The RYZEN 1000 Thread! Summit Ridge - General Discussion

I feel you Crimson...I'm an impatient bastard.....Hurry the fuck up earth...spin faster.

2 Likes

Cpuz bench said 2159, my 4.9ghz 4790k did 2200...

What the duck. Everyone clicked your English link but they didnt click my Thai link. What's wrong with people. Thailivesmatter.

/s

4 Likes
1 Like

There is still much to learn and test on Ryzen but I'm honestly more concerned with what AMD is now going to do for generations to come. I really hope they don't repeat history like Bulldozer.

i guess i forgot to link this thread here earlier lol oops

still.

I don't understand why everyone is benching CPUs with games. That's dumb. If you want your game run better you get a fast graphics card and not CPU.

1 Like

They're catering to their audience. There should be some reviews that will give productivity benches as well.

They're good for sapping motivation from the company to ship their new product on time? Why should we have to when we have all this money promised to us for vaporware?

...Not going to happen.

1 Like

with high enough frame rates,, CPUs will often bottleneck games. A hardcore FPS player often wants FPS of at least 150. A CPU can be a major factor in that. I agree though that looking at different gaming benchmarks and like, omg, this one averaged 53fps and this one averaged 54fps with this cpu, so clearly this cpu is better for gaming, is stupid.

It is basically broadwell IPC ... as expected. That on anything faster than 3GHz is fast enough for me. Joker managed to get his 1700 to 3.9GHz and it didn't even get hot. He might have gotten a unicorn but if that is the norm .... holy shit!

I hope this is true, seems like my NH-D15 will be overkill for that chip, his numbers show the 1700 being cooler than my 4690k on the NH-D15 but apparently software based temperature sensors are not working correctly so the temps may not be completely accurate.

This is another thing that bothers me. A human eye can't see difference in motion at 60FPS and beyond. So the goal should be to have your game run at minimum of 60fps at all times but anything beyond that is pointless as your eyes just can't see it. Playing games at 150 is not going to improve add any more enjoyment to your gaming experience. They are all wasting their money.

the 1800X is above broad well, but below skylake/kaby in IPC.
so.. good. but not insane.
The multi core though holy shit.

The plan for me is to play games on linux and recording that using OBS on the same system. So I need decent IPC and a few extra cores. And so far I don't see anything getting in the way of ryzen to do exactly that.

1 Like

lmao, there are still people that think that? Why do you think every VR console has a refresh rate of at least 90hz?

Switching from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz monitor took longer to get used to than switching from inverted to uninverted mouse usage in fps. The Difference is drastic.

but please provide me with some scientific article that claims the human eye can't see past 60 fps, because i'm eager to see a credible source on the matter and not just some butt hurt console peasant.

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1vy3qe/how_many_frames_per_second_can_the_eye_see/

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1572225-Mythbusting-quot-Human-eye-cannot-see-beyond-60-FPS-quot

Now, where did this myth about "60 FPS" came from in the first place? Most LCD monitors today, let alone 10 years ago, have refresh rate of 60 Hz. On such monitor, no matter how much FPS your application, such as video game, has, you will see only 60 Hz, and additional frames will be ignored. On such monitor, even if your game has 1000 FPS, you will still essentially see 60 FPS.

I stand corrected. FYI I don't have a console but would like to have one.

What the actual fuck?! How on Earth did you play FPSs with an inverted Y-axis?

1 Like

i blame Tie Fighter. Flight simulators naturally had inverted Y axis and if those are your first fps games with aiming, using inverted axis for other fps was a natural transition. Eventually i alpha tested a FPS before there was the option to invert the mouse in the game and had to switch to uninverted.

1 Like

Yeah, that is the tie fighter and wing commander style. Wasn't that uncommon back in the day.