Wasabi Mango UHD400 40" 4k VA

I am dealing with returning this right now. I purchased a PP version off of NewEgg and it arrived with faint vertical lines across the whole screen. (Pictures posted a few posts up) and as I was trying to take pictures of the problem at the sellers request to authorize a return, I noticed a at least 4 dead pixels or small clusters of pixels. The seller has been relentless on trying to offer me money to keep the monitor. I've had to contact NewEgg 4 times to tell them that they will not offer me a return, only $50 to keep the damaged monitor. So good luck working with them, I ended up having to file a sellers complaint with a NE supervisor and they are now handling the return.

I went through a similar ordeal on Amazon.

Bought PP as described in the listing and it arrived with dead/stuck pixels and the seller said the amount I paid was for a standard pixel monitor and that Amazon mixed up his listings without notifying him (PP description, Standard Pixel Price - $10 difference). He stuck with this story for a week straight.

I told him he's full of shit and contacted Amazon who read our exchanges and on their own filed an A-Z stating that what he was saying about the listing was bogus

After filing the claim he offered me a $50 refund which I declined because honestly the QC on these is utter trash. Besides the bad pixels there were a half a dozen other problems so I sent it back. This is my 2nd and a friend's first all 3 of which had issues.

TBH I was once in the Korean monitor advocate list having owned so many but after seeing the quality difference between their D grade panels and the real thing, I'm finding the delta in price to be justified and as a result my Korean monitor journey has come to an end.

2 Likes

I have started to get issues relating to distortions even on the monitor's system level i.e. their menu is affected. I think the AD board is a bit dodgy (unreliable), only have been using it for 3 months with roughly ~5-8 hours a day of screen on time.

I brought it from accessorieswhole 3 months ago and I have contacted them for a replacement AD board. I trust they will give me a replacement AD board seeing how my previous interaction with them have been good.

Only had some vertical lines once when bugging system with many reboots. Powered the monitor off/on and it was fine.

Yeah, but this is starting to become a common occurence. Power it on and off via remote doesn't fix it and I have to pull the wall power plug, and wait about 5-10 seconds to fix this issue.

This has happened to me a few times as well. I also had to do a hard reset, I mean, disconnecting it from the outlet for a few seconds. I'm also concerned that this is a hardware issue that will develop over time, not just some unlikely software glitch. Did you try updating the firmware?

(By the way, there is another thread dedicated to this monitor. I noticed a while ago that my monitor suffers from a PWM issue even on static images at 100% for "color bypass" set to "off." It would be great if you could comment if yours suffers too. Thanks!)

That's what I feared too, this never happened when I first got the monitor. It has started to occur more often now. Accessorieswhole offered to replace my AD board, but I have to pull apart the one I'm using and send it to them before they will send me a replacement. This means I will not be able to use my monitor for a month if both parties send via normal parcel ~2 weeks to Korea from Australia and vice versa. The other option is that I pay $60 USD to get a replacement board sent first and they will apparently refund when they receive my faulty board.

About the PWM issue, I don't have the "rolling lines" or notice any PWM if I set my monitor to 100% brightness. I have colour bypass set to off as well.

Edit:
I had a look at the other post you did about the xterm scrollbar issue. I actually have the same issue as you.

I bought mine from the same seller but more than half year ago. Please post updates on the display issue.

I had a look at the other post you did about the xterm scrollbar issue. I actually have the same issue as you.

Thanks! Good to know it's not just my monitor! This shows that the PWM claim is very inflated.

I'm still waiting on the seller's response. In the end I decided to buy another AD board, as postage from Australia to South Korea would be around ~$35AUD (~$30USD) with insurance and tracking included. That's pretty much half the cost I would've had to pay anyhow ($60USD for a new AD board), so I asked the seller to sell me the AD board at a discounted price ($30USD), which is fair and it would save us both time and hassle of shipping items. Seeing that the seller planned to give me a free board anyhow if I shipped back my one old, I don't think this should be an issue to AccessoriesWhole.

It's good to know that replacing the AD board is an option. I hope this is not too difficult to do…

The seller actually wants $110USD for a new AD board. It's free if you ship back your own AD board, I'm still making up my mind if want to send back my old AD board or not. Should I risk it and keep using my existing AD board? Or exchange it for a new one knowing it may be a firmware bug....

So I just tried out my new UHD400 and I really like it, and have these observations:

• at these 40 inch viewing distance should be at least 80cm to get a good overview, which makes seeing things at 100% dpi kind of hard
  • gamma isn't quite perfect, i can't discern the dark blues or the high greens as good as i would like
  • i couldn't select 60hz at 4k in the nvidia control panel, i had to create a profile myself which required some fiddling to get ycbcr444 working (and im not entirely sure if it is now, anyone got a test?)
  • gtg response time is quite fine, but dark to light is meh - hint: disable smooth scrolling and avoid moving your camera when looking at signs in minecraft
  • i'm really looking forward to using linux to use all this real estate with a proper window manager, because aligning windows in windows (<.<) is kind of a pain in the arse right now
  • default contrast was a bit low, blue's were much too high (adjust red and green accordingly), otherwise the factory settings were fine for me
  • if i ever have the money i'm going for an IPS panel instead, their brilliance is just a thing of beauty

Also, I ordered from 7DaysDirect from Amazon, which was an insanely pleasant and professional experience.

1 Like

@S3thc0n Thanks for sharing your experience! If you find some nice settings for which you get better colors, please share them. Personally, I don't have any tool for calibrating.

I've been using it with i3 and it's been fun despite all its imperfections.

7DaysDirect on ebay actually, only asked for $50 bucks for a new AD board.... But it did not fit my UHD400. Seems UHD400 has gone through several revisions since I received mine. Do you have a picture of the AD board you currently have?

Hey guys i just picked up one of these and this might sound silly but i can't figure out how to get into the display menus.... There is no remote in the package and pushing on the M/S/arrow/speaker text or beneath is simply doesn't work. Where are the buttons? =(

Did you turn it on?

I have one, if that isnt it... dead?

If its got power could be a loose cable

There are buttons at the bottom slightly away from the edge. Look under your monitor. The button corresponding to M opens the menu.

oh you're right I wasn't reading closely enough

So I did some direct comparisons and for me turning the Response Time setting to ON improved things quite a bit. While the total response time doesn't seem to be reduced, it gets out of the dark colors a lot faster, which makes it dramatically less noticeable if you're not explicitly looking for the effect.

I think we need some large displays with high refresh rates. Sure the kids can make out text of a 4K display thats 24-30 inches but I cant and dont want to. DPI scaling is not the answer. I want good old 1:1 and at a size that makes sence so I can use it. All I need now is a decent refresh rate with freesync and im in. Decent in like 120-140Hz max. If your Nvidia then fine Gsync module tom foolery

1 Like