Why do you use windows 8 or 10 (rant)

If the ad doesn't get in your way, what is the actual problem caused by the ad ?
Also:

What I meant is that Microsoft is not trying to convince you to use a particular app, it's trying to get you to use the Store, it's advertising the Windows Store, not the app itself.
It's just that Microsoft can't put a big sign saying "please use the Store", it's more effective if you have an example of what you can get from the Store.

My Windows7 is not up-to-date. My machine has no idea NSA10 is a thing! Then there is a hardware firewall set to "ask user first".
I lock the bathroom door. I lock my computer.

I dual boot Linux and Windows 10. All I do in Windows 10 (for upcoming DX12 games) is open Steam to play titles not available in Linux. That is it. I don't even open a web browser. All other tasks are done in Linux.

Microsoft has turned a shit ton of people into MS junkies, they don't know anything else and it's nice and it's really hard to get off of it, so them making a shit ton of ad money is just another way the MS dealer takes all your money, while trying to get you hooked on something else to get more and more money.

Also to quote wendell, "we don't have any of that over here on linux."

I have been on Windows 10 since one of the earliest public tech previews and I have NEVER seen an ad on my computer sent from MS. And online I use adblock and ghostery to make sure of that(Yes I whitelist sites I like, such as TS).

I think there are too many people on either extreme the ones saying MS is only trying to spy on you are exaggerating the facts. On the flip side the people who say MS doesn't collect data are plain wrong. Like with most things the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, the OP needs to distinguish between ads being served to your OS (which I haven't seen once in Windows 10, though it's possible that I haven't seen any ads because I don't do anything in the MS Store), and MS collecting data on their users so that OTHERS can serve them ads. Don't get me wrong, collecting all of this telemetry data on users after strong-arming them to upgrade is ridiculous, but if we're going to complain about it at least be accurate in your complaints.

1 Like

Very well said.

2 Likes

im a graphics designer and am paid to use photoshop. so I need it on my laptop. My desktop runs linux

Because of reasons?
Its just a personaly thing.
Every OS has its pro´s and con´s

Hate everything
Go BSD lol or solaris

In all seriousness I use everyone of them because of the tools I sometimes need

I'm still on Windows 7 because all I want is an OS, no funny business. W7 doesn't force me to update or upgrade, everything is layed out fairly similar to the previous Windows versions, no spying/ads/etc., and out of the box its basic(not much configuration needed). For now, I'm staying on Windows 7 and various versions of Ubuntu, but I really hope that Microsoft tones it down with wanting to be "controlling".

I am using 8.1 on my Tablet however. Its alright, however if I could change the OS I would.

1 Like

I'm using windows 10 cuz I hate being on windows 8.0 or windows 8.1 and having windows 10 preloaded and still getting 'notifications' of already pre-loaded windows 10 files while asking me to 'download windows 10'.

I use Windows 10 because I am able to hack it to:

• behave like Windows 7 regarding telemetry spyware (Windows 7 has also become festered with spyware with post-Windows 10 updates).
  • behave like Windows 7 regarding the update-malware/ransomware (because that's what it is to me).
  • there exists a Windows Classic Start Menu
  • there exists a classic calculator that can be installed on windows 10
  • I am able to remove all the "apps" out of my way (I do not have the patience to accept a concept of "apps" on a desktop, when there already exists a perfectly fine concept of programs).

I also use Windows 7 because I'm too lazy to hack all of my Windows computers. But I have had to hack them to prevent the Windows 10 updater taking control over my paid licenses.

I don't use Windows 8 and 8.1. I have a strong negative emotional response to the Windows 8.x UI.

Once Microsoft succeeds in winning the Windows 10 battle against my hacking and googling skills, they will also have lost the war, because then I will go all-out Linux. I have prepared a permanent exile to Linux, already conducting most of my private work on VMWare Linux guests which can easily be moved to another host. I am just waiting for an unspecified random triggering event that will make me nerd rage plenty enough to execute the plan. Privacy and control over my own hardware and OS combo is not an option.

1 Like

I am currently using Windows 8.1 Professional because:

• I recently reformatted and did not care to run several gigabytes worth of Windows 7 updates over a 3 megabit connection - again, again.

• The SAGER NP8235 (P151SM1) does not have product support for Windows 10; only for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. As we all know, support for Windows 8 ends January 12th, 2016.

• As for locking down the OS...I'm tired of trying to do so...If I had all the installation files for the programs needed on a flash drive or a script that automatically strips all the bull then fine, but I don't. This is a war of attrition between Microsoft and its customers and personally I've lost it. Avenge me comrades.

I switched to linux and buy games thats are on linux. Sure I have an SSD to boot to play my old games. I won't buy non linux games any more.

That's all it takes. Don't buy games for stuff you don't use. Who buys cartridge games now in a store this xmas?

1 Like