What is your Current Linux Setup?

I’ve still been too lazy to change my HTPC or laptop from LXLE. It’s a bit of work getting it set up with the programs I like, but once that is done and the desktop has been customized to my liking it just works for me.

I have played around with other distro’s and it seems like all of them have quirks that are a bit irritating. A good bit of that is probably my lack of knowing how to fix them or circumvent the issue. I guess the issues that LXLE has, other than the obscure default programs, don’t bother me.

I’ve used and built a few different LXQt desktops in VM’s and it seems to be coming close to LXDE. There are still quite a number of menus in LXDE that are missing part or all of the customization that LXDE has, but it has gotten much better over the last few releases. After trying out the alpha Lubuntu Next with LXQt and Compton, I was pretty impressed. I’ve also played with some custom builds of LXQt and XFCE with Kwin which worked well.

I have tried a bunch of other distros and I really like Raspbian x86. Of course their ‘pixel’ DE is LXDE based so it isn’t much of a surprise that I like it. A comment in their blog says they will have the x86 build updated in a few weeks.

I also like playing around with Deepin. I always seem to find some new programs I never knew about when I dig through their store. I should try running it on bare metal again sometime soon just to toy around with since it seems to expand my horizons on what is out there.

Looks like a nice OS setup you have going there. If you able, I would be interested to hear about what you do and how freebsd can benefit that. A linux user myself, but always interesting in learning about the setup of different workloads, how the architecture of a system works, etc. Also considering awm as a replacement for my current xfce setup, any info about how it would compare in use?

Not being fragile, being built sanely, good networking, and having built in ZFS are the main advantages.

Everything but my RHEL/CentOS workstation runs it.

It’s unix, but without all the broken shit linux distros tend to ship with, in short.

Try lumina. It’s like XFCE without any of the GTK garbage. only deps are qt5 stuff and X

Laptop 1: This is a gaming laptop, custom built. I have and can use linux on it, but the only working distros with my nvidia graphics card (nvidia’s drivers for 3d, switching between intel with PRIME, rather than the horrors of optirun) have been ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04(xubuntu for a nice de). The installs are glitchy and everything has issues with 3 displays in nvidia mode(16.04 can’t even use two), Unfortunately , ubuntu does not control fans enough to keep the system cool, so theres a lot of throttling and high temps. The result: not much linux on this right now, ubuntu subsystem is currently the main linux I can use. Waiting for something that works well.

Laptop 2: Nice thinkpad t430s with debian 9. Very clean setup here for general work and programming; xfce4 desktop, firefox (from default apt atm), atom & vim (slowly moving to the latter), libreoffice and LaTeX for text stuff. This is my current main workhorse Linux setup. It works. Very well.

Netbooks for quick or one time tasks: Usually debian(XFCE again, there is a theme here), or whatever new distro I have been trying out (usually just the general teminal workflow style, these are not fast enough for most DE work).
General older desktops: Same as Netbooks. Can usually use a lighter DE however.

RPi’s: Raspbian lite, if I need a DE, I set it up myself.
BeagleBone devices: Debian, still working on getting it right and working.

Server: older pc, but can run a couple java based game servers along with files. Debian 9 again, very good release for me so far, with exception of now having to install mysql from another repo(offical mysql dist. repo). The default debian apt version does not seem to have(from my effors in trying to use it) working logins and login setup for simple setup and use like on debian 8.

I operate servers that run FreeBSD. I develop software for FreeBSD, too. Web applications, management tools, occasionally contributions to the OS itself. I really like the combination of a stable cohesive base system with frequently updated packages for user installed software. The BSDs feel very clean and well thought out, compared to the random collection of GNU and other tools that are mashed together in your typical linux distro.

Awesome WM is just a window manager, so it’s going to be a huge departure from a desktop environment like XFCE. You don’t get any applications with it, pretty much just the window chrome.

Can you disclose what projects? I’m always interested in seeing BSD devs in the wild.

No flame war here. :wink: I last ran FreeBSD 10.3 a while ago. Since my laptop is about to get reformatted I’ll toss TrueOS and then FreeBSD on it and play around. I know you can get Steam games running under Wine with PC-BSD, since I was successful with that before.

Time to grab some BSD .ISO’s. :wink:

I have a few things on github and gitlab but nothing that’s really a big deal. An abandoned rewrite of iocage, some library bindings, a few bits and pieces for running FreeBSD on Scaleway…

I’m not really comfortable sharing any of the web projects I work on yet, a lot of it is internal administrative stuff or backend services that people don’t need to know about anyway. Also a little bit to lazy to describe old projects in any sufficient amount of depth to make sense :skull:

Had a quick look at the lumina website, appears very interesting, will put it on my current ml box and give it a try at the weekend while I’m Working on it.

.img’s* :wink:

Heh. :smiley:

If you’re looking for a casual desktop experience, TrueOS may be more suited to your purposes.
Learn from there.

cool beans

1 Like

Elaborate please.

He loves qt5 and Plasma

I too am happy to see Budgie move to qt.

Also like LXQT as well.

2 Likes

check out lumina.

1 Like

No, again, just hate how modern GTK has been implemented.

I like XFCE and it’s forks too.

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about you. I meant @Just_Lurking

1 Like