What are you reading right now?

The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. Read when I was in seventh grade or something and decided to reread it the other day.

Terry Pratchetts last book, "The Shepherd's Crown"

The first two books rocked, and Ryan self published the first one. Then he got picked up by a Publisher. 3rd book is supposedly trash, I digress though.

I will give my recommedantions here.

For history...
1) The Decline and Fall of the Western Roman Empire...Edward R Gibbon.
2) Demosthenes...gives you a foundation of how nothing has changed in 2.5k years with politics, there is a reason why they are called Talents.

For Pure fun...
1) Ready Player One, the 80's references get old, though it's a good book if you know a bit about D&D and low res VR.
2) Willful Child by Stephen Erickson (sic), anytime I spit my water at lunch over laughing so hard, it''s a thumbs up. It's a spoof on Star Trek, though very funny.

For Pure Magic...
!) Magic the Gathering Arena It should have been a movie.
2) Master of White Storm, Authored by Janny Wurtz, it's a damn good book.

If you like Heists or Criminality...
!) Lies of Locke Lamora
2) Low Town by Daniel Polansky if you can read between the lines about drugs and government.

If you have a tin foil hat on...
1) Area 51... I think by Annie Jacobsen. If you are into aerospace stuff, ignore the Roswell crap. It's a history of the Lockheed skunkworks.

For Post Apocalypic..and free
1) Fritz Lieber The Night of the Long Knives.

I am reading a book that should be a movie... I feel your pain!

Hannah Arendt. Eichmann in Jerusalem: A report on the banality of evil.

I'm reading data sheets, lots and lots of data sheets :D

Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis
Scullard : From the Gracchi to Nero
The Rising Sun by John Toland
Rubicon: The Last Years Of The Roman Republic by Tom Holland
Savage Continent by Keith Lowe

This is what happens when your a history major and are taking a couple of draduate classes.

Haruki Mukarami - Pinball.

I read this... quatrogy? :D in a very messed up order (Wild Sheep Case, Dance Dance Dance, Wind, Pinball. Their actuall order is Wind, Pinball, Wild Sheep Case, Dance Dance Dance). I really recommend this and all other Mukarami books. Go read them. Right now.

I am reading FULGRIM by Graham McNeill for obvious reasons. (Warhammer 40k)

1 Like

That is fucked up

"Wild Swans" by Jung Chang.

Plutarch's Lives, volume II

To be more precise, I am reading the German version called "Der Wanderer"

The Roman Revoulution--- by Ronald Syme..

Crimes and Mercies - The Fate Of German Civilians Under Allied Occupation, 1944-1950 - James Bacque
An Eye For An Eye - The Untold Story of Jewish Revenge Against Germans in 1945 - John Sack
German 1945 From War To Peace - Richard Bessel

Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe

1984 - George Orwell. Almost done. I read it during the commute.

Other Losses - by James Bacque

Just finished the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman, absolutely amazing read about a holocaust survivor's life told by his son in the form of a comic.

Currently on book 2 of the Halo series, so far the written story absolutely destroys the story of the console games.

Recently finished the entire Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It's my favorite epic fantasy series and I highly recommend it to anybody looking for a good long read that you can immerse yourself in.

1 Like