What are some old games that could use a remaster by a developer or a modder?

No.. God no... Blizzard will do it free to play and charge you for more than two workers... You will have to buy random packs to be able to play the heroes in Warcraft 3... No Blizzard, don't touch the. Starcraft nor Warcraft series.

Its the perfect 4X nothing has ever really come close. The best real time is still tied between Starcraft: Brood War and Age of Empires II. Those where the golden years of strategy games. No one in this new generation plays them so great games like Grey Goo don't sell. Starcraft II is the exception to the rule.

Mafia 1.

It may still be the only game (at least that I know of) that took reloading seriously enough to make it realistic. You can't reload with a half-empty mag without losing the remaining ammo. I loved how something so simple made such an effect on combat. And it's just a third person shooter basically. Some games that like to call themselves RPG don't do things like that.

KOTOR was really amazing for the time. Easily in my top Star Wars games with Republic Commando and Empire at War.

We need a system shock 3

There was supposed to be a sequel called Imperial Commando, but it was cancelled.

This doesn't need to be remade. Freespace 1 and 2 are the space combat sim perfected. The source was released, and it still runs, thanks to that. You need to check out the Freespace Open community.

@zuldrak
There's a Starcraft to SC2 conversion. It's a lot harder, because the AI is way smarter now. I'm still waiting for the whole game to be finished before getting SC2. God help if there's an expansion pack planned too.

Oh man, I remember playing the demo of IQ. It was fun! I miss demo discs and intelligent puzzle games. There are some really good ones on the phone, but I hate killing my battery. KotOR II has the Restored Content Mod. It restores a lot of stuff that didn't get put in the game, because they rushed it out. I think if it was properly finished, KotOR II would be the better game.

A lot of the well-known, good games have had conversions done by modders in later titles. It's the lesser-known gems that could use a facelift. Not all of them though. Some will probably lose their charm if they were. Keeping them running is more important I think. We can show new gamers that gameplay trumps graphics, always.

1 Like

True.

I need to try that content restoration mod. Does it fix the shitty endings? That was my main problem with the game. The endings were just....."well, we ran out of time. so.....short cutscene!"

Freelancer needs to get remake with new Unreal engine and dx12.

1 Like

Ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Dark Forces & Jedi Knight
Man I remember JK actually being my first multiplayer game (or was it second and Quake 3 first) and with the ROTT and Shadow Warrior remakes, I would be curious to see how a DF remake would be done. I think I ended up playing Jedi Knight more than any Doom or Quake despite I love those games.

Dark Reign
I really have never been much in to strategy games, but this I played the HELL out of. I have the GOG version, but it's still pretty buggy. It's a shame because the sequel was open sourced not too long ago. Also the company who developed it went to making train sim games EXCLUSIVELY and ultimately re-branded themselves as "MyTrainz".

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
God this game was so good and so horribly buggy. Anything Bethesda has done has NOTHING on how buggy VTMB was. Even with all the mods and patches, it's still broken as hell. I have never finished the game, but I do love the hell out of it.

Final Fantasy 4 & 5
These got god awful ports recently on Android and PC. Classic FF deserves better than this. I don't mind gussied up graphics, but IMO these ports look kind of awful. And the gameplay, ugh. I think the PlayStation 1 ports had faster load times. Hell more effort has been going in to the Dragon Quest remakes, so why should Final Fantasy get half-assed ones? At least I can play them on an SNES emulator.

Myst Series
"What again? Isn't RealMyst Masterpeice enough?" "NO!" I say.
One thing I would like to see done after playing RealMyst Masterpeice, FREE ROAMING. I love point and click adventures, but I REALLY want to wander off the beaten path now. I would love to see every nook and cranny of the worlds, not just the path you're locked in to. Another thing would be to have everything done in the engine, not a single pre-rendered scene anywhere.

1 Like

Did you see the KOTOR patch that now allows for 4K res and such? I've played it in 4K. Looks like crisper older graphics :D

Edit: I think it may have unlocked steam workshop access too (?) Not sure.

1 Like

A Pokemon game that combines multiple generations and regions all in one. I have been hoping for years that this be done and it has not. With nintendo recently announcing a re-release of Pokemon Yellow I was somewhat disappointed as that game was a big part of my childhood. I do know there are many modded games out there, but have not kept up with them lately....but now that I mention it, I may look around later tonight to see what is new.

There is talks of that game being developed so you may actually see it happen

i hope so, we must see shodan return

Here ya go http://www.gamespot.com/articles/system-shock-remake-in-production-system-shock-3-d/1100-6432215/

Make a total conversion mod with the devs. I WANT THE FUCKING SEQUALS FINISHED.

Story: Devs don't have rights and have been aiming to finish the trilogy of games since it's release. Sadly the publishers are cunts

I thought I was the only one here who owned that game...lol

Yeah, I agree, Railroad Tycoon 3 was a bit of a disappointment. The graphics were horrid, especially in comparison to SMRR. And frankly, as fun as it is to screw around in a virtual railyard, RailWorks TS on Steam is WAAAAY too expensive. And I haven't heard good things about the latest "Trainz" either. sigh....

1 Like

Apart from those that were already mentioned, there are some games that were fascinating to me when they first got out and which I think have the potential to be interesting today with some updates to graphics, gameplay, audio, general content... Some of those are Chaos Engine, Ignition, Stronghold Crusader, Gun Metal, Sacrifice, Earthworm Jim, MDK, Panzer General, IL-2 Sturmovik, Evolva.

I'm also tempted to say Half-Life but its already perfect, and Black Mesa is an excellent remake of the original.

I would like to see Capcom's Megaman Legends get redone, but, more inparticular, the spin off: the Misadventures of Tron Bonne...because I can't get an emulator to run it proper and copies of this fucker go for way too much:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Misadventures-of-Tron-Bonne-with-Megaman-Legends-Demo-Sony-PlayStation-1-2000-/231737774520?hash=item35f4a5d1b8:g:psAAAOSw5VFWNTLk

Aside from that, many of the great games from the PS2 era, I would love to see just get a minor facelift and put on modern hardware....it would be rad if Sony would release them for the Vita, but seeing as how that console was a major flop, pretty certain that will never happen.
Running any PS2 game in an emulator and forcing it to scale to 1080p and...wow, some of these PS2 games didn't actually look half bad once you add more pixels in. see FFXII - not bad looking at 1080p! (I'm certain Square will do an HD remake of that though, considering they did FFX not to long ago and FFVII is on the way)

P.S.
I get there are a lot of PS2 collections of some of the best selling PS2 games for the vita, but I would like to see less popular game series on the vita, such as Zone of the Enders, DMC, Xenosaga...

OH!!! and as an added bonus:
Would love a Beyond Good and Evil remake! At least we have the original version on GOG.

I have seen Final Fantasy 7 get a lot of love, Personally, I feel 8 was neglected and its time for a face lift.

I'm certain in due time we'll see Square remake or remaster all of the 3D FF games; they're just remaking them based on popularity.
Hopefully, with FF13 and all of it's atrocious spin offs and sequels, we'll see them put more FF games on the PC.