The Work From Home (WFH) Thread

[REDACTED] My dumbass left my email up…

Y’all’s desks are well too cluttered. This is my poor machine that’s put up with my torture for ~6 years.

6 Likes

I can’t put my finger on it but I really dig the screen setup, and its overall clean but not over-the-top “built” like its supposed to be in a RandomFrankP vid.

I think it’s that no two displays are the same?

Kinda functional like “I had this monitor, it worked well, so when I bought this better monitor, I kept the original.” got a bit out of hand and now he’s got 4.

1 Like

Pretty much. The portrait monitor is the original. The right and top ones were gifts/hand-me-downs. And eventually I bought the center 1440p as the center piece.

It’s very much evolved over these 6 years.

1 Like

And strangely I like this lack of symmetry when I usually like symmetry. Usuall lack of symmetry looks just like you said, and it looks bad cause its clearly just thrown to togehter- but this setup almost feels like it was all evaluated and built up that way for use-case. I donno, I guess just very well mounted so it doesn’t look so “I have a jbod of monitors all at funky heights and offsets” look.

2 Likes

I started to remove the 2nd monitor and mouse from my desk after working hours. It helps me to mentally detach for the rest of the day.

3 Likes

I usually go for a run or walk after I stop working at 16:00, works surprisingly well to get mind away of work related stuff. :slight_smile:

That’s great. I should totally add this to my regimen.

I fortunately have a dog, so I walk him right before work but afterwards it’s the soon-to-be wife’s privilege :smiley:

1 Like

“You still run?”

“Only when chased.”

2 Likes

I’m always being chased by my bad decisions, so I run good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Context:. I live and work near LAX

So a number of co-workers and I have joked of this, but now legit research:

Around December it seemed like something crashed right through work, knocking a bunch of us our our ass, some co-workers texted it was the worst. I was stuck in bed for a few days (even with the flu I will at least drag over to the coach and YouTube). I would have weird caughing spells. This wasn’t the usual seasonal as we already had that run through the company, this was a second wave heavy hitter (and I had the flu shot too). And strangely some people just wouldn’t catch it or just have been asymptomatic.

I’m not trying to be Infowars about this but I have a suspicion I’m now already immune…

1 Like

IDK if I buy that

China is tracked to November 1st cases so still China virus.

Also Cali is way less dense then NYC. (NYC is more then double)

1 Like

The article does not suggest it’s from here and I’m not saying it started here, but that it had an express passage to LA. Still does not explain New York, it should hit both places around the same time. Then again how many Wuhan tourists want to go to New York in December? LA is great in December.

Speaking of that last time I was in Hawaii there was tons of Chinese tourists… And I got sick AF there too, so bad my supervisor had me stay in my room.

Traveling to epicenters of travel just sucks…

I could visit Cali, could never live there, to much state gov in the wrong ways.

1 Like

Its the dense areas- in which case everywhere sucks, East Coast, Left Coast etc- yes. And the huge flights out of California when people retire continues to this day- but this is from the dense regions. Get out of the dense areas and its really nice and the ‘laws’ mean a lot less. Ultimately I have to be where the work I enjoy is.

But to each his own, there are people that love living in New York city. When I lived in Japan I loved being in BFE Sasebo but other people wanted to be in Tokyo really bad. Meh.

If you do visit, hit me up. I offer safe passage and whiskey.

I was there once on my way over to New Zealand, was nice but only there 1 day (layover). Could 100% visit, but even living in DC metro area prices and laws over there (guns/emmission etc) are just too crazy.

I was a sport compact car guy, I HATED the emissions laws, but I appreciate them now. The air looks much better (even pre-COVID) than when I was a kid. In CA’s defense CARB was a necessary evil (specifically for Los Angeles because of how the mountains are, it traps all the smog in). But in typical CA fashion CARB is so bloated and fascist, there was no real way a small business could imagine getting through the process. Same with engine swaps and the BAR, its more feasible but IMO still too restrictive.

I hear New Zealand is great. I haven’t been, but I’ve been to Australia a lot, the land of our very helpful pfsense guru @Dexter_Kane and love it there.

1 Like

Hanson thinks the outbreak likely started much sooner than late December of last year, when China says the outbreak began in Wuhan, and that Californians developed some degree of herd immunity through earlier exposure the virus than the rest of the country.

Makes sense. Have you ever been to a UC school?

No, same. I had a rough week about a month back with the exact symptoms of “mild” beer flu.

2 Likes

If you don’t like overbearing governments then Australia is not the place to be right now. It was always something of a nanny state here but now it’s crazy. In WA the first couple of days of the state government having emergency powers and they restrict the sale of alcohol (I work in a winery, so that’s somewhat concerning) and ban the sale of guns and ammunition. The police just suddenly have surveillance drones now and they’re using cellular data to tack everyone. It’s great.

2 Likes

sucks to hear. A buddy in Brisbane has been telling me for the last number of years the cops have gone militant on car culture (mods, speeding etc).