Time updated, and because there is now netcode if you bought the new DLC, the game WILL NOT START if you enable the new DLC or are on the latest build. ProtonDB ratings are going down to “Borked” for the game as a result.

To fix this, go into the “Betas” tab of the properties for Hat in Time, and select the “pre_dlc2” beta.

Seems Valve needs to fix Proton to support netcode in Hat in Time.

I thought a Hat in Time had problems graphically like blank textures and low performance ? It’s one of the reasons i did not buy it to try on proton.

Yes, those exist because of WineD3D. If you do a manual D9VK + Wine TKG, it’s a LOT better, and the DLC actually runs with TKG Wine. Proton just hasn’t been updated to support Windows Steam Networking DLLs.

So, heads up if you use multiple DEs on one installation and plan to use Esync…

You may have to do BOTH the systemd method and the /etc/security/limits.conf Esync preparations because one DE might use limits.conf, while the other uses the systemd limit:

Its great except that it will suck in the long run. they need to get rid of 32 bit libraries on it and just have a compatibility layer otherwise like many other things that are still 32 bit library dependent it coul die

Anyone else having problems with Steam “forgetting” the compatibilitytools.d folder exists? and it messes up the download state of some Proton games?

Hello .

It’s been a while since I have been on this forum so I am not sure what you have been testing on here.

Is anyone testing this out?

I have asked people on the AMD Community Forum to test it out but there has not been much interest in testing Steam Play on there from anyone else versus the work done on this forum.

More information here: https://community.amd.com/message/2919350

Thanks.

hasn’t been a problem for me yet, I use Proton 4.10-GE for a couple of games and haven ran into any issues.

You know how Steam for Linux “forgets” your login sometimes? It happens around the same time that happens.

I have had that, but it hasn’t forgotten compatabilitytools.d

For me, it has. Completely forgetting it exists and resetting the download state, so that when you set it to proton-ge again after restarting Steam, it re-downloads the ENTIRE game.

thankfully I haven’t had to deal with that. Hope it doesn’t start happening

I just played the game XCom Enemy Unknown via Lutris (non-DXVK because my graphics cards is too old). It mostly works fine but you do obviously get some stutter (including sound) when assets are loaded. I haven’t messed around yet with ESync and Wine-settings because I am a complete n00b with playing games this way. Starcraft2 worked great except that the store page in the game (co-op missions which you can buy) didn’t show any pictures in the frames. In the game I didn’t notice any problem. Can any of you refer me to a good tutorial for getting a better performance when you use Wine via Lutris?