What are you reading right now?

Hey everyone, I looked through the book section and I couldn't find any threads on this topic even though I swear I've seen one on here before so I made one!

So what are you reading at the moment?

I've quite suddenly decided to get into reading and have gotten a couple of books, of which one I am reading right now and it's called "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner which is about the game DOOM and the first wave of PC games (instead of consoles which were actually better at the time :O shock horror!) and the lives of John and Romero & Carmack from when they were children to their first gaming and coding experiences to their first jobs and discovering of each other all the way through to when they took over the gaming industry. I'm about a third in and when ever I start having a reading session at night I almost can't put the damn book down coz it's so interesting!

The next book on my to read list which just arrived in the mail the other day is "Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia". I am not religious nor do I believe in any greater power or myths of the old times as of now, but I am interested to read about what he has to say about what influenced a lot a lyrical themes and actions in the black metal/viking metal scene.

Please tell me about any books you've read bellow or want to read. It'd be awesome to be able to add some more to my "To Read" list!

2 Likes

Schwartz' Principles of Surgery ABSITE and Board Review... for my medical board exams.

But apart from that, I'm reading some DnD Handbooks... want to get into the real tabletop thing lol 

im reading "the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya" and next probs going to hit up some "SAE race car vehicle dynamics"

I'm currently reading Metro 2033, after i've finnished that one i'll continue with metro 2034. After that i have no idea what to read, do you guys have any books that you recommend?

2 Likes

Currently reading "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. Good commentary on how and what has happened over the past 30 years or so to get to where we are(at 2004,that's when the book was out)

How is it? I've been curious about reading it but I've heard bad things about the English translations.

I read them and they were excellent

I am reading Gauntlgarm by R.A. Salvatore at the moment. 

the "Welcome to the N.H.K" manga

3 Likes

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

I'm finally getting around to reading World War Z by Max Brooks and then going to follow that up with The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Ahh Dungeons and Dragons? It's mentioned quite a lot in "Masters of Doom". The creators of doom used to play DnD like it was a religion! Also, Varg Vikernes, writer of the second book, also loved the game too, and is making his own RPG now :)

Just finished Andrzej Sapokowki's The Last Wish. Going to read Blood of Elves next.

1 Like

i'm reading some voltaire at the moment (candide and other stories). read "the sense of an ending" by julian barnes recently. was very good.

i need to get the last two dennis lehane books. those are great for long flights/trips. he wrote shutter island. scoresese made the movie adaptation. good movie too.

for non-fiction i have "what money can't buy" by michael sandel on my to-read list.

It's great, but i'm reading it in Swedish, so i don't know how it it in English.

I'm reading Blood Song.  Just to clarity, the one by Anthony Ryan, NOT the one by Cat Adams.  

It's a great book.  If you like the The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss you will probably like Blood Song.  It is in the same vein, but different, plus it has a couple of aspects of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Thinking, Fast and Slow explains how the brain functions on two systems and how they impact our cognitive bias and in turn our choices and lives.

A world Out of Time, an often overlooked classic of hard science fiction. Jaybee Corbell, frozen in the 1970s due to being a walking tumor, hoping the future will have the technology to heal him, awakes in an unfamiliar body in a world run by a single dictatorial government known only as "The State". Upon his awakening he is told that his sole purpose for being given a second life is to be trained as a the sole crewman of a buzzard ramjet with a payload terraforming seed materials to be dropped off on future colony planets. He doesn't particularly care for the plan and decides his natural inner tourist has a better plan.

comics count right?  they should count.  comics are awesome.  quite the unique medium. Planetary by Warren Ellis is no exception. I don't want give anything away but it's one of those stories that keep you turning the page.  

some of his other stuff that's awesome

Transmetropolitan <¬ one of my faves(if you like stories about a crazy future) 

Planetary
Hellblazer
The Authority
Red
Nextwave
Global Frequency
Iron Man Extremis
Ministry of Space
Fell
Gun Machine

2 Likes

I want to brew my own beer, so im readin'  -> BREW LIKE A MONK <- It's pretty much a beer-history book.