What is your Current Linux Setup?

looks neat

Currently Manjaro KDE on the main PC. I like it, so no reason to change until I build a new PC some day.

Laptop has Tumbleweed with several desktops installed, though I barely use it. Tried gnome 3 for the first time, hated it almost as much as I hated gnome 2. Lxqt for the first time as well - seems like it could get there, just not there yet. Xfce for the first time inā€¦ gosh, probably close to 10 years. Not much seems to have changed. It works, I donā€™t hate it, I just really like KDE. What can you do. Assuming its in the repos or OBS I might try Lumina again. Havenā€™t touched that since its initial release in PC-BSD (TrueOS).

The uptime is how old this installation is. I normally just run Linux on my school laptop and windows on my desktop bc muh games. Decided to finally switch to Linux full time and honestly other than dark arc and some icon packs I donā€™t change much. Messed around with i3 a few times and I love being able to tile my windows while doing homework but i canā€™t seem to find a guide that shows me how to enable floating windows in i3. halp plz?

gah! I couldnā€™t. Iā€™m an obsessive-compulsive minimizer/alt-tabber, I wouldnā€™t handle that much screen real estate and have all those windows scrolling and begging for attention!

Trying out Solus3/budgie on my main rig. Seems nice, except the freaking bottom panel keeps being ignored by applications (ie on chrome maximized I canā€™t press this forumā€™s ā€œreplyā€ button.
TinyCore plus on my dinosaur hp netbook for terminal stuff on the go, battery lasts for ages

Haha it saves me from constantly alt-tabbing between programs constantly though! I still have other windows on different workspaces, too. Itā€™s not like EVERYTHING is right there in my face. :wink:
And look, Iā€™m even using tabs in the browser and terminal, AND tmux! Plenty of places to hide things still!

In i3 you can use Mod+Shift+Space to float windows which you can then move/resize freely with your mouse.

Iā€™ve been running Unix / BSD systems for years. Iā€™d rather go with FreeBSD since TrueOS changed over to OpenRC, plus Iā€™m not a big fan of Lumina in itā€™s current state.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that, I just thought Iā€™d suggest it, as I didnā€™t see your previous posts detailing your experience.

main rig: Fedora w/ Gnome
secondary: Fedora headless & w/ Openbox
netbook: Fedora headless & w/ Openbox
laptop: Fedora w/ Openbox

I have been thinking about switching my non-main pcs back to debian based OSs like Bunsenlabā€™s Hydrogen or just plain debain, but I havenā€™t decided. I have resolved most of my problems with Fedora

Not a problem. I appreciate the suggestion, and would point people towards TrueOS if they are new to BSD and are trying to setup a desktop quickly.

Yes. I see a lot of folks hit a dead end with GhostBSD and just give up ā€“ Iā€™d rather them learn on a less ā€œpureā€ version of FreeBSD than get scared off from the get go.

Fedora 26 with cinnamon as the DE, runs great on my x220 tablet. Donā€™t use it for anything fancy, just nice to piddle around with.

Also fedora is great because it always reminds me of my projects with linux.

4 Likes

ā€˜Downgradedā€™ from pure Arch to Manjaro, but itā€™s been treating me very well, and out of the box nonfree drivers for my GTX 1070 is a god send.

Using KDE Plasma.

Likely to jump on the Solus bandwagon when Budgie goes to Qt though.

1 Like

I used to be a Arch shill up until the maintainers triggered me by removing deprecating the Synaptics touchpad driver. now my touchpad was forever broken.

1 Like

Wait, what?

Why?

How could they?

They donā€™t deserve to be ā€œmaintainersā€ if they canā€™t even maintain a working system.

Thereā€™s probably no reason that your touchpad wouldnā€™t work with libinput

They deprecated it because thereā€™s a newer driver, that also works with synaptics devices.

Chances are he was using gnome and just gave up without looking into the necessary tweaks

it didnā€™t, I tried everything and nothingā€¦ the documentation for it is very vague as well. after a few hours of trying to get it to work. I just distro hopped.

Were you using gnome or something based on it?

budgie. but that is irrelevant. libinput is a garbage driver period.

1 Like