Why do you use windows 8 or 10 (rant)

Windows is better for desktops and Linux is better for servers and people who like to dick around with the OS. I don't see that changing any time soon.

I'm gonna build a wall to keep your type out.

@emosun Go get a used Mac. Windows 7 won't be in support for much longer.

I love how nowhere do I mention linux , and everyone is trying as hard as they can to somehow work linux into the topic.

I am recommending OSX.

1 Like

I have to if i want AutoCAD, which i do. As much as i hate it, i HAVE to have it. Almost a gun to my head "HAVE WINDOWS OR ELSE!" It sucks but i need it.

How THE HELL do you DARE! Don't EVER recommend Apple! (jk (kinda..))

Well he doesn't like the other two Major OSs really leaves him with one option. Doubt he would like BSD or Solaris

Still.....
He is kinda picky though, nothings perfect.

It is easy to block Windows 10 crap at the firewall level. Windows 7 won't be viable for long.

I use 8.1 largely because it feels faster and smoother than 7. Also, I've had speed and connectivity issues with Private Internet Access VPN using Windows 7.

I recently found out you can get the classic Task Manager for Win 10 and 8.1.

8.1--> http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/35685/windows-8-bring-back-the-old-windows-7-style-task-manager/
10--> http://winaero.com/blog/get-classic-old-task-manager-in-windows-10/

Well, there's compatibility with pretty much every software out there, and all the games...

Honestly, it's just Microsoft being Microsoft. They have always been controlling of their own software. With Powershell, you can forcefully remove pretty much every problem that exists in the Windows Shell, in terms of infringing on your privacy. I'm sure of it.

Windows 7 will get security updates till 2020. Though mainstream support was dropped in January.

another Emosun post. another argumentative position that isn't conducive to an iota of healthy discussion. I have seen you talk about failing to run linux successfully, hating people who have more money than you, and not liking new cars.

All of these are valid viewpoints, and I stand by your right to post them. I also stand by my ability to notice patterns.
Chill out, mate. seriously.

1 Like

Still using 8.1. Had Windows 10 for ~30min on my laptop but when I saw that there's no option to disable/manually download and install updates I wiped my SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 8.1. The whole data-collection thing is annoying enough (especially when some sources like Barnacules mention that Windows resets the "do not spy" settings after reboot/updates) but forcing updates that potentially can break some programs....not cool. I hope that by the time Windows 8.1 is outdated Linux has caught up with easier driver- and much more software-support (don't want to jump through hoops by having to run the programs I need in a VM or mess around in the terminal to get certain drivers to run).

Using Windows 8.1 at home, I do not see any reason what so ever to upgrade to Windows 10. No thank you NSA.
At work I use Linux Mint as I do not need to run any games and I work in open source anyway.

I run multiple os's but I do use windows 10 for gaming. Barnacules has a great vid on locking it down but you do have to go back after updates and change everything which is annoying but unavoidable anymore sadly. I don't see ad's either though and if you set it up certain ways the push notifications can be helpful. Even though I already have my phone, my other computer, and my tablet all beep at me when something new gets posted on youtube or I receive an email.

PS And if your worried about being spied on realistically the only thing you can do at this point is to unplug entirely until we get these "individuals" out of office. I used individuals because you can just replace it with any wording you feel strong enough.

1 Like

I am currently dual booting with Windows 10 / Ubuntu 15.10

The problem with advertisements, is it's only going to get a lot worse.

I hadn't carried a phone for the last 5 years (out of spite), and then my girlfriend got me one. When I swipe down I see advertisements.

Through pure repetition I learned the phone number for Glenn Lerner the Injury attorney 702-877-1500 over 7 years ago before I cancelled by cable television.
I memorized the tune ba da ba ba baaaa, I'm lovin' it, before I got ad-block to watch youtube, and I refuse to white list anything no-matter how pure the intent it is.
Now, even when I go to pump gas, a blaring commercial plays from the pump.

Gary Vaynerchuck who owns a media marketing company and gives great advice on youtube, often says himself, "Marketers ruin everything."

As long as it makes tons of money, you will never be able to get away from it. Ad-block will eventually be neutralized. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the motherboard had an advertisement before it allowed you to load an OS. The video card may play an advertisement before it allows the display of anything. Your sound card plays a little jingle when the OS is loaded. The monitor plays a short clip when you power it on. The fan LED's flash a logo every few minutes. The hard drives blip a picture before you can access your data. Your Razer keyboard gives you advertisements...wait that happens.

There is no escaping it.

One of Vaynerchucks themes is, go to where the attention is. Wherever that is, you will find advertising.

The only ads that I got on Win 10 were for modern apps.

But they're not actual ads, because Microsoft is not being paid by app developers to display app ads, which is how advertising works.

Microsoft is actually trying to convince people to use the Windows Store and buy stuff from it, because Microsoft takes a cut from all purchases made on the Store.

And the ads are not even annoying, they're very small and don't get in your way.

If Win 10 gets full screen ads that get in your way, then I'll be pissed.

Yeah guys whats wrong with tiny targeted ads running inside the os?

remember how in windows 7 there was always a pepsi logo in the start menu? this isn't a new thing , even windows 95 had targeted ads that ran inside of the os and monitored all the system/personal files and key logged so it could sell you stuff from it's app store......