What are you Growing (Plants, Garden, Farm)

Someone is confused


2 Likes

When, you guys think, is the right tome to start the hot peppers seedling?
I plan to start the seeds at home and when they are ready, plant them in larger pots outside.

Some people still say February, although i don’t think i ever had anything sprouting before March…

If you can keep them protected.

Jalps don’t need pre-prep. Habañero and Ghosts would benefit from the prep.

I’ve not started CR’s from seed, so I can’t speak for this varietal…

1 Like

What’s your ambient?

I don’t think i will aim for any specific kind of peppers.
Last year i had 4 different kinds, they mixed and all my peppers came out the same…

PS: Google AI said to start the seeds mid December…
AI is ret@rded…

Does underwater plants count?

There’s Cryptocoryne Wendtii green, Cryptocoryne pink flamingo, Cryptocoryne lucens, Queen Ozelot sword, red tiger lotus, java moss, anacharis, and Dwarf Sagittaria.
I use Osmocote+ as a fertilizer for the root feeders, it’s put into a gel cap and placed under the gravel. The water column is dosed with a liquid fertilizer that contains nitrate, phosphate, iron, and other things.

3 Likes

I think it depends on your growing zone…any local universities or community garden clubs have a seed starting pamphlet/website?

1 Like

I try to stay above 50, but north facing windows…this one wasnt even near a grow light…almost missed it.

Depends on what you’re growing, what your local climate is and what your growing space/tools are.

I started my chinense varieties in the first week of January, sat on the top of our fridge until they started sprouting and then under a grow light. The hotter varieties of pepper generally germinate best at 25-28C and then want to be at 18+C while growing. I can’t really achieve either so my peppers are always very slow to take off and half of them are still ungerminated.

I really only start early to give myself the chance to do a second sowing to fill any gaps. If you’ve got a bigger indoor grow setup and better temp control then you can use the head start to get plants bigger when they go out but otherwise a plant started in February will likely be the same size as one started in January by the time May/June comes around.

1 Like

Not as far as i know…

For example

2 Likes

I love cactus plants, so I have several at home.

1 Like

As the saying goes: “The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, and the 2nd-best time is to plant a tree now.”

I like to say that it’s never too late to get peppers planted, but their fruiting is logarithmically-aligned to your Season . . . “sooner, rather than later” could be your maxim.

1 Like

I’m not planting anything this year…

I’m in this space, also, and not really diggin’ it…

1 Like

I’m in the middle of transition to the late spring/summer plantings…

Greenhouse tomatoes and container bush tomatoes are planted. Chillies are in their intermediate pots. Various trays of seedlings are balanced on things until ready to go out. It’s a mess, but that’s how it usually is at the end of spring.

Outside, the first wave of kales, summer cabbages and chards are out. Bean frame is up but not yet planted. The first early potato container harvest will be this week, making way for the main crop late harvest in the same containers. My figs are leafing out and I’ve only managed to put one of the other fruit trees/bushes in the ground, which means they’re still sitting around in containers around the veg beds, so it’s equally crowded and messy out here too.

Some leeks going to seed, some garlic already showing signs of rust and the salad bed starting to come into production.

The “temporary” bed that resulted from digging out the foundations of the garden wall that is now in it’s third year of temporariness and hosting the 2nd early potatoes and some more garlic. I’ll probably stick some squash in the middle if the parsnips I sowed there don’t come up (I suspect the cats and local wildlife have scratched most of the seedlings away).

8 Likes

That’s an awesome inforgraphic, I make something similar on paper by hand like a pleb for my garden each spring. It gets demolished by actively moving around the garden and is not so detailed, but helpful.

This year I had bird pluck all the corn out of the ground and nibble off the corn seed. Maddening, covering a cornrow is never in the plan.

1 Like

Small update a month later. Everything is taking off, except my beans, which are only just starting to climb the frame. Butterfly protection netting is in place over the most valuable brassicas. I may have planted too many potatoes.

6 Likes

Or son has planted tomatoes , home-grown out of other tomatoes.

5 Likes

These are only alive do to automated watering. Some sort of cherry in the first, early girl middle, and farthest is bradywine tomatoes.

Close to getting one off the vine!

4 Likes