What are some old games that could use a remaster by a developer or a modder?

i hope so, we must see shodan return

Here ya go http://www.gamespot.com/articles/system-shock-remake-in-production-system-shock-3-d/1100-6432215/

Make a total conversion mod with the devs. I WANT THE FUCKING SEQUALS FINISHED.

Story: Devs don't have rights and have been aiming to finish the trilogy of games since it's release. Sadly the publishers are cunts

I thought I was the only one here who owned that game...lol

Yeah, I agree, Railroad Tycoon 3 was a bit of a disappointment. The graphics were horrid, especially in comparison to SMRR. And frankly, as fun as it is to screw around in a virtual railyard, RailWorks TS on Steam is WAAAAY too expensive. And I haven't heard good things about the latest "Trainz" either. sigh....

1 Like

Apart from those that were already mentioned, there are some games that were fascinating to me when they first got out and which I think have the potential to be interesting today with some updates to graphics, gameplay, audio, general content... Some of those are Chaos Engine, Ignition, Stronghold Crusader, Gun Metal, Sacrifice, Earthworm Jim, MDK, Panzer General, IL-2 Sturmovik, Evolva.

I'm also tempted to say Half-Life but its already perfect, and Black Mesa is an excellent remake of the original.

I would like to see Capcom's Megaman Legends get redone, but, more inparticular, the spin off: the Misadventures of Tron Bonne...because I can't get an emulator to run it proper and copies of this fucker go for way too much:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Misadventures-of-Tron-Bonne-with-Megaman-Legends-Demo-Sony-PlayStation-1-2000-/231737774520?hash=item35f4a5d1b8:g:psAAAOSw5VFWNTLk

Aside from that, many of the great games from the PS2 era, I would love to see just get a minor facelift and put on modern hardware....it would be rad if Sony would release them for the Vita, but seeing as how that console was a major flop, pretty certain that will never happen.
Running any PS2 game in an emulator and forcing it to scale to 1080p and...wow, some of these PS2 games didn't actually look half bad once you add more pixels in. see FFXII - not bad looking at 1080p! (I'm certain Square will do an HD remake of that though, considering they did FFX not to long ago and FFVII is on the way)

P.S.
I get there are a lot of PS2 collections of some of the best selling PS2 games for the vita, but I would like to see less popular game series on the vita, such as Zone of the Enders, DMC, Xenosaga...

OH!!! and as an added bonus:
Would love a Beyond Good and Evil remake! At least we have the original version on GOG.

I have seen Final Fantasy 7 get a lot of love, Personally, I feel 8 was neglected and its time for a face lift.

I'm certain in due time we'll see Square remake or remaster all of the 3D FF games; they're just remaking them based on popularity.
Hopefully, with FF13 and all of it's atrocious spin offs and sequels, we'll see them put more FF games on the PC.

Amazing thing about PS1 games is that those textures are being divided by four, so what they just have to do is let it go loose, +larger resolution, +rebind keys.

1 Like

-nexus the Jupiter incident
rts space fleet game that actually gave you 3 dimensions allowing you to fly in any/every direction forever.
needs to be redone with better graphics/physics and allow people to do a galaxy conquest mode (think total war in space)

-age of mythology

-chrono trigger

-final fantasy 2

-radiata stories.
i loved the idea that nearly every npc in the game can become part of your party and you get to choose who will.

-pokemon only all regions/pokemon + a mmo accessible after you finish the storyline with actually good mechanics and end game content and group raids on dungeons and competitive battling ect...(yes i know about every fan made attempt and they arent even close)

-final fantasy tatics

-shin megami tensai nocturne (the one with dante from dmc in it)

-dwarf forrtress
seriously awesome game that millions will never play because the graphics and interface is so insanely difficult to learn.
and make it optional to play in mmo version where the world goes on forever in every direction and each new player is spawned X away from everyone and the rest of the world eventually finds you.

-lotr with chivalry style fighting and co op multi player enabled

-majesty

ofc all this on pc with way better graphics

Syphon Filter
Future cop
2 random ps games that i played WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much :D

I would love a remaster of Descent and Descent 2.

It was such a sad day when I got a new PC and I could not play these games anymore because the engine speed was tied to the fps, and that new PC was making like 500 fps, turning the game unplayable.

I'd like to see a remastered version of the Westwood C&C series. Plus, Generals (& Zero Hour), patched up to fix the bugs and bad scaling (whereby the game crashes when there are too many enemies for the game to handle).

Skies of Arcadia HD. Maybe a sequel too.

I like how I haven't heard about a lot of these games. Then again I am only 15 so I wasn't even around for them.

2 Likes

Now you've reminded me of another game I forgot to mention: Crimson Skies

Ratchet and Clank... Oh wait.
Shadow of the Colossus... Oh wait.
(At least they got those right.)

I'd love to see a remake of Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. There was a little hype for an HD remake by a modder (including ports to Linux and Mac), but it seems to have become vaporware. The source code of the game was released by Raven Software, so it's mostly just a matter of porting it. There's also OpenJK, but I think they have more of an emphasis on Jedi Academy than Jedi Outcast.

1 Like

Have you tried Gnomoria? I believe that was the name of it. I have played an alpha I believe a long long time ago, and it was fairly functional and complex for an Alpha version. I don't really know what is going on with it, but if they are still working on it, it should be really really mindblowingly complex and deep game by now...
It have really nice pixel art visuals, chiptune music, the gameplay is really nice... One of the few brick walls I was willing to bang my head on until it brakes... The other one is dark souls and so far the wall wins....

The KotOR games, specifically without content being cut in KotOR II.

Total Annihilation.
Spring does a lot of good but yeah it could use a professional touch, but it's modability and just awesome balance still make it the best RTS game ever to be made. Supreme Commander Forge Alliance comes close, but Planetary Annihilation shouldn't be even mentioned in the same post.

Geoff Crammond Grand Prix 2
It's sad to see how Codemasters butchers the license compared to what Microprose already did with GP2.

Yeah, the ending was like, "wait, what happened, no epilogue?" But I found the story in general to be much more captivating. KotOR has its big reveal with Revan, but I didn't like the whole "blow up the all-powerful space station" trope. I felt it was too similar to another space station.

There were conversions being worked on for both for Jedi Academy. They were both abandoned. The Dark Forces one (what they released of it) was excellent. I wish it was finished, but what they did took years.

MMOs allow you to do this, but I'm guessing you're not into them.

Yes! I tried to get System Shock to run, and it was unplayable. But again, I don't think one's first experience should be through a total conversion. You must experience the dated graphics with the excellent gameplay to really drive the message that gameplay is the most important factor in a good game.

I never heard of OpenJK, but since Raven released the source just before Lucas sold out to the dark side, it makes sense. Open source is the only way these games can have any playable longevity. I personally found Academy more fun, but Outcast had the better story and level design, due to forcing your abilities to develop on a preset path as you progressed. The swoop bike level in Academy was so much fun! And the Rancor trap...once I figured it out. It was really frustrating till then, but kind of hilarious at the same time.

Ugh, how do I use spoiler tags?
Yay, they work!