TrueNAS Scale: Ultimate Home Setup incl. Tailscale

for me using the gui broke access to the web gui, but if it works for you, then great, you can try that first. just know that if it messes up you’ll be fixing it at the console.

Hi Wendell, thanks, that was fast and helpful. If the potential consequence is that you were not able access the GUI then it makes more sense just to adhere to your guide and make the change in the console to being with.

thanks again,

Shalin

I too have been stuck with the permissions for quite a while with workarounds to deploy containers properly. I’m not sure if it’s a newer version of TrueNAS Scale or what but below is what worked for me finally.

Instead of setting the sections Maproot User and Maproot Group > use the option below Mapall User and Mapall Group both set to root. Once I did that I was able to deploy containers without workarounds and it just simply worked as expected. The Maproot User and Maproot Group I left blank, though it did give grief several times about “can’t be blank” it eventually took.

So, I cannot get debian to remount on boot. Is there any downside to just creating another zvol for data, instead of a share folder?

Sine I’m still new to TrueNAS and ZFS I was wondering if there are any recommendations regarding maintenance.

To be more specific, I’m talking about:

• S.M.A.R.T. scan
  • Scrub tasks
  • Snapshots

Hi all,
I have followed Wendell’s post to the letter and after quite some time (and by learning lots of stuff) I managed to make everything work…except for one thing. I cannot access other devices on my subnet (192.168.1.0/24)

This was exactly where I hit a brick wall as well. The only thing that finally worked for me is just installing tailscale directly inside the debian vm instead of docker.

I’m very new to all this. What am I missing out on by running tailscale directly in the vm instead of in a docker container? Anything?

Just a suggestion, you can try my method to do this, link is here:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this! great solution

It’s because Docker is starting on boot before the NFS share is mounted. I had the same.

So the manual way of applying the acs_override patch is now obsolete? There is no longer any need to use the acs_override kernel patch like we used to do to breakout all the hardware into individual groups prior to hardware passthrough?

After a reboot the nfs share wont mount. The mount -a command gives me an error, “Operation not permitted”. I have added the share to the fstab. I can mount the share when i am sudo but I would like to fix this workaround. Thank you.

Edit: I have gotten the mount to persist after a reboot but now docker wont install any files in the directory. I can touch to the mounted directory and I see it in the TrueNAS shell. The container will be stuck restarting whenever I try to run the docker command to install portainer. Nothing will show up in the portainer_data folder as well.

I’ve tried to create debian VM on truenas scale using UEFI settings. I’ve added boot option and it was working until i rebooted Truenas host. After that bot option was missing again.
Is there a way to setup debian VM that will survive restart and will boot normally or do i have to go with legacy boot?

EDIT: was able to solve it doing expert install and forcing grub installation when asked, and its working on UEFI boot :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for this guide! But An issue I was having is even after doing the network fix that you talked about I still had to set the default gateway and add 2 name servers 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
Did I miss something about this? Is it rare that I have to do these steps? Both my installs of TrueNas Scale required this.
Thanks for any insight on this issue.

Good catch. the guide is getting a little old and I need to revisit.

Be careful goo as when you update you’ll get a warning that truenas needs to install their apps. This will clobber your normal docker install so don’t do it. Or just be aware of it.

1 Like

Sorry can you elaborate? Are you talking about the recent TrueNas Scale update that broke a bunch of things with TrueCharts? If you are, from what I read this effects you more if you are not using hostpaths right?
I don’t have much installed right now on my server. Ubuntu VM for plex then the official charts of homebridge and nextcloud. The only TrueCharts I have is kavita and I think/hope it’s gonna be ok but I haven’t done that update yet.

Hey, I just want to mention, on the post for the guide I created after this one, multiple people have posted that they were able to update with nothing breaking and no need for any action on their part.

@tetsujinxliv
If you wish, you can look at that guide here:

2 Likes

If you are planning on doing an updated guide can you please make it a walkthrough. I would love a video showing the full process and command line. I would like to see you be through since there is a lot of small thing that you miss out on through audio that would help someone inexperienced tremendously. If you could, please also list out common errors and ways to fix them. Thank you

Edit: I would also appreciate if you could include how to add a domain for all of the services. A domain thats local but also has https certificates. I appreciate your time and consideration. Thanks again Wendell.

Edit 2: Sorry to keep adding to the list, but if you could also show how to set up a dockerized mariadb/mysql database for all of the services and containers. Also how to manage the database and best practices for security. Thank you.

6 Likes

I deleted the above post. I figured out my problem with getting nextcloud installed. The dockerhub nextcloud official image has a compose file with an extra command and newer db version that worked for me.

If any of you are able to get to the install web interface but it refuses to connect to the db, try the dockerhub compose file! It is nearly identical, you will need to change the volume locations to match the one given here.

Do you think headscale is there yet in terms of a open source hostable tailscale auth server?

Or is it simply too painful rn?

Too painful rn and I really don’t mind how tailscale works now that I understand it. It’s not unreasonable

1 Like