The Ryzen 1800X: AMD's Brand New Flagship

Is it badass? It's pretty bad ass. My full review is linked below:

First off, specs of the CPU:

Overclocking of the CPU:
Pretty low ceiling of 4.2-4.5 if you are lucky, I personally sat around 4 ghz with XFR enabled on air cooling. However, every single mhz you can get makes a MASSIVE difference in performance.

3.9 Ghz CPUz:

4 Ghz CPUz:

Next the things everyone cares about: performance.

The blender test that was origianlly run at New Horizon, now run on my 1800X at 3.9 Ghz:

Next up:
Cinebench r15.
Stock is right around where AMD said, in the 1590-1600 range.

4 Ghz hits an insane 1724. This is an 8 core at 4 ghz.

3dmark Firstrike with a r9 390 nitro:

So that is some of my testing so far, most of the rest it is in the above article.
Thoughts? Comments? Have a bench you want me to run? Let me know :D

24 Likes

My prediction was correct

25 Likes

Welcome back AyyyMD

5 Likes

WTF 2325 cpuz single thread?!?

I'm blown away

2 Likes

I might be making a good amount of money today.

I can't wait for the stock market to open.

9 Likes

holy shit...

The Athlon X2 has returned.

3 Likes

I'm watching the R7 1800X review from OC3D right now. Exciting stuff.

2 Likes

So It does more then the 8370, but at a giga hertz less.

specifically
it's two-three times as fast as the 8370
even a 5ghz 8370 it's sometimes double the speed of
lol

2 Likes

So the TLDR I get from the reviews so far is.. Intel if your gaming, Ryzen if your using Multi-threaded applications? Glad to see the market getting on fire again!

1 Like

no.. well kinda
there is one single application where the 7700k is better
and that is when overclocked to 5 ghz because the single thread at that point is higher
otherwise... 1800x is better in every regard.

8 Likes

What's your overclocking experience? Did the turbo benefited from bigger tower cooling or AIO?

Basically... for anything over 4 Ghz on all cores and you are going to need some epic cooling to keep the thing cool.

My air cooler can just barely handle 4 ghz, and it is an enermax t40
AIO... idk yet. have to get a mounting kit for my AIOs to work.

Actually doing the overclocking is the easist thing i have ever done lol, just set the target speed in the BIOS, set the volts so it doesn crash, and boom.

2 Likes

There was talk all over the technology news sites before launch that the Ryzen was suffering in 3D results. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth about how it wont be any good for gaming, how the single core performance isn't a match for the Intel's so you'll be really disappointed if you plan to game on it. Blah blah blah. That's why we test first, then tell you what we think, rather than regurgitate 3rd hand news like a cow chewing its way through the fourth stomachs worth of cud. We bring you accurate findings, all other websites are left with a mouth full of sick and a guilty look for having plagiarised each other.

:) hilarious

4 Likes

looks like in real world gaming benchmarks it does clearly fall way behind. In synthetics its a beast though. Also AMD's hyperthreading appears to be gimping its performance in a lot of games.

Has anyone found a 1700x review ?

ty :)

:D

welcome.

I have not watched it, so it may be crap. :P

I would classify Enermax t40 as an average tower size cooler though, I meant tower coolers like NH-D14/15.