Disc Drive Issues Ubuntu 18.04

To start off I have 3 disc drives currently connected to my Plex server running a script called ARMI’m having nothing but issues my 5.25" SATA Bluray drive. A portable USB one works just fine and other 5.25" DVD might be dying of old age.

I bought the Bluray drive new in April, it worked for a while, but would rarely intermittently disappear from /dev/ and occasionally cause the entire system to hang. Most of the time when the system came back up it wouldn’t even detect the drive. Running dmesg | grep dvd wouldn’t pull up any log. Searching dmesg | grep sata for information pulls up something like this:

[    3.612519] ata6: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    3.614748] ata6.00: failed to IDENTIFY (device reports invalid type, err_mask=0x0)

I’ve tried different SATA cables, different power cables, putting it on my 3 different SATA controllers, putting them on different ports on each SATA controller. This happens with every one of them.

My BIOS sees all 3 disc drives so it’s making me think it’s a Linux-related issue.
I saw someone with a similar issue here and they list their workaround as disabling IOMMU in the BIOS, disabling that doesn’t appear to do anything.

lshw.txt (31.4 KB)
dmesg-grep-ata.txt (4.7 KB)

I’m still learning my way around Linux, and I’m not really sure where to go next.