Which speakers should I get? $500 budget Plus a sound question at bottom

Almost nothing uses xlr.

I really liked my Yamaha HS80M studio monitors, and within the last year or two Yamaha put out an updated model in the HS8 and the smaller HS5 monitors. The 8" version extends quite well with plenty of sub bass but you really need to have a decent sized room to bring out the full potential of them. If I were in the market again I'd probably go for a quality pair of 5" speakers on individual stands or on your table with auralex mopads at the very least for some isolation. There's a lot of good options under $500!

Almost everything in pro-audio uses xlr. the problem is you want consumer grade for your pc. or that's what they tell you..

you have lots of choices in that price range. if you can, go out and listen to different models. or make sure when buying online that they have a solid return policy. and don't listen with your eyes..

2 Likes

These guys have started to really make waves. I really want to try out their Q10's and Q15's.

I think the only thing that doesn't is the light on the mixer.

1 Like

just cruising around, looking for the most obnoxious price on mons, found these. at that price, when you dare turn them on, your head just explodes from the awesome. whoa. bonus: dip switches!

TBO I would go and get your ears tested first by an Audiologist. If your ears are OK then spend the money to hear what the speakers are putting out. If you have munted ears, throw your money at something else. You maybe getting advice here from deaf people. I love reviews from people that say this PC fan is completely silent, just from listening to it. Who knows, the Audiologist just may find those missing memory sticks..

If I was moving into that price range and didn't need the back wall of my room any more, I would go for these http://vintageking.com/adam-s6x in a heartbeat. I have been an Adam (and Eve) fanboy ever since I first heard them. I have used plenty of different monitors but the first time I heard the S2-a's I thought that I somehow suddenly had got a new set of ears.

Thanks @totalbore I was going to say that everything pro audio uses XLR. That was a very uneducated statement saying nothing does not being a dick just being honest. I would get the hs8's if I decide to go Yamaha I just need a easy solution to go from unbalanced to balanced. When I googled it all the answers were super expensive or super complicated if it's to much will lean back to the 5+ haven't had a chance to check out all the new link suggestions definitely will in a min thanks guys for the new input. This thread has been my best one yet. If you guys could please check out my new upgrade build thread and leave a comment with any suggestions or what you think please I've only gotten 1 response. https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/time-to-upgrade-my-build-and-build-a-battle-station/84762/3

Damn for 10,000 to 20,000 they better make me and my gf bust a nut every time they are on.

They do. Those puppies will bring you coffee afterwards and light your smoke for you.

1 Like

I want a rim job too!

I wonder if they would work good for a iPod and minecraft?

Pffffffft.............LOL

1 Like

They would make the iPad implode. They do need some pretty serious crap behind them to perform at peak. However, if you do have that crap and you do turn them up, they can tear down walls and still be completely clear and transparent. But you need a pretty large mixing room for them to make any sense at all. In pro audio bigger and louder is not automatically better.

1 Like

The mother of my child is a recording artist and I used to go to studio's with her and never really got into but enjoyed checking out the hardware with them it's all about clarity not about quality for like movies and gaming

I mean is your track going to be that much better because you use those speakers than normal monitors? There really for stupid rich people that want to blow money I figure. IIguess slike stupid ass apple products. I refuse to own one yelled at my ex for getting my son an iPad no bueno.

Exactly. There are a few monitors that are also good listening speakers, but most monitors are actually pretty horrible as loudspeakers. In gaming however they give you an advantage because they separate sounds so aggressively. And if you are a bastard you can EQ certain frequencies to pop out very loud, say ...footsteps!?

Yeah a track will be better for having been mixed on good monitors because they divide the frequency bands more aggressively so you can hear details that can disturb the whole mix. The difference between a really good mix and a bad one can be a few frequency bands. In todays loudness wars it probably doesn't make as much difference, but I try to stay out of it. I know that people think loud sounds better, but that's why hifi gear comes with a freaking volume knob. There is no reason to destroy your work by compressing it to hell and back in the mastering studio.

I have found a pretty good compromise in the Adam s2-A's but they are expensive and I don't like the new s2x as much for some reason. I could just swap over for a nominal fee if I wanted to. They are extremely detailed and open, but also pretty good for just listening to things. I rediscovered my own music collection when I got them.

Heres a good but true anecdote. Yamaha's Ns10 monitors are legendary. Many people thought that this was a proof of how great they are, but its actually the opposite. They became so popular in studios because they are so absolutely ghastly. If you can make your mix sound good on those, it will sound stunning everywhere else. lol

Yeah I don't have the ear as they call it to balance frequencies my ex could tho she's like a studio junkie. Like she built her computer by the sound levels the parts make ignoring performance was just weird to me.

It makes absolute sense if she does recording of instruments and vocals. All background noise is recorded too so they want to minimize it because once you start to use tools like compressors all that noise is pulled to the surface. To us robotniks (EDM music) it doesn't matter. As long as you avoid static and interference.

Yeah that's what she does Vocals and EDM like Drum & Bass and Breakbeats and House and Dubstep.

Any place I can hear some of her stuff?

yeah its her old stuff let me see if I can find the link.
This one is my favorite

but here is the rest

like I said this stuff if old school EDM so it's different than her new stuff I'll call her and see if I can get some new stuff from her.

I mean to be hones she is a really amazing and skilled producer but I don't like her style. She is amazing at vocals I've seen her destroy people at free styling. It's so funny being at a party and some guy thinks he so gangster and such a bad ass rapper and get destroyed by a chick. But I honestly think she's the best when I'm mixing and she sings and freestyles over it. It's just like everyone I think my taste in music is the best. Here is my sound cloud Disposable hero Is the only song I produced but had lots of help and yes that is my sexy face.