Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

So, I found out the issue with Cinnamon. The issue SPECIFICALLY is to do with WINE freaking out in full-screen mode when a game (Both DXVK and wined3d) in WINE/Proton goes full screen. Windowed mode seems fine, but full-screen is all sorts of messed up.

They are no closer to a resolution, so if you game in full screen a lot, switch to KDE if you plan to also stream/record at the same time. This is going to go unsolved for a VERY long time.

Edit: They attempted a patch to Muffin in Muffin 4.0.6 but that did not solve the Xcomposite issue with OBS, nor did it solve the FreeSync issues.

Bad news PUBG fansā€¦ Looks like PUBG will never work on Steam Play.

So I was fed up with the absolutely terrible performance of Civilization VI on Linux because the D3D11 CPU bottleneck - I am able to get as far as selecting DX11 vs DX12 but then it just dies. If I try to add as a non-steam game a direct line to the DX12 executable, I get 10 ā€œFile not foundā€ popups.
Am I 100% wasting my time? Iā€™m not opposed to giving up if thatā€™s the consensus.

Just want to add a note that Vampyr renders perfectly within Steam Play. Unfortunately thereā€™s a substantial performance hit, and the controls (at least with mouse + keyboard) are ā€¦ twitchy I guess would be the best way to describe it, even with the mouse sensitivity turned way down.

There is an option to force it to install the windows version in proton rather than the native version in steam now. Go into settings/properties for the game and choose select ā€œforce compatability toolā€ or something. You will have to reinstall the game for that to work though. Not sure how well Civ VI works through proton though.

Can anyone help getting Ring Runner: Flight of the sages to work?

Linux mint 19.1

https://www.protondb.com/app/258010

Proton (non-beta) 4.2 is now out with DXVK 1.0.1.

Report regressions, if there are any, wait for Proton 4.2 Beta before moving forward.

1 Like

This is awesome!

Anyone try DDO yet?
Getting upset trying to get it to work with Playonlinuxā€¦

@ECA have you tried to install DDO with a Lutris script? I noticed today someone has posted a Lutris script that is about 2 weeks old.
I have posted a link directly to the script page.

Bloons TD 6 Works with PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
but when i click the ā€œiā€™ve played beforeā€ button the game crashes.
So i cant load my save from other computers/ OS. Anyone tried it yet ?

Yo would this work with CADD Programs?

In theory yes. But youā€™d be more likely to just use wine rather than steam+proton.

1 Like

Proton is really just WINE + some game specific fixes, thereā€™s not really a reason to use it for CAD instead of WINE

Not so much of a Proton thing, but if you would like to bugtest DXVK release 1.1 for Philip, that would be appreciated.

The 1.1 release was pulled shortly after inital release, but you can still build it yourself under the master branch from git. It needs some serious bugtesting before it gets a release again so please help him out! The current issues are serious enough to cause GPU hangs, so if you can help, please do!

In case you lived under a rock Sekiro works great out-of-the-box.

1 Like

Iā€™ve purchased CDPRā€™s Thronebreaker a while ago and thought this might be a good game for my notebook (which runs Manjaro).

Unfortunately, Iā€™m unable to get it to work properly (yet). Iā€™ve followed the instruction mentioned on ProtonDB, but when I delete the mentioned folder several game assets are missing (e.g. all characters, the main character has a flying cape though, which is nice^^)

When I start the game without deleting the mentioned folder, the screen remains black.

Any successes here?

Anyone had any luck getting mod managers for Fallout and/or Skyrim to work? The only Iā€™ve managed to get working is Wrye Bash, and only kinda sorta. The one prefix per game structure of Proton is a real PITA when trying to get 3rd party programs running. I have gotten Wrye Bash working in a real WINE prefix, but so far havenā€™t attempted a Proton install.

ive gotten a old loot for skyrim but it broke the mod order so still need to get it working right but loot seems to run

Mod Organizer 1 will work. Iā€™ve used it to play Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. Iā€™ve also used the old Fallout Mod Manager with Fallout 3.