[Update 5-25-18] The Harvest has Begun! YouTube takes down channel for gun content

The L1 project of the month august or september should be a cloud-based app that just notifies you when things happen. Youtube channels, posts to rss feeds, etc. Literally just a big 'ol app that does nothing but let you setup how you want to be notified when stuff happens.

It would just be a glorified RSS crawler. We could do emails, push notifications and just a nice looking web page/list and let the users pick how they want to be notified and through what medium.

I’m visualizing a table

url to watch Email? Push Notifications? Slack? Twitter? Something else?
Level1 N Y N N N?
Level1 Linux D N N N N?
Hikock 45 D N N N N?

Where Y is ASAP, N is no and D is Digest where a Digest is a daily or weekly (you configure) digest that aggregates everything in the D column so you can just click on stuff.

Want a daily push notification of all that has changed in your realm at 5:30 pm EDT? You got it.

I could bang this out in a weekend. Probably a forum voulnteer could to. In cloud hosted Go Lang with some sort of cloud database. Because it’s got webscale or whatever.

We just stop relying on youtube to do anything but host stuff and run ads. And people can easily and with no BS change how and when they want to be notified (and of what).

It’d probably go viral just from the sheer egotistical way we’d present it “sup googz we fixed you shit for you plz dont cut off our access to your rss feeds k thx bai”

10 Likes

1000X this.

Might be worth making a new thread for that.

1 Like

I would switch in a heartbeat but most of the creators I watch don’t post to anywhere besides YouTube.

Yes you have.

1 Like

YouTube goes where the money is. And just because a very vocal group in the US loves their weapons does not mean YouTube has to do anything to cater to them. If Google grew tired of it, the service would just be gone tomorrow.

There are sites like https://d.tube or https://www.bitchute.com that could be used to avoid some of the problems that come with using a service provided by a publicly traded company. As is, we got a chicken and egg problem: The content creators are where the viewers are and the viewsers go where the content creators are. Noone moves, everything stays the same.

1 Like

But they’re catering to very vocal group who does not like them. I’m sure the vast majority of people don’t give a shit either way as long as they can watch cute cat videos.

3 Likes

Singularity computers showed it once. “What are they going to do? Take a away my monthly coffee?” ~16 australian dollars are a joke for 15 to 20k views.

2 Likes

Another option would be better filters. Then users could just hide certain keywords (or tags, whatever) and be done. But the search on YouTube is worse than AltaVista

2 Likes

What we’re seeing is very small groups REEEEing on both sides and YT and the like fearing being dragged into the latest outrage hashtag. Heck YT’s new gun content policy is clear as mud, you should check it out if you want to have a laugh.

This may be me growing up in Germany (strict gun laws) but I totally get where they are coming from. Cater to most of the world except their home turf is the better business decision.

1 Like

Well, it basically says no guns allowed. End of transmission. Pretty easy to me.

1 Like

Advertising just gets you demonetised, for his channel to have been removed it would have to have been given multiple strikes of any of the multiple reasons that you can strike a channel. Or someone deemed it completely inappropriate and just removed it.

YouTube keep is publicly available but quite well hidden, that a lot of the sjw / content blocking and channel trikes are managed by various NGOs, as well as governments and the public (you can apply). They used to be more clear on who’s these NGOs were by listing a limited and incomplete list but I can’t find that page anymore.

Instead they have this page https://transparencyreport.google.com/youtube-policy/overview?hl=en_GB

If I find the old page I’ll post it, the NGOs included but we’re not limited to organisations whose purpose was to target what they deemed as harmful content and ‘hate’ speech. They had at the time 3 or 4 listed though made it clear that the list was never public and there were many more. They’re goals were similar but none had a consistent explanation of what defined ‘hate speech’.

This is part of their “trusted flaggers” program. It’s made up of a relatively large number of NGOs whose goals on the platform are unknown except for the few hate speech and harmful content ones; government agencies who are undisclosed; and individuals who are undisclosed.

Ads are not the reason his channel disappeared, it’s likely the organisations who decided his content wasn’t appropriate.

1 Like

Just as a sort of side note, I would be very interested in something like this. This week I’m actually trying to not watch any YouTube. I’ve realized I’m essentially addicted and I want to try to cut back. A tool to aggregate my subscriptions in such a way so I can check it once or twice a week would be extremely helpful.

1 Like

But the rest of the world doesn’t really care, the German government isn’t decrying these videos as dangerous (except when Ian used a Nazi flag in a thumbnail for a Nazi pistol) and I’m sure YT has no qualms about making entire categories “not available in your region” if pressured. The funny thing is Bloke is a British man living in Switzerland abiding Swiss firearms laws, he’s not some redneck shooting trucks full of explosives for the camera.

2 Likes

Found the NGOs that they have publicly listed

Over the past weeks, we have begun working with more than 15 additional expert NGOs and institutions through our Trusted Flagger program, including the Anti-Defamation League, the No Hate Speech Movement, and the Institute for Strategic Dialogue. These organizations bring expert knowledge of complex issues like hate speech, radicalization, and terrorism that will help us better identify content that is being used to radicalize and recruit extremists. We will also regularly consult these experts as we update our policies to reflect new trends. And we’ll continue to add more organizations to our network of advisors over time

1 Like

That’s some great doublespeak lol

3 Likes

This is not about government, it is about the personal interest of potential customers/users.

1 Like

That’s disappointing. I understand why, but still disappointed.

Oh god, that list is complete bullshit.

3 Likes

Government are in their list of trusted flaggers, so government are allowed to flag and attempt to remove content.

Their top 10 countries of trusted flaggs does make you sit for a second and think imo.

Rank Country
1 India
2 United States
3 Brazil
4 Russia
5 Germany
6 United Kingdom
7 Mexico
8 Turkey
9 Indonesia
10 Saudi Arabia
2 Likes

Ah sorry, well advertisers already have control over what content their ads are put on, the ones on gun channel are cringy as fuck (fear mongering nra crap), and a channel is taken down for violating community guidelines not AdSense guidelines.