Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Thanks ;-).

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut works great. No issues seen.
Video recorded.

Few more games tested:

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster

Does not work. The game loads the Capcom logo then gives me a black screen.

Resident Evil HD Remaster

Same issue as RE0 Remaster.

Resident Evil 4 Remaster

This one partially works, but has some rendering issues in game.

First of all, the game hardlocks itself to 30fps, making it run at half speed. Pretty sure this game is meant to be played at a hard locked 60fps. Also, as you can see, the player model and many of the environmental objects have no lighting, making them black silhouettes.

Resident Evil 5

Remember when Games for Windows was a thing? Now it just prevents me from playing this game on Linux.

I do not own Resident Evil 6, because I heard it was terrible. I also have not purchased Resident Evil 7 yet either, which is the most current game i the series.

1 Like

Thief fails to start with this error.

Fatal Error failed to initialize Direct3D.

you should be able to just mod out the GFWL part and play it fine though im not sure on any specifics

There’s issues with the mouse in that game and if you’re in full screen, the mouse will just simply stop working in the pause menu until you alt-tab. Then when you alt-tab, the mouse can get confused and wildly spin the looking direction.

You’ll want to run that game in Windowed mode. Controller support is also the oddball in that it doesn’t work for that game.

1 Like

DOOM 2016.

Using 3.7-4 Beta and ensuring ‘Use this tool instead of game-specific selections from Steam’ is ticked, it runs fine.

few other games I’ve tried:

Grim Dawn - No problems
Red Faction Geurilla Re-Mars-tered - No problems
Subnautica - Invisible Pod & Hands. resolved with -force-opengl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Unsuccessful w/ mods, otherwise no problems.

1 Like

Thank you for that information. I appreciate it.
I have been testing all games in one of the Steam test libraries I have loaded.
I am trying to test games that work ‘out of the box’ with just the two options (“Enable Steam Play for” - Supported, All). First.
I wanted to get the videos of those “out of the box and working” titles completed first. That way we may get more people interested to join the Steam Plays Beta testing effort as soon as possible.

I am hoping that one of the established Youtubers might pick up and run with this Steam Announcement so that more people will get interested. Some have already got the message for sure. There is still lots of resistance to change from Windows to Linux, probably because of problems when people tried Linux many years ago, had bad experience, and still have that view of it.

The next step I will go back and try titles I have had specific problems with, and ask for advice from others here on this forum.

Thanks again.

Sure thing. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
I’ll continue to post my experiences w/ different games as well.

Retried running Dishonored 2 with (“Enable Steam Play for” - Supported, All) and with “Using 3.7-4 Beta and ensuring ‘Use this tool instead of game-specific selections from Steam’ is ticked”. Restarted Steam. Retried to launch. Dishonored 2. does seem to get further on in the launch process than before, last message I see is “syncing”. It then fails to launch.

Yeah, I could definitely do that. But these are just surface tests to see what works off the bat with no additional configurations. Still, once you get into a certain generation of Steam game release, the Games For Windows nonsense does become an issue.

DS4 works in my testing, played some tekken and didn’t get totally dicked on until that fucking 200 win Kazuya

Can’t recommend the opensource driver more highly. Easy peasy. Go find the padoka ppa though. You want the testing one that Valve linked to.

GAME TESTING

Monster Hunter World

It runs, at least in the tradeyard without any modifications to proton. performance is trash, at least on higher settings. Installed again will try again in PM. Wondering what happens when I try with that wine version Furryjackman was talking about.

2 Likes

The Lutris Wine Esync 3.14 has some threading enhancements compared to the Wine 3.7 that Valve is basing their upstream Wine off of. There’s potential that it could resolve performance issues.

1 Like

GTAV gets as far as the launcher screen. Then looks like this:
Screenshot%20from%202018-08-27%2012-06-14

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr

Blank grey screen after initial loading screen :frowning:

Older version of wine made it work steams 3.7 based breaks it

1 Like

:ballot_box_with_check: Skyrim SE

Works but dialogue audio is missing.

Found this thread about it.

Was enjoying testing and exploring proton since it’s release, but made the foolish mistake of upgrading LLVM for Mesa, without double checking :roll_eyes: 7.0 is in limbo, and svn is now 8.0 been too painful trying to solve, so I rolled back to 6.0 and just going to wait for package updates. (knowing me I’ll probably take another stab before then)

While testing I had the following non-whitelist games working flawlessly or near flawlessly:

• FINAL FANTASY XII: THE ZODIAC AGE
  • MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD (was running great besides buggy Spherical Harmonic effects causing everything in the hub (exclusively) to be super shiny.
  • Shadow Warrior 2 (Sad considering the promised port that never came)
  • DARK SOULS III
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Grim Dawn
  • RAGE
  • Sniper Elite 4 (and NZA games)
  • ELEX

(Wow hadn’t realized most japanese releases are all caps on steam :stuck_out_tongue: )

I noticed some command lines in here, wrote a bash helper script for winecfg, and working on a winetricks. the winecfg one is pretty much the same as dje4321’s (but takes AppID as an arg, and also automatically decides if wine64 or wine should be launched, probs pointless but for reassurance), Actually want to share it and open it up to community contribution (as I’m far from a BASH ubermensch) , very least get the ball rolling on having an easy way to get non-whitelist games upto par with Wines’ AppDB and Lutris.

As i really want to primary Proton, just to ensure the playtime/purchases are counted explicitly as Linux (confirmed by Valve to Liam Dawe over at GamingOnLinux). I actually only bought MH:W because a friend said it was running great under Steam Play.

And most games only need dlloverrides to fix sound issues (so winecfg is sufficient, using your native wine is a no-go, essentially destroys the proton registry files, might not break outright but it should definitely be avoided, thus the scripts) Skyrim SE Audio being a case in point, simply altering the xaudio_X_X dll override fixes it entirely.

Also DXVK dev told me the Mesa MGSV:TPP lighting/GI issue might see a fix soon: “On RADV it’s currently broken due to an LLVM bug. Should hopefully (!) get fixed in LLVM 7.0 soon.ï»żâ€ (MGSV:TPP seems to be working fine for NV users)

Civilization 1-4 tested and working no issue

Civ 5 Linux is fine
but trying with Windows saves copied over, loading any windows made saves do not work on the proton version of civ5 crashes on load the saves work fine on Linux version

Thank you.