Which speakers should I get? $500 budget Plus a sound question at bottom

Thinking between these speakers

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396302,00.asp If I get the Audio Engines I will be getting this Subwoofer to in the next link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00166ZFSO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3TV1ZEC19KU5Z&coliid=I2KT4UWT6QVCRL

I would like a 4.1 or 5.1 setup so when playing games I could hear people sneaking up behind me and to be able to figure out peoples locations easier, but lets be honest who has the setup to place these properly? I mean you would have to have a U-shaped desk and place your rear speakers behind you and this is just not my situation that's why Ive been looking at 2.0 and 2.1 speaker setups. Honestly as you can tell because I keep saying it I really like the Audio Engine 5+ Bamboo Editions but the other ones are the only other ones I could find on top rated review sites that I liked. Honestly if I got the Logitech ones I would most likely take them apart and build wood boxes for them and ruin the warranty. So my dilemma is pricing hands down I would get the Audio Engine 5+ with the JBL 12" Sub but its going to be like almost $700 I don't mind paying it if they are really worth it. The other 2 are so much cheaper but don't appeal to me as much because of looks yet I would save money to just dump in another part of my battlestation.

Some one please help me make a decision this has been the hardest part to pick for my major system overhaul in September. I honestly don't know what to do.

I would take a look at anything active from either Adam, Eve, Focal or Dynaudio in your price range tbh. They can withstand serious punishment so buying from these brands used isn't that risky and will get you more for your money. But always listen before you buy audio gear because matter of preference also comes into play. I want my signal to be completely flat/sterile. Other people hate that and want more warmth or whatever the audiophile term is.

Edit: The next time you have money burning in your pocket, get a proper DAC or audio interface (fancy DAC with input channels and AD converter) to do your monitors justice. Forget about "pc speakers", once you have heard a proper set of monitors there is no going back.

That's what my Ex told me she is a recording artist and is telling me to get studio monitors. That's why I like the Audio Engine 5+ and I was looking into building my own subwoofer with the electronic parts bought online and making my own bamboo box to match those speakers I think that would me really nice. The other monitors I was looking at are the Mackie MR5 MK3. They just don't have any outs on them to hook up a sub, once again that's whats drawing me to the Audio Engine 5+. I have no idea where I would go that would carry these speakers to test them or studio monitors in general don't think best buy carries them. Does any one know monitors or speakers that have a optical input I would love to use it.

The Klipsche Pro Media 5.1 is the set I wanted, but they are long discontinued. You can MAYBE find used ones on ebay. The 2.1 are still being made though.
The market for 5.1 systems for computers is pretty sad, and that is why I looked at unpowered speaker sets.

I have heard good things about the newer Logitec stuff, but my last system was a 7.1 system from them, and I was unhappy with it from the first moment I used them (I special ordered it, so I couldn't really return it). Honestly, the Klipsche 2.1 system trumps anything Logitec has, and any 5.1 stuff is just not any good (at least they stuff I have looked into).

If you really want a 5.1 setup I would really recommend going with unpowerred speakers and a receiver, simply for the speaker placement calibration features on the Yamaha receivers.

You do NOT need a U shaped desk with the Yamaha "virtual surround front", software build into the receiver. I literally have my front left and right speakers raise to ear level and angled in to face me, and my surround left and right on the edges of my desk at lower chest level pointed straight out (not directly facing me as this is best for surround channels). The software gives me a better surround experience than I have EVER had with other PC 5.1 systems (I must stress PC 5.1 systems, as I am sure a properly set up home theatre will still have much improved surround sound).

Anyway, my virtual cinema front setup puts the sound in all the right places, and I can easily tell where the sounds are coming from. The only slight discrepancy, is that the (artificially created illusion of the) speakers sound like they are about a foot away from my head at about 45 degrees behind and out to the sides (generally you want to setup surround speakers so you can't really identify where they are. This is a pretty minor thing though, and I don't really notice it while immersed in a game. I just mention it for completeness.

Here is the receiver I have: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v377_black_u/ . It is in the lowest end of 5.1 receivers, so as cheap as they get. You can probably get one for $250. Also they may be discontinued, or close to that, so keep an eye out. Other receivers such as anythin from Denon could be good, it is just that I can only vouch for the surround sound placement features on the receiver I have working great for a desktop setup.

**I do give this a great review, and it works great, but any dissatisfaction will come from how much room you have in your setup (let alone maxing out your $500 budget, or even pushing a little bit past). I have a large desk I made in grade 10 with a shelf built onto the back which gives me extra room. I have the receiver and centre channel under the shelf, front left/right channels on top of the shelf, and the surround channels at either end of the front of the desk. A regular desk may need a Monitor arm to make room.

Also you could have issues if you don't use HDMI to connect your monitor to your video card, since you would end up creating a 'ghost' monitor, but that problem can be worked around.

I don't see them as studio monitors but hifi speakers. However, reviews say they have a flat response and gives you bang for you buck, so they might be just what you're looking for in terms of features and performance. But buying monitors without listening to music you know by heart though them is taboo to me.

Here you go. Something like this.

Speakers
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

Sub

Amp

EDIT: Alternative to the amp is this receiver or something similar

If your budget is only $500 I wouldn't bother with cheap speakers, as you'd get better value for money with a semi-decent pair of headphones at that price.

Optical inputs use a digital signal, therefore you need a DAC (digital to analogue converter) to process the signal. I don't know of any speaker system (powered, or unpowered) that have a built in DAC.

The 3.5mm jacks that you normally use on your computer (3 jacks for 5.1, 4 for 7.1) send out an analogue signal from the DAC on the sound card which is then amplified in the case of powered speakers.

Studio monitors would give you the clearest sound, but are also more than typical consumer grade stuff. Your ideal setup since you are considering 5.1, would be two studio monitors for the left/right channels, with a centre channel speaker, sub, and 2 speakers for the surround. This would probably blow well through your budget though.

Audioholics have good recommendations for setup, and working your way up to a good system. Normally this advice is for home theatre, but their advice is sound in this case. You would be better off getting a decent 2 speaker setup using monitors, than 5 cheaper speakers in a 5.1 setup where you might end up replacing the right/left channels (or all of them) later on. You can check up on their videos and guides here: https://www.youtube.com/user/AudioholicsLIVE/featured

I don't know about speakers but I had some Yamaha HS80M monitors that were nice with the clarity and separation. Active is nice because the amps are purpose built for the cones eh....

I'm looking at the KRK's, Sound good, look gaudy, I'm not sure I could put up with those yellow eyes staring at me.

Thanks for all the time spent helping me. I already have a surround system that I spent way to much money on and putting together one like that just seems like to much of a hassle for a computer.

I did see one pair of speakers that had optical inputs but couldn't find any decent reviews on them. They were made by Allure or something like that. The KRK's were highly recommended by my ex but there is no way I could deal with those damn yellow speakers. Just like when it comes to my hair I'm like super vain and anal how things look, I know its not the best but I pick things by Looks the Performance I need a balance of both. Example I bought a MSI gaming laptop instead of Asus even tho they are one of my favorite companies just because I hate red and the damn ROG laptops are covered in red.

@Lord_Tao If those are more HI-Fi speakers than monitors that's a even better selling point for me. Monitors are all about clarity and being able to hear the little imperfections and stuff when making music I just want them for playing single player games and listening to music I use headphones for multiplayer.

Highly recommend the Yamaha HS7's. I have been using them for about a year, and I have to say, I prefer them to the HS8 (larger cone, but bass is too strong, IMO). The HS7 has strong bass with a good range in a small-mid sized room; no need for a sub for content playback. They are active, so don't worry about an amp.

You will have to use something with a line out that can adapt to 1/4 or XLR; I recommend any prosumer/amateur grade interface, like an old MOTU, Presonus or M-Audio piece. You could even use a mobo line out, if nothing else.

A pair should come in right at or under 500. If not, find a retailer who will bargain with you. Never pay list price on that gear.

I also have some KRK 5's and a friend of mine has the lim ed 6's which are blue/white, instead of black/yellow. The KRK's are ok because they are inexpensive (especially used), but they slam bass too hard, and scoop mid freqs a bit much. They do beat the M-Audio offerings, however (BX 5/8), and still sound quite nice for casual listening. Definitely clearer than most consumer grade PC speakers you'll find.

Not wanting to put it together doesn't really seem like a valid concern imo. It really takes no effort at all. Plug this into that and that into the other thing and there you go. But whatever I guess. I just know that if I was actually going to spend that kind of money, I would want to get the best that I could. Buying the parts and the assembling it instead of buying an active amp seems a lot like buying parts for a pc instead of a prebuilt unit, honestly. More options, better quality, better results.

I built my PC myself. I already have a $2000 setup in the same room i just want something simple.

After checking out the Yamaha H7 I'm at loss now still prefer the inputs and outputs on the 5+ and the bamboo is super sexy but the white Yamaha are pretty sick looking and much cheaper plus they are monitors so more accurate sound but I want to get a sub in the future for explosions that make your butthole clench. So I am back where I started now don't know what to get.

KRK does make some pretty solid stuff, but you get to bleed for the really good ones. But even their lower ranges can be quite good if you tame the low end though EQ. I think this is why they are so popular with hip hop producers, because you can unleash booming low end at your leisure without a sub.

Those Yamaha's use a balanced connection to input the signal, so I am not sure how you would hook them up to your computer. (I haven't looked into how to convert non balanced to balanced).

You can easily add a subwoofer. Your computer should have a seperate jack for the centre/sub channels (assuming that your sound card is 5.1 or 7.1 compatible). All you would need is a cable with 3.5mm male on one end, and 2 rca male on the other (usually depending on the subwoofer connections). Either way the y on the end of the cable would be the centre channel, and the other would be the sub channel. In your system software you would specify what speakers you have i.e. front/left and subwoofer. I would also recommend a shielded cable to prevent hums from any noise picked up by the cable.

Properly crossing over the speakers and subwoofer would be another matter, since you would be at the mercy of the limitations of the software.

I need to figure out who to do that because I think I'm getting a black desk instead of a wood one so the bamboo won't look good with everything else. So I'm leaning towards the Yamaha's now. Plus with the money I save I could get a dac.

If I have extra money should I buy a internal sound, external sound card, or a dac?

Depends. Are you interested in virtual surround stuff? Are you interested in just sound quality for music and stuff? Do you already have an amp?

EDIT: And what headphones do you have?

I just recently got the Mackie MR5mk3s and am loving them. Running them with a Schiit Modi/Magni stack.

Aftermarket sound cards won't do you much good. The gamer cards give some better audio effects in gaming, but that is about it.

The other thing is, those Yamahas need something that outputs a 'balanced signal'. This would be the only reason for buying a sound card or a DAC (if any of those things can even output that kind of signal).

I think bamboo would look fine on a black desk. Black makes just about everything look great.

Those Mackies were one of my original choices until I raised my budget. I know I was thinking about the Yamaha's that's why I was asking about sound cards because I believe most decent external sound cards have xlr outs on them because that's what my Ex uses but not to sure. I love how every ones up late at night...........or in another country I guess