The small linux problem thread

With so many here running Fedora 28, could you verify if the “updates available” icon (dnfdragora box) shows up consistently in the notification area when there are updates?

For me, this happens only once after a fresh boot. If I then close the icon (doesn’t disappear on its own if updates are installed from terminal), it never appears again until I reboot.

I check and install updates from the terminal since that feels faster, but I still like to have the visual cue when there are updates. I’m using MATE if it matters.

You’d need to look up the documentation I think. With gnome software for example this will show periodically when there are updates, but not just from dnf but for flatpaks and firmware updates (where supported) as well. Dnf alone won’t catch all these.

So gnome software may still show updates available even if you’ve updated dnf as itay show firmware or flatpaks updates.

Dnfdragona you’ll need to check what it’s actual functionality is.

We’re talking about the yellow cube icon that is the same as dnfdragora’s icon, yes?

It remains even when opening it shows no updates to install.

And the main issue is it never shows up again after being closed once, until a reboot.

@Synchronus, @Eden

Thank you so much.

I am now running with:

[colesdav@Unknown-10-c3-7b-6c-27-d2 ~]$ glxinfo | grep “OpenGL version”
OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.2.0-rc4
[colesdav@Unknown-10-c3-7b-6c-27-d2 ~]$

I will get on with Plays Beta Testing, on Fedora 28, with these drivers.

Bye.

This is a weird problem that I’ve found in Ubuntu 18.04 since I installed the last update from software manager. Now any drive that is ntfs will randomly unmount for about 30 seconds and remount. There’s no pattern. I’m not doing anything but looking around on the web, or watching YouTube vids, or on these forums. But randomly I’ll look on my desktop, and the drive icons will suddenly vanish and I’ll get a popup on the top bar that says that I’ve lost one of my windows drives. And a split second after that, the other ntfs drive will drop. And 30 seconds later, they’ll be back. For a random amount of time. Could this hurt my ntfs drives?

Hopefully there’s nothing wrong posting this here. Basically I’m having a weird issue with one of my disc drives and Ubuntu 18.04. Not sure if it’s Linux, SATA controllers, or the drive itself.

Any input is appreciated.

Hello, I have a problem setting up offlineimap :tired_face:. Here is what’s wrong:

Account sync gmail:
*** Processing account gmail
Establishing connection to imap.gmail.com:993 (gmail-remote)
ERROR: Unknown SSL protocol connecting to host 'imap.gmail.com' for repository 'gmail-remote'. OpenSSL responded:
[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:726) *** Finished account 'gmail' in 0:00

Testing with openssl s_client -connect imap.gmail.com:993 gives
SSL handshake has read 2954 bytes and written 391 bytes
Verification: OK
So I guess everything is alright in that front.
Reading around only found a link to SO but that was relevant to Python 2.7 in homebrew, I’m on Debian Sid.

For reference, here is the relevant part of my .offlineimaprc

.offlineimaprc

[general]
accounts = gmail
starttls = yes
ssl = yes
pythonfile = ~/.config/mutt/credentials/imappwd.py

[Account gmail]
localrepository = gmail-local
remoterepository = gmail-remote

[Repository gmail-remote]
auth_mechanisms = LOGIN
type = Gmail
remoteuser = [REDACTED]@gmail.com
remotepasseval = mailpasswd("gmail")
remoteport = 993
folderfilter = lambda foldername: foldername not in ['[Gmail]/All Mail']
sslcacertfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

And, for additional information, it seems like if I change the ssl and starttls lines to no, it still verifies the certificate, and if it remove the sslcacertfile line it just complains that there’s no use to having SSL on (even though ssl = no)

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again. I ran a software update and I now have the following drivers installed:

OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.0-devel

I just tested Doom 2016 Vulkan and it gives 3FPS … OpenGL gives around 25.

Do you know the correct way to get back to running the Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers?

I tried various dnf commands but failed.

This might be a problem with Vulkan performance on the Mesa Drivers and Vulkan though.

I note, for example, that Wolfenstein: The New Colossus only manages ~ 10 FPS.

Any help you could give me to help me try to roll back to Mesa 18.2.0-rc4 drivers quickly would help me push on with testing this quickly.

As a cross check I will go and install Wolfenstein: The New Colossus on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / AMDGPU/PRO installation and see how that performs in the meantime. It looks like the MESA Vulkan performance is very poor. It looks like something is broken.

Thanks again.

If the package is available

dnf downgrade package-name-version

you can see available versions with dnf --showduplicates list package-name

you can block a package from upgrading with dnf install package-names/update --exclude=package-name

you can install a spcific version with dnf install package-name-version

1 Like

In Fedora, how can the preferred/default compiler be set if both GCC and Clang are installed?

There not the same commands. you can set the default gcc via the gcc commands, you can set the defautl clang (presumably) through the clang commands.

Hmm ok, thanks. When I ran a phoronix benchmark, the system info for my run mentioned Clang + LLVM, while the reference from the article used GCC. I’d want to use the same for apples to apples comparison. Any idea how to have phoronix test suite use a given compiler?

Is it possible to have the drop down terminal gnome extension to appear right of the dock instead of under it? Currently its width is the whole screen meaning some of it is under the dock.

I don’t really know how does that benchmark works, but a quick glance to the github repo shows that the test suite is written almost entirely in PHP, so the compiler shouldn’t have too much to do with it. Now, what part of the “system info” showed Clang + LLVM? The only thing I can imagine would be that the PHP interpreter was built using Clang, and I kinda doubt that.

Just wondering tho, do you have the CC environment variable set?

Turns out phoronix sees GCC if I remove /usr/lib64/ccache from my PATH. Not sure why. I did not manually add that, so I thought it’s set by default on Fedora.

I don’t have CC set in the environment variables. I had to use env MPI_CC=[...] MPI_PATH=[...] etc when installing some tests that use MPI or BLAS.

1 Like

Could others using Fedora 28 post their PATH and confirm whether ccache is installed by default?

I can not get Doom to load with SteamPlay.

I have deleted and re-downloaded the game but it won’t even open. It says “syncing” for about 5 seconds and then nothing at all.

Using an AMD R9 290 with stock Linux drivers. I have followed the Steam wiki and updated Mesa etc

Still got you bookmarked, fam. Just haven’t used the Debian workstation all week :frowning:

Will get to it this weekend and report my SUCCESS.

1 Like

What do the logs look like?
what does ulimit -Hn return?

Hi -

I find all other operating systems inferior to Linux. Therefore, every time I buy a new laptop I immediately wipe the OS and install Linux, rendering the machine useless for my wife to use - instantaneously.

I even bought a Mac, because Linux has such horrible wifi support, just to have a unix OS with a decent shell that can reliably connect to wifi… - and I still launch the OS and immediately open a Linux VM and get to work.

Wife asking too many questions - I <3 Linux… what do?

HALP!