The small linux problem thread

There not the same commands. you can set the default gcc via the gcc commands, you can set the defautl clang (presumably) through the clang commands.

Hmm ok, thanks. When I ran a phoronix benchmark, the system info for my run mentioned Clang + LLVM, while the reference from the article used GCC. Iā€™d want to use the same for apples to apples comparison. Any idea how to have phoronix test suite use a given compiler?

Is it possible to have the drop down terminal gnome extension to appear right of the dock instead of under it? Currently its width is the whole screen meaning some of it is under the dock.

I donā€™t really know how does that benchmark works, but a quick glance to the github repo shows that the test suite is written almost entirely in PHP, so the compiler shouldnā€™t have too much to do with it. Now, what part of the ā€œsystem infoā€ showed Clang + LLVM? The only thing I can imagine would be that the PHP interpreter was built using Clang, and I kinda doubt that.

Just wondering tho, do you have the CC environment variable set?

Turns out phoronix sees GCC if I remove /usr/lib64/ccache from my PATH. Not sure why. I did not manually add that, so I thought itā€™s set by default on Fedora.

I donā€™t have CC set in the environment variables. I had to use env MPI_CC=[...] MPI_PATH=[...] etc when installing some tests that use MPI or BLAS.

1 Like

Could others using Fedora 28 post their PATH and confirm whether ccache is installed by default?

I can not get Doom to load with SteamPlay.

I have deleted and re-downloaded the game but it wonā€™t even open. It says ā€œsyncingā€ for about 5 seconds and then nothing at all.

Using an AMD R9 290 with stock Linux drivers. I have followed the Steam wiki and updated Mesa etc

Still got you bookmarked, fam. Just havenā€™t used the Debian workstation all week :frowning:

Will get to it this weekend and report my SUCCESS.

1 Like

What do the logs look like?
what does ulimit -Hn return?

Hi -

I find all other operating systems inferior to Linux. Therefore, every time I buy a new laptop I immediately wipe the OS and install Linux, rendering the machine useless for my wife to use - instantaneously.

I even bought a Mac, because Linux has such horrible wifi support, just to have a unix OS with a decent shell that can reliably connect to wifiā€¦ - and I still launch the OS and immediately open a Linux VM and get to work.

Wife asking too many questions - I <3 Linuxā€¦ what do?

HALP!

Nani?

1 Like

have you considered divorce?

Mac theme on Linux, she wonā€™t notice unless sheā€™s using the machine.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦

Stop using VMs. Go to a Pawn Shop or used electronics store and buy a $60 computer. Install something with XFCE or Mate on it. Use that for yourself and let your wife enjoy life.

1 Like

Chromebook!

2 Likes

Found something annoying by just randomly tailing logs. Tailed var/log/user.log and found that every 5 seconds this pops up:
kali conky.destop[1442]: sh: 1: /usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check: not found
Not finding in google how to turn this off- is this because I cloned something from git and did not also add to repo?

thank you very much for the reply. it is now resuming from sleep but I donā€™t recall exactly what I did to fix it :frowning:
BTW Iā€™m using AMD HD-7950 and I have a dedicated SSD for Ubuntu.

Alright, so, Iā€™m just going to try this on a virtual machine.

The TL;DR of it is that issues that have plagued me (personally) for years are still plaguing me.

The long of it is, I have to get shit done :man_shrugging: ā€“ Iā€™m at an insanely productive period in my life right now. I canā€™t afford to unlock my computer and have the keyboard not work. Or the mouse work, but it not accept clicks. Or maybe the computer is just frozen, what do I know? When I do a major update (Fedora) and reboot, the KDE frowny face happens and I have to manually reboot. When I go to mount drives in /etc/fstab, I get randomly asked for a password. When I run several editors, terminals, and an IDE I sometimes get told that my terminal session is not responded I need to Force Quit or Wait,

I see posts like this all the time about Windows. Maybe Iā€™m just some computer mastermind or maybe Iā€™m really lucky, but this never happens to me :man_shrugging: It seems the only time this kind of stuff does happen to me is on broken production Linux systems. Gnome, KDE, XFCE (probably the worst multimonitor support Iā€™ve ever experienced), it doesnā€™t matter.

Taking yet another break from Linux. I have too much to do that when something as basic as unlocking my computer fails I have no choice but to rip everything Linux off of my hard drives. Iā€™ll keep a few servers around but, yet again, it fails as a desktop (for me).

Yeah, no idear man. Still not working :man_shrugging:

bash: vim: command not found

Not sure why it works on every other distro except Debian.

Appreciate the help. Iā€™m just going to rock VS Code and WSL for now.

You know VS Code is native on Linux as well, right?

1 Like