What is your Current Linux Setup?

Can’t you just let me freak out about something without interrupting me with your “facts”, “knowledge” and “reality”

1 Like

Nah. It’s extremely relevant. GTK3 based DE’s were just slow to support it, and you had to do a couple tweaks to get them to pick up input properly in the early days.

Had you been using KDE, XFCE or similar it would have worked fine, most likely, or only needed a slight tweak (Plasma 5 showed normal mouse settings intead of the touchpad dialog in the early days, for example, but touchpads worked fine otherwise with libinput)

It’s not garbage, just new and different.

I tried other desktops. still didn’t work.

I would, but I’m cursed with a strong sense of schadenfreude and pedanticism.

1 Like

Opensuse tumbleweed.

Gnome with plenty of extensions. Some of my own creation.

Laptop is a macbook pro with the high sierra beta.

Sure you did.

dude it’s a garbage driver. it’s finicky and it requires configuration after installation. something the synpatics driver didn’t. I tried other desktop environments. it didn’t work and it only seemed to affect me in Arch. I looked through the documentation and found nothing. it was vague.

When they deprecated the driver, I had the same problem. I fixed it with a few settings changes. It was an issue with GNOME, not libinput. When I switched to kde on that machine, no other tweaks needed.

While I agree they jumped the gun on deprecation a little, as libinput wasn’t super mature at the time, it wasn’t any big thing to fix, and it’s since been remedied completely.

I don’t even use arch anymore, nor do I use libinput, but you’re greatly exaggerating an issue that isn’t even an issue anymore.

It was an issue for me at the time, which is why I haven’t gone back to Arch in a month, I’ve moved on.

Yeah, use what works for you.

Honestly I don’t like fixing things that once worked, but because of an update, are now broken. which is somewhat contradictory now cause I use Gentoo and I’m constantly fixing things for the most part. though I will give you that, every GNOME update or just any GTK update period on Arch was a waste of time cause they were buggy as shit for about the first two weeks, and that was a bit irritating for me. the only thing Arch had going for me was the AUR. that was cool. I’ve like Budgie better than GNOME. I don’t use it on Gentoo currently strictly cause there is no screensaver so closing the lid on my laptop would just take me back to the desktop of coruse. but hopefully Budgie 11 comes soon and hopefully Solus has a lockscreen ready cause I’m ready to jump ship.

The only thing I miss is the faster updates. Gentoo is slow with updates for a rolling release distro compared to others… then again not many use Gentoo like they did in the past so I can’t expect much.

If you don’t want things to break, you pretty much can’t use a rolling release distro, unless you’re very careful when setting the system up. Some have had success with Rolling downstream spins like antergos, but it just isn’t advisable if your computer isn’t also your hobby. That’s just how linux is. It’s a bunch of taped together passion projects with different goals and aims. There’s no design involved unless you want to freeze everything.

1 Like

I disagree with that.

Arch is the notorious “rolling distro that has occasional problems” that everyone goes with to illustrate that RR is unstable by design. Tumbleweed is usually pretty stable. Solus also fits the bill, but I would say that with a grain of salt, considering they are still relatively new and don’t have years of data to go off of.

That and, you know, OpenSuse Tumbleweed and, uh, Void…
And a whole fuck pile of independants.

This is one of the things I love about FreeBSD. The base system is separate and stable, while the packages for applications you install are updated quarterly in the default repo with the option to switch to the latest repo for the most recent versions of packages. Packages themselves can have different versions as well. For example, there are separate packages for PostgreSQL 9.2 through 9.6 and 10 beta 3, so you don’t have to worry about the PostgreSQL package leaping from version 9.6 to 10 and breaking all your applications. Eventually 9.2 will no longer be supported, but you get to decide for yourself when you’re ready to upgrade. In the meantime, you can stay on top of bug fixes that get back ported. Combined with the ports tree, this is a system I know I can rely on.

1 Like

Yeah, Should have specified.

I’m not super knowledgeable of all the distros out there.

1 Like

My main pc just got a fresh install of Manjaro KDE, because I upgraded to Ryzen.
First time using KDE and it has a bit of a learning curve after years with openbox and xfce. Still haven’t figured out how to access files on my NAS in KDE.
I do have a win 10 partition on this machine too. Solely just for two windows games that I can’t seem to leave alone.

My HTPC also just got a ryzen upgrade, but that one is sitting with it’s old ubuntu 17.04 still. Because I need audio over hdmi on that machine, I installed ubuntu on here a few months ago when I got a 460 and started using amdgpu.
I couldn’t get a kernel working on Manjaro xfce that had AMD’s fix for this issue, but was no problem setting up in ubuntu.

It’s almost like it has an actual design philosophy and direction in development or something.

I feel like I need to dual boot a Freebsd setup on my laptop.
Antergos Gnome on my System76 Gazelle
Since i game shamefully on Windows 10 right now on my desktop.

1 Like

@tkoham @freqlabs guide for using linux elf binaries for freebsd? Currently, this is the one thing thats holding me back because of certain applications.

1 Like